LOGOLYMPIAD 2006

winters in buffalo

banner2-1.gif

It's baaaaaaaaaaaaack!

LOGOLYMPIAD returns for a third glorious year!

Background

For those who don?t know, LOGOLYMPIAD is a design contest that began in 2004 as my 1000th post project. The contest is broken into a series of ?events?, with award icons for each event, as well as for overall winners. If you?re new to the boards in the past year, I?d suggest using the search tool to see what went down at last year?s party.

There will be events that cover both sports and non-sports categories. Each event will vary in difficulty and will consist of a design scenario and a set of criteria, chosen in advance by me. Specific criteria will be posted at the start of each event.

Events

The LOGOLYMPIAD consists of 14 events, one from each of the following categories:

1. Sports-related product

2. Fantasy Team Package

3. Anniversary/ Commemorative Logo

4. Sporting Event Logo

5. Alt. Logo

6. Alt. Uniform

7. Time Warp

8. Wordmark

9. Company Logo

10. Consumer Product

11. Field Art

12. Entertainment

13. Non-sports Event Logo

14. Special Bonus Round

Note: These are the event categories only. Categories are not necessarily listed in the order in which they will occur. Event order will be determined by a random draw.

Each event will run for one week, with two events running each week. Events will start on Mondays and Thursdays, and finish the following Mondays and Thursdays. The first event will be posted later tonight.

Rules

Specific criteria will vary by event, but there is an overlying set of rules for the entire contest:

Any registered board member may enter.

Participants are limited to one entry per event. You may enter as many or as few events as you like.

All entries must be your own original work. You may not use anyone else?s work for any part of your entry. The exception - you may use existing logos and images if it is part of that event?s criteria.

You may use any template you like, unless a template is provided for you.

ssur.org and sportslogos.net shall be the official reference points for team colors and logos.

I will serve as referee, and will answer any questions about rules and event criteria. Questions must be asked, and will be answered, within the event thread. I will not respond to PMs, instant messages or personal emails about an event until it ends. I will also have the final decision in any disputes.

Anyone caught cheating or otherwise compromising the integrity of the LOGOLYMPIAD will be disqualified, stripped of awards and/or banished from future participation.

Submitting your entries

Pay special attention to this part. Failure to follow the guidelines could result in your entry being inadvertently (or intentionally) excluded from judging.

Entries must be emailed to wib_logolympiad@yahoo.com prior to the set deadline. Subject line should be the Event number. Once you submit your entry, it is considered final.

Entries must be submitted as .jpg, .gif or .png formats. File name format is: event#_yourname.jpg (Ex: event2_wintersinbuffalo.jpg)

All final entries must be 800x600 pixels with at least 70 pixels of white space at the bottom of the image, unless otherwise stated. I will not re-size entries that are not properly done, so make sure it?s right.

Do not include your name or any other personal identifiers on your submission. Also, do not watermark your work. I will add a watermark to each entry before they get posted for judging. I will also provide each entry with a number. You are expected to keep the identity of your entry anonymous until the end of the event. If you think you know the identity of another designer, keep it to yourself. Anyone who exposes the identity of themselves or anyone else will be DQ?d.

Judging/Awards

The voting format is the same as last year. There will be two rounds. The first round will take place via secret ballot. All entries for each event will be presented to a panel of judges, who will remain anonymous until the conclusion of the LOGOLYMPIAD. The panel will review the entries and reply to me with their recommendations of whether or not each entry should advance to the finals. Depending on how large the field and how tight the voting, the top seven to ten finalists will advance to the second round.

The second round will be open to public voting. Once the finalists have been posted in the event thread, Voting will be open for 3 days.

Judging is open to all board members who were registered prior to August 1st. This is to ensure no one is voting for themselves under an alternate login.

Members may vote once per event and may not vote for their own entry (I?ll know if you did, and will not count you vote). You may not disclose the identity of any of the designers of the entries until voting closes.

Voting will be via the 3-2-1 points method. Voters will be asked to post their choices for a gold, silver and bronze winner. Gold votes are worth 3 points, Silver worth 2, Bronze worth 1.

What?s at stake

Other than bragging rights and potential portfolio pieces? Medal icons will be awarded at the conclusion of voting to the top points-earners, based on the above scoring system. Results will be posted in the event thread.

In the event of a tie, multiple medals will be awarded, at the expense of lesser-value medals. If there are two gold winners, no silver will be awarded; if there are two silvers, there will be no bronze.

Champion trophy icons will be presented to the top overall winners at the end of the LOGOLYMPIAD and will be determined by total points from weighted medal values - 3 points for each gold, 2 for each silver, 1 for each bronze. Last year?s winners were Braden, stealthfrog and Puckguy14.

Winners can download the posted medal icons for use in their signatures and on their own websites. Please do not link to the images, if the contest is delayed because my photobucket account goes over the bandwidth limit, there?ll be trouble.

A complete list of event-by-event medal winners and overall standings will be posted in this thread and updated at the close of each event. I won?t try to maintain a separate site like last year when we can handle it all in one place right here.

I hope you?ve rested. The party starts later tonight.

And with that, I hereby declare these games?. open.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

medaltable.gif

RESULTS:

EVENT 1: Time Warp

G gojetsgo

S rynoz10

B miltonANDlumberg

EVENT 2: Anniversary Logo/Patch

G gordie

S paynomind

B pollux

EVENT 3: Non-sports event

G GhettoFarmBoy

S pollux

B wolverine 95

EVENT 4: Alternate logo

G paynomind

S chief103182

B GhettoFarmBoy

EVENT 5: Company logo

G roxstarmedia

S GhettoFarmBoy

B paynomind

EVENT 6: Alt. Uniform

G GhettoFarmBoy

S roxstarmedia

B jpslapshot22

EVENT 7: Sports-related product

G jpslapshot22

S gregjigga5

B roxstarmedia

EVENT 8: Entertainment

G roxstarmedia

S gregjigga5

B goNordiques

EVENT 9: Sporting Event Logo

G gregjigga5

S roxstarmedia

B GhettoFarmBoy

EVENT 10: Consumer product

G gregjigga5

S roxstarmedia

B None

EVENT 11: Fantasy team

G roxstarmedia

S GhettoFarmBoy

B None

EVENT 12: Field Art

G roxstarmedia

S ob33

B GhettoFarmBoy

EVENT 13: Wordmark

G roxstarmedia

S ny3351

EVENT 14: Bonus

G roxstarmedia

• 3 weeks later...

It's been asked whether or not I've been DQ'ing any entries that don't meet all the event criteria.

The short answer is no.

Ideally, in an event with many entries, the judges would have eliminated any of those before the public vote. In events with 10 of fewer entries, everything gets posted.

I reserve the right to DQ people for violating contest rules, but in order to remain completely neutral in events, I'm depending on you guys to hold designers accountable to the criteria when you vote.

• 1 month later...

Closing Ceremonies:

14 events have come and gone. In all, we had 15 designers who earned medals.

A select few managed to rise above the rest...

trophy_bronze.gif

With 4 medals and 10 points overall, the bronze trophy goes to gregjigga5.

trophy_silver.gif

With 7 medals, and 15 points, the silver trophy goes to GhettoFarmBoy

trophy_gold.gif

And, with an astounding 10 medals, including 5 golds, for a total of 23 points, I hereby declare the 2007 Logolympiad Grand Champion to be...

ROXSTARMEDIA!

Congratulations to all who won, and thanks to everyone who participated this time around!

Joe, great contest. Thanks for the opportunity.

Congratulations to you Kyler! All I can say is wow! That was quite an impressive showing. You are a most worthy champion, sir.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived