Biron Mask

js °

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has asked you to design his replacement?

I know the original was too big and he went back to using the plain white mask, which I find kinda cool, while he waits for the new one.

I'm really digging the ideas you went with on the new one.

I like the symmetry at the top alot.

If you make those Buffalo eyes bigger, It'd probably look like Marty had 4 eyes. :blink:

If you'd like, I could show these to a Buffalo Sabres forum i frequent and relay their feedback to you somehow (email?). I'd only post the concept with your permission.

AWESOME WORK!

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

john, nothing personal, i love your designs, but if you are going to use logos, you really should stick with the current b/sword and original crest if marty doesnt want the sluggalo.

the other issue here is, the mask you have there looks fine with your altered uniforms, but with what they actually wear it would look pretty ridiculous....

its not even the same color scheme.

2004RedSox.png

thanks for the feedback guys ...

He has asked you to design his replacement?

I know the original was too big and he went back to using the plain white mask, which I find kinda cool, while he waits for the new one.

I'm really digging the ideas you went with on the new one.

I like the symmetry at the top alot.

If you make those Buffalo eyes bigger, It'd probably look like Marty had 4 eyes. :blink:

If you'd like, I could show these to a Buffalo Sabres forum i frequent and relay their feedback to you somehow (email?). I'd only post the concept with your permission.

AWESOME WORK!

Thanks for compliments man .. much appreciated. Biron was looking for a replacement helmet and wasn't sure what he was going to do, keep the white mask he's been using as he likes it, or try once again with a new mask and a new design. I wanted to have something ready for him when he made the decision.

And yeah, go ahead and post away .. I was going to head over to SabreSpace and get some feedback .. as well as the official Sabres forums. The more feedback and ideas I get from fans the better.

john, nothing personal, i love your designs, but if you are going to use logos, you really should stick with the current b/sword and original crest if marty doesnt want the sluggalo.

the other issue here is, the mask you have there looks fine with your altered uniforms, but with what they actually wear it would look pretty ridiculous....

its not even the same color scheme.

When this is to be applied to the current color scheme, it will be changed to match it up ... white buffaloes remain white buffaloes arent getting the PEE treatment here.

John, I'll email you all the feedback that I read in response to the posting of your design.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Nice stuff, as per norm. I love the smaller buffaloes looking over the shoulder of the big one at the bottom. Very well rendered. The only thing I'm not sure that I like, albeit very minor, is the gold at the top. There's just something about it, although I'm not sure what, that I'm not diggin'. I love how you even put the sparkle in the silver paint. Seeing stuff like this makes me want to learn to airbrush even more.

but I would like it better if the secondary logos weren't the script B. Any reason you used these instead of the block B-Sabre secondary?

I'm using my B, because it not only serves well as a throwback fantasy sabres logo, but Biron has liked to put a B on his helmets for BIRON ... and it doubles up for Buffalo also. So I'm taking that the next step, and using it at as a custom B for Biron, kind of like his own mark.

I'm not saying thats cooler or better than using the official B, just saying that that was the rationale.

Yeah the idea of the 'heard' on the mask is a very cool idea. Well thought out, I actually thought the Ducks would come out with something similar in a logo. 'Flying v'. Graphics of the actual buffaloes work very well and nicely designed.

Not feeling the script you used for the B.. it's along the lines of a formal script and doesn't seem to fit in anywhere with the dynamic and clean graphics of the rest of your set.

You are clearly a skilled designer and have mastered photoshop. I would prefer to see your mask on the actual sabres uni's, you're version ain't happening.

I REALLY REALLY like the gold line on the top/back edge of the helmet. Mikka K and Roli have lines on the edge of their masks and imo it adds so much. I like that the line tapers off at the chin so you eventually don't see it - but it would be cool to taper it off closer to the chin so that you CAN still see the gold line a bit. Having the line on the edge of the chin would strengthen it a bit more, even if it tapers off on either side.

Does this make any sense? I can't think of how else to descirbe what i mean.

Also - what if the cage was blue? It might make the buffalo head design easier to see.

gagner3.png

John. I would absolutely love to see how that buffalo you put on the bottom looks at the top. It is a fantastic buffalo, I'd like to see it bigger on the top with the traditional sabres logo on the bottom. Then have your "stampede" buffaloes on the sides. I think that might look really sharp, something to think about.

Wow.. all I can say for this new one, is juicy, thats how I can describe it, and juicy is good.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

JS: First of all, I have always admired your work, you have an eye for details, and aren't aware to takes chances.

As for Marty, Must be hard not only being the back-up to the best young goalie in the League, but the one with the best looking mask...

Speaking of Miller, your first concept reminds me a little too much of Ryan's. Great job, but not original enough. I also feels strange about the eyes on the chin.

LOGOS:

I may have missed out on some other discussions, but I can't see any teams/league allowing a "non-official" logo. I think teh Slug is fine, the hype is passed, and people are used to it.

Second one, is more than adequate, actually GREAT, if you use the official logos.

TEMPLATE: do you have to allow for some "warp" in the logos different imaes to avoid un-necessary deformation once it's put in shape?

BTW, I've always love your photo manipulation to get concepts on real photos, I think you were one of the first I saw doing it. I'd love to see a picture of my favourite Sabres prospect (Adam Dennis) in a Sabres Uniform.

Speaking of Adam, any body knows who design his new mask? I don't see it on Gilders' website (he did his London Knights) I love the Dennis The Menace, it would look so good in Sabres Colours.

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

John...

I can't believe no one in the Sabres organization has tracked you down to do all their design work. Your tenth-best concept trumps the Buffaslug seven days a week and twice on Sundays. I liked the first mask, but I think the 2nd one is better. On the first, I really liked the buffalo head across the jawline, and the herd peeking out over the eyes. But one of my perpetual complaints about the Sabres' look is that unlike the Bills, there is an actual object that can be used to represent the team name instead of copping out and basing everything around the city name. So in a sense, I prefer the 2nd since it is in line with how I would outfit a Sabres goalie. And you kept the herd in the mix, which looks just awesome.

I am, however, with the others who aren't in favor of the script "B". Everything else is tough and rugged and dangerous, but the script is too delicate. I get what your rationale was, but it isn't working well here. Trying to use a single "B" to stand for "Biron" and "Buffalo" left me with the feeling that you forgot that they had a secondary logo with a sword piercing a capital "B" and made this up instead (clearly I know you didn't forget; it's just the impression your "B" gives off). Instead of going in that direction, why not incorporate the "B/sword" design they have, but modify it to serve the dual purpose of Biron's name and the team? Something like the "B/sword" followed by "IRON" (or an actual iron, or iron ore... like a rebus), or even "'B/sword'-RON", and go in the direction of phonetics. You can achieve your dual purpose aim, but essentially redoing an existing logo with a delicate script font came up short.

But that's all I have to suggest. The rest of this is magically good. Juicy, even. :D

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

LOGOS:

I may have missed out on some other discussions, but I can't see any teams/league allowing a "non-official" logo. I think teh Slug is fine, the hype is passed, and people are used to it.

Actually, Marty had unoffial logos from New Blue and Gold project on his old mask. A goalie can put pretty much anything he wants on his mask.

Archived