Marlins to Wear 1997 "Throwbacks"

rmackman

June 8-13 the Florida Marlins are giving out 1997 Championship souveniers to fans walking in the gate (probably stuff that was still left over...haha!) Then on Thursday, June 14th against the Cleveland Indians, the Marlins will be wearing their 1997 World Series "throwback" uniforms. Fans that night will be given replica throwback championship rings.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teal pinstripes, my favorite. I like how I'm now old enough to remember the time that a team is throwing it back to, if you will. I also love how they're doing it against the Indians. I was probably one of only a few Ohioans who were rooting for the Marlins during the 97 world series.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Teal pinstripes, my favorite. I like how I'm now old enough to remember the time that a team is throwing it back to, if you will. I also love how they're doing it against the Indians. I was probably one of only a few Ohioans who were rooting for the Marlins during the 97 world series.

i remember that series too. I was pulling for the marlins that year. i always seem to end up pulling for the marlins everytime they make the postseason, which i think is 2 times in franchise history.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

i remember that series too. I was pulling for the marlins that year. i always seem to end up pulling for the marlins everytime they make the postseason, which i think is 2 times in franchise history.

You're correct. They've never lost a playoff series...6-0 in those...3 in 97, 3 in 03...and no division titles either--both as the wild card entry...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

You're correct. They've never lost a playoff series...6-0 in those...3 in 97, 3 in 03...and no division titles either--both as the wild card entry...

If Alex Gonzalez didn't drop the ground ball, or Dusty Baker pulled Prior, or...

The Cubs should have won.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Whoooooooo, '97 Marlins throwing back to the '06 Marlins. Just think if every team did that!!! Next thing you know you, we'll have some serious silliness going on like the '07 Braves throwing back to the '03 Braves. Whooooooooah!!! Or the '07 Indians throwing back to the '04 Indians!!! Please stop...we can't handle it!!!

What? I don't understand, I assume that's an attempt at sarcasm...

The Marlins were born only 14 years ago (2007 -> 1993 if I am correct) and they don't have a long uniform history in that time. I think that as so many teams throw back to various events these days (lets not forget the fuore over Gigantes the other week...) and the '97 championship was a major triumph for the Marlins, that wasn't really recognised at the time, with the wholefire sale for the players the next year. Commemorating this in a uniform is the oldest thing worth celebrating (unless it were a 1993 season throwback, for the inaugural year) and I certainly don't have a problem with it...

The '97 throwbacks only fix part of the Marlins uniform problem. Bring back the teal hats, or at least the teal hats with black brim. Really, more teal = awesome! Its time some teams stand up and end the black, red, and blue monopoy that owns Major League Baseball. Big ups to the A's and Devil Rays for going with green, and to Baltimore for using Orange brims.

Man, posting as the sun is coming up, with no sleep for close to 24 hours is... odd.

What? I don't understand, I assume that's an attempt at sarcasm...

The Marlins were born only 14 years ago (2007 -> 1993 if I am correct) and they don't have a long uniform history in that time. I think that as so many teams throw back to various events these days (lets not forget the fuore over Gigantes the other week...) and the '97 championship was a major triumph for the Marlins, that wasn't really recognised at the time, with the wholefire sale for the players the next year. Commemorating this in a uniform is the oldest thing worth celebrating (unless it were a 1993 season throwback, for the inaugural year) and I certainly don't have a problem with it...

has the marlins uniforms changed that drastic enough to justify going to a throwback? i can understand ball-in-glove for the brew since they have radically changed uniforms since b-i-g. Though i kinda dig the current home and alternate uniforms of los Cerveceros de Milwaukee.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Considering they seem to wear black every game these days, I'd say the teal pinstripe home with teal wordmark is enough of a difference to justify it. Granted, their current homes are similar, but if they're wearing 10-year commemorative patches... well, a one-series throwback makes more sense than that, in my mind, especially with the games against the Indians.

They should bring back the teal caps at some point for a 1993-1996 throwback game, too.

I'd love to see this, if only for a game or two:

scott_pose_autograph.jpg

Also, I can't quite explain why, but this picture makes me feel like 1993 was actually 1985.

EDIT: Actually, of course I can. Tight pants. That end before the shoe. And the goofy mustache.

wpefl13.jpg

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

I'd love to see this, if only for a game or two:

scott_pose_autograph.jpg

Also, I can't quite explain why, but this picture makes me feel like 1993 was actually 1985.

EDIT: Actually, of course I can. Tight pants. That end before the shoe. And the goofy mustache.

wpefl13.jpg

Don't forget actual high-top cleats, which are virtually impossible to find these days!

Archived