Anaheim Ducks Rebranding

GFB

Rebranding the NHL

New York Islanders

Boston Bruins

Ottawa Senators

Atlanta Thrashers

My next team is the Anaheim Ducks. The Ducks have had one of the strangest identity histories in all of sports. They started as an expansion team owned by Disney and were branded after the Mighty Ducks movie. Now they have a new owner, a new name (sort of), and have removed themselves from that era.

Their rebranding last year took them only half-way to where they should be. This time last year, there were some concepts floating about giving hints to their new identity. They ended up going with the D-Wordmark logo. Though it's better than the Buffaslug, it's not THAT much better as some people would like to believe.

Of the logos floating around, this one was my favorite:

newduckslogo2.jpg

So I decided to bring it into the identity as the primary mark, after making a few minor changes. The secondary mark features an interlocking AD and the tertiary is the flying duck minus the shield....

Anaheim Ducks Logos

Anaheim_Ducks_Logosheet.png

The Ducks won the Stanley Cup in the first year of the black uniforms. To me, the ducks should be teal. My favorite Ducks jersey is the alternate jerseys seen here...

MightyDucks5.gif

But as much as I wanted to make the home jersey teal, I went with a black jersey because of the momentum it is carrying. But with that said, I tried to merge the style of the Mighty Duck era with the current jerseys. I think it turned out really well. The alternate jersey is teal with a Blue Jackets-esk flare.

Anaheim Ducks Uniforms

Anaheim_Ducks_Unisheet.png

C&C please!

My next team will be the New Jersey Devils. A two big things are...

- red/black vs. red/green

- Any ideas on how to improve the NJ logo?

Thanks! Happy belated Independence Day!

GFB

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is very nice and much better than their current set. My only problem is that when you interlock the A and the D the A gets lost in translation and looks a bit like "PD" instead of "AD"

Wow. :censored:ing impressive. I love how the green and orange play off each other, and the combination with black makes it really memorable. The duck itself looks fierce and yet regal, which is exactly what this team's logo should be shooting for. One of the better hockey concepts I've seen.

Another excellent design...with a really really excellent use of the Green and the highlights of orange are a nice touch....the only thing is I'd like to see a script as the third...but that's because I've never been a fan of thirds unless they don't have the primary on them :)

As for your next concept....I'm really looking forward to it as I'm a huge Devils fan...so please please stay with the Red/Black....no one liked the green until it was gone and it just plainly does not make sense :) but that's just my opinion...as far as the logo...as uninspired as it may be given how they are doing their minor league stuff i'd say there's hardly room for improvement unless you are going to try for a different approach...the Devil's head has been done to death but that's because it's never been done well...I'm going to be really interested in what you can come up with because I'm loving this rebranding so far!!! :)

CIDesignSig.png

loving every single one so far.

as for the devils, why not try mixing the current red/black with a touch of their old green? personally i love their logo. iconic, simple and to the point. i personally would like to see the same logo just brought more to the present.

and im a rangers fan

I'm not a huge fan of the colors (especially with the Sharks in the same division), but otherwise incredible. Very nicely done and, in my opinion, far better than what they're actually using.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

primary/tertiary - really nice...great work

colors - very solid, although i'd like to see how the goldish color would look replacing the silver/grey in the logos...orange, green and the right shade of gold could be a solid combo

secondary/wordmark - these don't work as well for me...the interlocking AD simply does not read as AD and the two-toned nature of the wordmark makes it less legible than it should be

great work, otherwise, though

jldesigns404eo.png

I think these are independent enough to be apart from the Sharks jerseys, and unique enough in their colour scheme to look awesome. I personally prefer the tertiary mark over any of the others because it looks less cluttered to me, and I would like to see that on the alt (which has an incredibly wonderful colour to it).

As for NJ, bring back the green.

These are great. I just wish the Ducks had gone with a better logo identity than what the currently use now. I know many people out there see a resemblance to the Sharks, maybe a darkening of the teal to more of a hunter green could work out.

All in all, great work. As for your next project (Devils), I would weigh closer to red/black. As for updating the logo, maybe a different kind of font for the letters could help.

Guest darkpiranha

Perfect except the speed lines on the A (on the interlocking AD) make it look like an R rather than an A.

Wow. Just wow. The color set is tons better than what they went with. The logo is fantastic. You could almost get away with keeping their current number/letter set, the one you used isn't quite congruent with the rest of the look.

Fantastic work.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Very cool, but I think you lose a bit of the detail in the duck because the black outline is too heavy.

Aside from that, and maybe using a darker green that moves further away from the Sharks' teal, and this is gold.

It's Gold, Jerry! Gold!

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived