Uni Watch - OKC

whchoclte

Paul Lukas presents his way how to rip off a logo and be glorified for it.

You will see in the honorable mention Mr. Lukas gives due to Brian Sibley who basically takes the Dallas Desperados logo and recolors it and bam name in lights.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...mp;lid=tab3pos1

I would think ESPN or Mr. Lukas would have done any research to prevent this. Im sure the Mavericks wouldn't have minded using their logo.

UNREAL!!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it that whenever we have these contests, the winners are always crap, while none of the designs generated here make honorable mention? Between this and the Colts contest... it's just mindboggling.

VmWIn6B.png

You will see in the honorable mention Mr. Lukas gives due to Brian Sibley who basically takes the Dallas Desperados logo and recolors it and bam name in lights.

I would think ESPN or Mr. Lukas would have done any research to prevent this. Im sure the Mavericks wouldn't have minded using their logo.

UNREAL!!!

Perhaps he's not a religious follower of arena league.

Write him, let him know, and see what he does.

How did that awesome Barons set not get mentioned? Those uniforms are awesome! There was a pretty cool Cougars logo as well. Not sure what Paul was critical of, but whatever.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

If that's the "best" of the rootin-tootin submissions (as Lukas calls it), it must have been a very shallow field of entries.

Anyway, i'm feelin this one:

2714739608_71f78421b3_o.jpg

I'm sure Mike from Monsters, Inc (and his owners at Pixar/Disney) would have something to say about that logo.

My Cyclones logo got mentioned:

BEST TORNADIC DESIGN: Steven Little, Chicago

Dozens of readers came up with concepts related to tornadoes, cyclones and similar extreme-weather phenomena. Uni Watch suspects this might not sit well with fans who have had their homes damaged or destroyed by twisters, but it's hard not to like Little's design, which does a nice job of incorporating the funnel cloud into the team's logo typography and has a suitably sleek, streamlined look.

But I was wondering if you guys sent yours in b/c there were many on this board that I liked a lot. I remember a Drillers one with an oil rig and your Thunder one, AAO.

That's the problem when it's one guy's taste determining it I guess.

I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a helluva... designeer?

teams_signature.jpg

Why is it that whenever we have these contests, the winners are always crap, while none of the designs generated here make honorable mention? Between this and the Colts contest... it's just mindboggling.

Paul has some strong aesthetic preferences. He's always been much more interested in the quirkiness or cleverness of an idea, rather than the quality of its presentation, and he also has a strong affinity for simpler, older designs. Before people jump on him for having his own opinions, we should remember that the respect generally shown to the Yankees uniforms around here is based on exactly the same preference for old stuff because it's old that informs much of Paul's personal preferences.

I think Paul has some pretty poor taste in uniforms, actually, but the attitudes that go into informing his taste are also what make him such a keen observer and critic of uniform design. So I can live with his irrational dislike of purple, his ridiculous love of 1970s-style high stirrups, and his consistent selection of dreadful contest entries, because the aesthetic preferences that lead him down those particular dead ends also happen to be what makes him the best critic of sports design ever.

(If you have never read his old zine Beer Frame, seek out an issue or two and you'll see what I mean about the relationship between his quasi-nostalgic aesthetic and his obsession with, appreciation of, and ability to write interestingly about product design.)

20082614447.png

UNREAL!!!

It'd be one thing if Lukas just happened to be unaware of that logo. But, if you click on the slide show showing (almost) all of the entries, there are 2 or three other submissions that use a recolored version of the same logo. At that point, Lukas should've figured out that something was up.

wow, that almost hurt to read. terrible decisions...i suppose i can give him a lil credit for picking quirky designs, but still, i just figured the contest would be geared toward what would work best in the system the NBA has going now.

cheers to the ppl who didnt get mentioned, we know the true value of ur work ;)

wow, that almost hurt to read. terrible decisions...i suppose i can give him a lil credit for picking quirky designs, but still, i just figured the contest would be geared toward what would work best in the system the NBA has going now.

Considering how much disdain he has for much of the system the NBA has going now, that's not a particularly reasonable supposition.

I'm not sure everyone here understands Paul. I don't think this was truly a call for people to design NBA-worthy prototypes. It was just a fun contest. That's why he gave some credit for the "good" entries and credit for the "child-like" entries. Paul seems to inject humor where he can and I appreciate what he does.

What we should really be commenting on is the fact that Paul had several hundred grown men design uniforms. That's pretty cool that the uniwatch following has grown enough that he could get that kind of response.

I think Paul does a GREAT job of collecting and displaying uniforms and logos we never would have seen otherwise. It's almost like a service he is providing. However, I agree with the posters here regarding many of Paul's personal tastes. Just different, I guess. I'd rather him do silly stuff like picking that ripoff Desperados (with terrible wordmark) than not have him around doing what he does, though.

I'm proud to call Paul a friend. Paul and I have even had dinner together - we met the night before the first Uni Watch party (March 2006) and had burgers and beer. Talked each other's heads off for a few hours. I think we actually spent more time talking about music, and my professional music career, than we did logos and uniforms.

I was extremely humbled that Paul invited me to be on the Q&A panel for that first party...had a great time at that thing.

I sent him my Thunder and Barons entry...how the hell did that not get up there? I don't get it. Just like the Colts contest all over again. Sad really. And Paul Lukas calls himself an obsessive studier of athletics aesthetics. My a$$.

I saw your Barons one in the gallery that is linked at the bottom of the page.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

I read the article assuming there were going plenty of "creative" entries. The whole "contest" was supposed to be fun and there were some decent entries.

I think this was at least a good concept to work on ^_^

2714575456_1e27fb03be.jpg

I saw, I came, I left.

I sent him my Thunder and Barons entry...how the hell did that not get up there? I don't get it. Just like the Colts contest all over again. Sad really. And Paul Lukas calls himself an obsessive studier of athletics aesthetics. My a$$.

Dude, we all have our own tastes. He likes what he likes, I like what I like, and you like what you like. They don't have to be the same things. Just because he didn't chose your entries doesn't mean he isn't an "obsessive studier of athletics aesthetics." Honestly, there were plenty of designs that were better than both of yours. Sounds like someone needs to get over himself...

and I don't mean Paul Lukas.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived