Baltimore Orioles rebrand

elliott

Hello again, I'm going to be going back to my BPs after this, but I have been working on this concept over the week and I thought that it was about ready to share. There are still some tweaks and changes to be made, but think of this as the first draft, as I'm hoping it can improve.

I think the Orioles bird logo is too detailed, so I just completely overhauled that aspect, and used the partial head logo as a cap logo. It's not exactly what a real oriole looks like but it doesn't stray too far from the overall look of the bird. The gray shadowing is a detail element but it also highlights the feathery aspect, I don't know exactly how to explain it. They don't really have white chests but the darker orange detail I was using wasn't looking right. I'm going to revisit that part though, your responses will help. After the bird logos I just decided to revamp the whole package and added some wordmarks. They are an altered font, with some custom letters worked in, and I took the B as a alternate cap logo. The uniforms focus on orange as there is no orange caps in the league. This concept features 2. Hopefully you like it but I can understand if you don't, just give me some constructive criticism, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Logos:

Orioles2009.gif

Home/Away:

Orioles2009Jerseys-1.gif

Alternate:

Orioles2009Alt.gif

Well, I love the logo. I was never a fan of the cartoon head Oriole. I think the "Orioles" script is good, too, slight modification yet still keeps with the traditional mark, however, the "Baltimore" script is TOO modern, I think. Perhaps if you can find a more "cursive" letter "B", that might be all it needs. The uniforms look good too, but I would recommend the black hat for both home and away versions. And the alternate? Well all I can say is "HOLY CREME-CICLE".

Good job, though.

~UJ

This is a great looking set Elliott. But as far as for the Orioles, I see it as a dwongrade. The ornage hats don't look very good. I would stay witht the black hat ornage brim as you have on the road. The new scripts are too blocky. I prefer the cursive ones they currently use. I like the B hat logo though. Kind of a nice homage to their past cap logos. And as far as the Birds, i feel they are a little too cartoony. The current ones look fairly realistic, as these ones aren't. They look great but I feel it's a downgrade over the current set. I do like pants stripes and the orange alternate. Great job with those.

jNTsTyQ.png

I see this set as an upgrade. I agree with you that their current bird logo is much, much too detailed. You did a great job on fixing that, I love that logo. I think you should stay with their current wordmark though, this one just isn't workin for me. As far the orange caps go, I like them because as you said there are currently no orange caps in the MLB, and it is very unique.

I give this design an A-

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

This is a great looking set Elliott. But as far as for the Orioles, I see it as a dwongrade. The ornage hats don't look very good. I would stay witht the black hat ornage brim as you have on the road. The new scripts are too blocky. I prefer the cursive ones they currently use. I like the B hat logo though. Kind of a nice homage to their past cap logos. And as far as the Birds, i feel they are a little too cartoony. The current ones look fairly realistic, as these ones aren't. They look great but I feel it's a downgrade over the current set. I do like pants stripes and the orange alternate. Great job with those.

Thanks for the comments, but I think you are a little confused about the definition of a cartoony logo. If you look at some of the orioles old logos, they are cartoony. If you look at chief wahoo or asu's sparky, those are cartoony. This really isn't, it is realatively realistic just not very detailed. Look at the eye especially, a major characteristic in cartoony logos is an unrealistic or exaggerated eye.

I really like where this is going. Orange caps = genius. The orange on the chest and tail of the logo does look off. Maybe introduce black or grey where the white is because the underside of the bird should have shadows, not highlights. Like others have said, the script doesn't look right. It seems like something is missing or off. As for the uniforms, I would change the numerals like the scripts. Also, the NOB is much too big. Try testing NOBs with Cattalanato, or some other really, really long name. It's not there yet, but I think you can improve on this.

Thanks for the comments, but I think you are a little confused about the definition of a cartoony logo. If you look at some of the orioles old logos, they are cartoony. If you look at chief wahoo or asu's sparky, those are cartoony. This really isn't, it is realatively realistic just not very detailed. Look at the eye especially, a major characteristic in cartoony logos is an unrealistic or exaggerated eye.

True. My bad, I couldn't think of a better word for cartoony. Less detailed would've been a better way to put it. And I know that's what you were going for.

jNTsTyQ.png

Frankly. few concepts strike me as realistic upgrades to what teams wear now, but this one does. I too dislike the 'cartoon' retro oriole and don't find the new bird cartoonish at all. Always liked the script wordmarks but these are a nice, more modern look. Orange caps look great. Personally I'd suggest the black caps at home and orange on the road but that's subjective. Overall, great job.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Great designs, the only thing I noticed was that you switched the bird's leg postioning from the primary to secondary. I find this looks weird because on the secondary the bird looks like its body is faced away from the viewer but its head is turned all the way about to face the viewer. I think you should keep the legs from the primary. Again, these are fantastic designs.

AtlantaThrashers.pngManchesterUnited_10Sig.png

Nice, but no thanks.

Can you please give some constructive criticism? Like why you don't like it? Obviously you're an O's [sic] fan, so can you tell Elliott what you would like changed?

Elliot- I really like it. I think the new wordmark and number font give an upbeat look to the whole thing, and I love how you focused on orange. One thing that bothers me just slightly is that the "r" and the "i" in "Orioles" are connected. I think there should be just a little space between them, because now it kinda sorta looks like it's an "n." Not really, but I don't know, something looks weird about those two letters being attached.

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

Dig: The Font, the B , and the bird head (less gray though)

Not so much: The black fill in the O on Orioles.

Change: The full body bird. It looks like the Partridge Family bird.

Tweak: Stripes on socks, the amount of gray on the bird, and I think you could tuck the bird head on the B for a chest logo for an Alt or BP jersey. Also the font and logo are modern but the striping is rather old school and seems to me to be a clash of styles.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I have a lot to say about this one, but nothing really bad. Just suggestions.

First, I like the new bird, but the tail just doesn't look right to me. I'm not positive what an actual oriole looks like, but it seems like the tail is cut short. I'm not very fond of the gray either, it looks kind of out of place. It might just be that there is too much gray. I also have a suggestion for your white chest problem. If you look carefully, the Orioles use a cremish type color very scarcely, but they use it. I think that would fit perfectly into the chest. I like your wordmarks a lot though. I'm not usually fond of the blocky type fonts because I really like cursive, but I do like these.

Onto the unis...

I like what you did for the most part on the uniforms, but I think you got rid of too much black. The home primary hat should be black, the belt should be black, and the socks should be black. Other than that, the unis look very good.

Overall, I'm not going to say this is an improvement, but it has the potential to be. Nice job, elliott.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Archived