Indiana Uniform Question

buckeyes

So I was watching the Big 10 Network last night and they were showing an old Indiana vs Illinois game, I don't know what year but Antwan Randal El was on Indiana so I assume thats who they were "spotlighting", but anyways I didn't realize it was Indiana at first becuase they were wearing very strange uniforms, ones I don't remember seeing before. They were wearing these:

indiana-antwan-randle-el.jpg

How long did they wear these for? and does anybody have the logos because they aren't on Chris' page. (This might be a stupid question but I tried to do my research and couldnt find anything)

newsig.jpg

-The Few, The Proud, The Paint Users.-

So I was watching the Big 10 Network last night and they were showing an old Indiana vs Illinois game, I don't know what year but Antwan Randal El was on Indiana so I assume thats who they were "spotlighting", but anyways I didn't realize it was Indiana at first becuase they were wearing very strange uniforms, ones I don't remember seeing before. They were wearing these:

How long did they wear these for? and does anybody have the logos because they aren't on Chris' page. (This might be a stupid question but I tried to do my research and couldnt find anything)

1997-2001; Check the Helmet Project. I knew it was during the Cam Cameron era

It seemed like a concerted effort to make the football program something completely other than the basketball program. I'd guess at the time that the other sports were still branded with the typical IU "trident." Looks like the football program came in from the cold, yes?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

And the funny thing is..I remember liking those uniforms back in the day, too.

(Of course, I also spent a lot of that time tryna figure out how someone could haveended up with the last name Randel El...and didn't Antwaan's brother play on that squad with him?)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Yep. Cam Cameron came in and tried to rebrand the whole school sports identity it seemed with that IU. The untouchable being basketball, though. You'd go to the bookstores and find products with both the older IU, and this oval. Obviously it didn't catch on, thus resulting in a new logo that they will use for decades.

I liked this uni, too, only not for IU. Would have looked good on Texas Tech.

I recall the soccer team also using the 49er ripoff briefly. eh well, sometimes I forget it's Oklahoma Indiana nowadays unless they're in crimson pants.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I recall the soccer team also using the 49er ripoff briefly. eh well, sometimes I forget it's Oklahoma Indiana nowadays unless they're in crimson pants.

Ah, yes, I saw part of that replay too. I remember watching Randle El beat Iowa in those unis in 2000 and just hating them. A perfect example of black showing up where it doesn't belong...

Is there a reason most college teams don't wear high socks? As someone who exclusively follows the NFL, they look like they forgot to finish dressing.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I remember those unis well. I have nightmares about what Randal El did in Commonwealth Stadium, I think he is still running wild. I also remeber a white RB named Smith I believe in those unis. Anyway, I liked them at first, but then again you should have seen them before these. Black in uniforms were all the rage then. But so was TEAL!! :o

I remember seeing these unis in action...DID NOT WORK.

The Hoosier "IU" trident is one of the UNTOUCHABLE college logos to me-it should PERMANENTLY be kept in place.

(of course, Hoosier football doesn't have nearly as strong a tradition as Hoosier basketball, so...)

bYhYmxh.png

I was hoping someone was asking about the one year Crimson and Cream Jerseys. Always wanted to see those. Could never find a picture online.

Please, never mention the cream jerseys/set again. Damn you Sam Wyche. :cursing:

Speaking of the pictures above, I never caught on how these were 49'er rip offs, but it is obvious now. Seriously, thanks for pointing that out.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

I remember those unis well. I have nightmares about what Randal El did in Commonwealth Stadium, I think he is still running wild. I also remeber a white RB named Smith I believe in those unis. Anyway, I liked them at first, but then again you should have seen them before these. Black in uniforms were all the rage then. But so was TEAL!! :o

Alex Smith was probably the RB you're thinking of. I believe he was a senior in '97.

Ah, those IU uniforms take my back to my undergrad days there ('98-'02). People tolerated them, but they were never embraced. There was a branding initiative by the athletic department in '02 that resulted in an upgraded IU logo (color changed from red to crimson and dropped the drop-shadow) and a uniform look across all IU teams, which meant the end of the football logo and uniforms. I, and most IU people, instantly embraced the new look. It's sad that Antwaan was stuck in that look. If not for him there would be no reason for anyone to remember it.

While I didn't care for the "49'er" look, I find the current uni's completely uninspired (Oklahoma ripoff) and I am not a fan of the toning down of the IU logo. I graduated in 89 from IU and in my time they had another boring option, the letter I on the helmet. I wish they would do something to add some character to the IU, because it just doesn't pop. Of course neither does the Nebraska N, the OU from Oklahoma or the Minnesota "M".

My complaint is that a traditional look can be accompanied by some style, not just borrowed basic. Even Penn State, while their uni's are really boring, has some modern wordmarks, logos, etc. that can be used on T-shirts, etc. IU doesn't even have a mascot. (Check out ebay---1979 football media guide---for a picture of the lame attempt at a mascot "Hoosier Pride" that they came up with during Lee Corso's tenure.)

What I would do, and it is not earth shaking. Bevel the IU, using a light and a dark crimson, and use the state outline somehow.

If you want to see what I mean, check out my NCAA10 uniform on Teambuilder.

Do a search for "Indiana", with the designer/owner as "TheThurmas" and you will see what I did to add just a little, a tiny bit, of style to IU's basic image.

Archived