The return of USFL?

mustangdmg

I stumbled upon the news of USFL coming back in Spring 2010.

From what I gather, they plan to have 10-or 12 franchises to start off with. And they will try to place franchises in original cities and team names as much as possible and possibly new cities and team names.

Right now, best source of information is the Wikipedia.

The league have a website, newusfl.com. But it's pretty much useless at this point.

I'm a huge fan of the original USFL. I loved spring football. They made a huge mistake moving their football season to fall and challenged NFL in court. I think USFL would still be playing today if they didn't move it.

It'd be interesting to see if the new USFL can pull it off. But realistically, how will they find players (I mean quality players with skills) with UFL and AAFL existing (if they ever get around to play). Not only that, will they survive the economic climate?

Personally, I'm rooting for the new USFL because they play in the spring. Loves the original logos. I hope they keep the logos but modernize it. Hope they can pull it off.

That is never an encouraging sign.

Especially since this league was first announced a year ago. What exactly have they done in the last twelve months?

I loved the USFL and I think it COULD work, if they don't try and compete with the NFL like they did last time. Maybe it could replace NFL Europe as the spring developmental league. I loved so many of the uniforms...Invaders, Panthers, Bandits, Wranglers, Gold, etc. If they kept salaries low and used many of the original cities, it could work...there are lots of pro football nuts.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

...there are lots of pro football nuts.

Many people have had that thought. Nobody has ever been able to make it work, though.

But it worked in Field of Dreams!!!!!1111oneoneone

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Especially since this league was first announced a year ago. What exactly have they done in the last twelve months?

I loved the USFL and I think it COULD work, if they don't try and compete with the NFL like they did last time. Maybe it could replace NFL Europe as the spring developmental league. I loved so many of the uniforms...Invaders, Panthers, Bandits, Wranglers, Gold, etc. If they kept salaries low and used many of the original cities, it could work...there are lots of pro football nuts.

I agree, but they won't fill up NFL Stadiums, I think they'd need to play in Soccer or Baseball ballparks.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Back when Mike was getting things started he offered me a slot on the USFL's governing board. I asked three questions - all of which he dodged completely - whereupon I realized he was a pretender and that this league would never get off the ground. He's not necessarily a charlaitain or anything, but he had some very unrealistic expectations and ideas - ones that don't translate at all into a workable business model. Consequently, I put the odds of this league playing a game at about 500:1.

nav-logo.png

I think that may even be generous.

If they can't put together a functioning website in twelve months, what on Earth makes anyone think they can organize something as cumbersome and expensive as a professional sports league?

In fairness to them, when I wrote that story last fall they did have a working Web site that listed a team of advisers and a whole host of expected franchise locations. Among them was Portland, which is what drew my interest. They've since replaced it with the shell of a Web site you see now.

The USFL is going to kick back, wait for the UFL to try, fail, and fold.

Why even try to compete with the NFL? It worked one time 50 years ago, and will NEVER happen again.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived