Uploading animated .gif files on Facebook

Gary

I got a status from a good friend of mine as she is trying to figure out can you upload a animated gif file onto your facebook photo albums or profile.

Her Status

Does anybody know how to upload a gif file on Facebook? Is it possible? I did some research and most people say its not possible, but some people say they can get the animation to repeat once.... ???? HELP please :]

Can it be done? I ask this community because I know someone will know

I got a status from a good friend of mine as she is trying to figure out can you upload a animated gif file onto your facebook photo albums or profile.

Her Status

Does anybody know how to upload a gif file on Facebook? Is it possible? I did some research and most people say its not possible, but some people say they can get the animation to repeat once.... ???? HELP please :]

no you can't. I know, i've tried and you can't upload an animated GIF.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

• 3 weeks later...

Her Status

Yes, you can. What you have to do is upload a small animated gif (about 50 KB or less)as your profile photo (Facebook will flatten animated gifs which are to large, but do not detect the smaller ones). It will then be in your profile's album. Your icon itself will NOT be animated. However, you will see it as animated in your Facebook profile photos folder, and by going to that photo, & clicking on "share", it will appear on your wall as animated. - Deb Wong

Her Status

Yes, you can. What you have to do is upload a small animated gif (about 50 KB or less)as your profile photo (Facebook will flatten animated gifs which are to large, but do not detect the smaller ones). It will then be in your profile's album. Your icon itself will NOT be animated. However, you will see it as animated in your Facebook profile photos folder, and by going to that photo, & clicking on "share", it will appear on your wall as animated. - Deb Wong

Tried the small animated gif, can't get it working. Anyone any ideas about this ?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5672294&id=411973359988&fbid=443037939988

Big animation, source code shows it as a .jpg when inspected. I'd love to know how they did it .....

You can rename .gif, .bmp, .jpg, and .png interchangeably and the web browser will be able to display it. It wont be a true JPEG, it is whatever the image's content-type is, which if you take a look at that images information, it displays its content-type as an animated gif.

Shaun Rajewski
Lead Developer, Founder
Epic Web Studios LLC.

You can rename .gif, .bmp, .jpg, and .png interchangeably and the web browser will be able to display it. It wont be a true JPEG, it is whatever the image's content-type is, which if you take a look at that images information, it displays its content-type as an animated gif.

Yup - understand that, but FB now flattens all files uploaded (irrespective of size). Was just wondering if someone knew of a method to get round the flattening process, as one obviously exists specifically for FB.

There is no "secret" to the method. Anything that doesn't need to be resized will animated, sub the thumbnails. Profile Thumbnails are always generated from the base image. If the base image is under 120x120 then the animation will remain intact through both the minimized and maximized views. Anything over that size will need to be resized to fit as a minimized gallery thumbnail, and will lose animation, however the full-size should remain animated.

Shaun Rajewski
Lead Developer, Founder
Epic Web Studios LLC.

• 11 months later...

you can link to them but not upload them without some annoying app which will likely get blocked by your friends because, as others have said, fb isn't my_________ or whatever they call themselves.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• 4 months later...

Archived