Milwaukee Panthers new secondary logo package

illwauk

I had to conduct an interview at the alma mater today and noticed the bookstore promoting some "new additions to the family" (their words, not mine :D). I just snapped these with my camera phone.

3.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5.jpg

4.jpg

I am LOVING the anthromorphic panther logo... though I'd rather it actually looked like Pounce. Of these, it'll probably be the most popular with students and alumni and could possibly become the default primary. I also think the panther-head is a slight upgrade over the current/primary, although I'd like it much better if they hadn't gotten so highlight-happy (and even then, they should've gone with a grey-scale rather than a blue one).

I'm really not feeling anything else though largely because they went the lazy route and doubled up on the academic wordmark (UGH!).

It's not great... But, it's not bad either. Being a part of the University of Wisconsin system, you would have to think that they were going to have their mascot in a Bucky Badger like look.

The only thing that bothers me is this whole Milwaukee name thing. The school is known as the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee or Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Do they want nothing to do with the other Wisconsin schools?

i take it they got the idea of this...

3.jpg

... from this

2730.gif

Yeah... the OP said it in his post...

And yeah, I actually like the "Milwaukee" thing, it's what everyone in the Horizon refers to them as, and it's kind of reminiscent of what Sacramento State and Fresno State do in California.

6fQjS3M.png

It's not great... But, it's not bad either. Being a part of the University of Wisconsin system, you would have to think that they were going to have their mascot in a Bucky Badger like look.

The only thing that bothers me is this whole Milwaukee name thing. The school is known as the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee or Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Do they want nothing to do with the other Wisconsin schools?

Based on what Illwauk posts, I'd assume that is a fair guess.

My question...wouldn't emphasizing the "M" draw comparisons to Marquette?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

They're (half-assedly) in the process of changing the name of the school to the University of Milwaukee, but that's more about wanting to distance itself from UW-Madison in particular rather than the other UW schools. The prevailing feeling is that the Badgers don't call themselves "Wisconsin-Madison," so why should we get stuck with a hyphenated mouthful? The only difference is that we're dropping the state rather than the city.

My question...wouldn't emphasizing the "M" draw comparisons to Marquette?

Probably not since Marquette has always branded itself as "MU." Although I would hope that if they're able to make the name change official, they'd brand the school as "UMil" (as I've alluded to in a number of concepts).

On the first point: you'd think most UW schools would have Bucky-like logos...but not really. Hell, Green Bay and River Falls are the only ones other than Madison that use red at all.

On branding themselves as "Milwaukee": Wisconsin-Milwaukee is a mouthful. As are Wisconsin-Whitewater, Wisconsin-River Falls, etc. Best ways to go are UW acronyms or the city name (or in Stout and Parkside's cases, the half of the name that's not "Wisconsin"). They really aren't doing anything here that other UW's wouldn't do(see below)

t73vzch64n5fanniemu04ei3v.gif

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Most of the other UW schools don't specify "Wisconsin" either unless they're dealing with people out of state. But ironically, Green Bay is one of the few mid-majors that could brand itself only by its initals and get away with it. Much like the LV in UNLV, no one would mistake the GB in UWGB as anything but Green Bay... especially not in the sports world.

6.jpg

I think they look pretty good. The only thing that I'm not a fan of is how the W and M are in this wordmark. I know what they were trying to do but I'd rather have them separated.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

6.jpg

I think they look pretty good. The only thing that I'm not a fan of is how the W and M are in this wordmark. I know what they were trying to do but I'd rather have them separated.

That's the exiting wordmark, and the locked letters is something of their trademark. Been that way for years, both in the wordmark and in the campus seal.

UW-Milwaukee.png

media-CE270DC1.png

Yup... although the way it's executed made more sense in the previous version.

uwm.gif

They slimmed down the "UW" a little under a decade ago, right around the time they started to emphasize "Milwaukee" over "UWM" (most people still casually refer to it as UWM though).

• 1 year later...

Believe me, I've been looking for some (the standing panther in particular), but no go. But I do have a decent mock-up of the M if that helps.

Archived