Finnish Winter Classic

taantumus

The Finnish SM-liiga is looking to hop on the bandwagon with the outdoor hockey games. In February two Helsinki-based teams, Jokerit and HIFK, are going to play a league game at the Helsinki Olympic stadium.

I think the promotional poster is quite nice:

Talviklassikko_juliste.jpg

They even have the seating chart in the same style:

jokerit_stadikka_katsomokartta_web_iso.jpg

I don't know whether they are going to play in their usual jerseys or have some special sweaters, but I can keep you posted.

Where is the Helsinki Olympic Stadium? My wife and I took her parents to Finland back in 2004 - spent time in and around Helsinki and Turkuu. My father-in-law was half-Finnish, and grew up speaking Finnish. He was VERY proud of his Finnish heritage...we felt so good about being able to take him there...it was a life-long dream of his to go.

Bob (my father-in-law) just passed away on August 17th...but that trip to Finland was one of the highlights of his life.

• 3 months later...

That had to be an incredible event! The fans look like they really got into it and had a blast. The uniforms and poster look great too!

I love using the Euro teams on my NHL 09 game, I actually use Jokerit often (along with the Swedish Frolunda Indians). I wonder if in NHL 12, they'll include these uniforms. That would be really cool.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Nice! Ugh, colour-on-colour.

Fixed.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

Not liking colour-on-colour isn't so much me being a hockey purist or anything. It's more to do with me not liking football/soccer (despite hailing from the football obsessed nation that is the UK) or any of these football elements, such as colour-on-colour, and even worse, that :censored:ing "¡Olé!" chant song, worked into hockey culture. But that's just me. [/rant]

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived