Ranking cities with at least 4 major teams

eliasrappaport

I'll put it this way. The Panthers mainly market to Miami, not Ft Lauderdale. That's the difference between them and the Columbus Blue Jackets who mainly market themselves as a Columbus team.

No, I totally get what you are saying, and I consider the Panthers part of Miami sports, but Fort Lauderdale is most certainly its own city

I've been there 5-6 times and it's really not. It's an airport city with some business. A city has to at least be like Omaha or Sacramento. This is like Reno.

I'll put it this way. The Panthers mainly market to Miami, not Ft Lauderdale. That's the difference between them and the Columbus Blue Jackets who mainly market themselves as a Columbus team.

No, I totally get what you are saying, and I consider the Panthers part of Miami sports, but Fort Lauderdale is most certainly its own city

Sort of like Oakland is separate from San Francisco, Foxboro is separate from Boston, Glendale is separate from Phoenix, Auburn Hills is separate from Detroit, East Rutherford is separate from New York, Landover is separate from Washington and Arlington is separate from Dallas, right?

Lol these arguments are great. No one cares if its 10 minutes away from the city proper or if you even consider a city a city. The whole point was what general location has the nicest looks.

For me, I would say the bay area is the nicest. Sharks are one of my favourite teams, I'm a sucker for the A's look even though I don't like them, Giants have a nice look. 49ers and Raiders have classic looks and Golden State is pretty unique.

Question regarding LA - someone mentioned earlier - you said name US cities with 4 pro teams, not necessarily of different sports so I would assume Angels, Dodgers, Kings, Ducks, Lakers, and Clippers would be 6 pro teams anyway. Whatever it may be, I think Toronto should be a wild card since it is the only Canadian city with 4 Pro teams and if it did count, I would rank my city at the top - as long as the Raptors go purple again :P

Why is NY split if you lump the Bay Area and all of South Florida together? (And neither the Giants nor the Yankees play in Manhattan BTW).

You also left the Raiders and the A's out of the Bay Area

Bay Area is together because those are the general SF teams (Sharks is only stretch one), NY is split up because 8 teams is too much to make a good comparison and data shows that Manhattan likes the Giants, Yankees, Knicks, and Rangers the most. The Jets are only popular in Long Island, the Mets are popular in both but generally less in Manhattan. The Nets and Islanders are clearly Long Island teams. I don't even get your South Florida problem. All those teams are "Miami" except the Panthers who plays 45 minutes out.

Jets are probably more popular in New Jersey these days than Long Island, even if they originated playing in Queens. You can probably say the same for the Nets at this point.

As for South Florida, the Panthers play closer to Ft. Lauderdale than Miami (about and hour + away) and the Dolphins play in Miami Gardens which is close to a half hour outside of Miami. Both of which are farther than the trek from New York City to Brooklyn/Nassua/Meadowlands

1. The only county that has the Jets as their favorite team is in Long Island.

2. Nets play in Brooklyn

3. The pistons play in Auburn Hills, the Patriots play in Foxborough, etc. Miami Gardens is no different. They're a Miami team.

4. The Northeast is super condensed so 10 miles is like 60 miles down in Florida. That's why I include the Panthers. Also Ft Lauderdaile isn't really a city so it doesn't count.

1. Long Island is not a single county, it's two Nassau and Suffolk. .

2. I'm aware the Nets play in Brooklyn but they just spent about 30 years in NJ which is where the majority of their fanbase resides, similar to the Jets, even if they're still outnumbered by Giants and Eagles fans in NJ.

3. My poiint was that they dont play in the City proper which is why you were previously discounting the Nets and Mets as being in a separate market. Why do the Brooklyn/Queens/Long Island teams get shipped off to some bizarro "other NY" market yet every other city's outlying suburban teams get pulled in?

4. As a former resident of Ft. Lauderdale I take exception to this. What is your criteria for being a "real city?"

Ft. Lauderdale is more comparable to Arlington than it is to Ft. Worth.

Roughly the same distance, yes.
Different culturally than its larger counterpart, maybe.

But that's about it. Ft. Worth is a lot more powerful and bigger compared to the larger city in its shared metro area than Ft. Lauderdale is.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Ft. Lauderdale is more comparable to Arlington than it is to Ft. Worth.

Roughly the same distance, yes.

Different culturally than its larger counterpart, maybe.

But that's about it. Ft. Worth is a lot more powerful and bigger compared to the larger city in its shared metro area than Ft. Lauderdale is.

I'll agree with all that. Ft. Lauderdale is to Miami as Arlington is to Dallas.

They're all still separate cities though.

Here's the list of US cities with at least 4 major teams..

New York (Giants, Yankees, Knicks, Rangers)

Brooklyn/Not Manhattan (Jets, Mets, Nets, Islanders)

Chicago (Bears, Cubs, White Sox, Bulls, Blackhawks)

Philadelphia (Eagles, Phillies, Sixers, Flyers)

Boston (Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins)

Washington (Redskins, Nationals, Wizards, Capitals)

Miami (Dolphins, Marlins, Heat, Panthers)

Dallas (Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks, Stars)

Phoenix (Cardinals, Diamondbacks, Suns, Coyotes)

Bay Area (49ers, Giants, Warriors, Sharks)

Denver (Broncos, Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche)

Detroit (Lions, Tigers, Pistons, Red Wings)

Minneapolis (Vikings, Twins, Timberwolves, Wild)

How would you rank these, all looks considered?

The Jets and the Giants both play in New Jersey, so the Giants would also be in the "Brooklyn/Not Manhattan" section.

If we're just saying they're separate cities, then that's fine.

(Sorry if the "HELL NO" was a little forced. I'm a little used to other people thinking that my city is a suburb)

Oh no, my point was that even though they're close in proximity, they're all separate from each other.

Here's the list of US cities with at least 4 major teams..

New York (Giants, Yankees, Knicks, Rangers)

Brooklyn/Not Manhattan (Jets, Mets, Nets, Islanders)

Chicago (Bears, Cubs, White Sox, Bulls, Blackhawks)

Philadelphia (Eagles, Phillies, Sixers, Flyers)

Boston (Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins)

Washington (Redskins, Nationals, Wizards, Capitals)

Miami (Dolphins, Marlins, Heat, Panthers)

Dallas (Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks, Stars)

Phoenix (Cardinals, Diamondbacks, Suns, Coyotes)

Bay Area (49ers, Giants, Warriors, Sharks)

Denver (Broncos, Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche)

Detroit (Lions, Tigers, Pistons, Red Wings)

Minneapolis (Vikings, Twins, Timberwolves, Wild)

How would you rank these, all looks considered?

Won't take the time to rank the whole list but:

BEST is Chicago

WORST is Phoenix

87Redskins.png

Fort Lauderdale is largely indistinguishable from the rest of the sprawl except for some skyscrapers and an airport. You can drive for miles in non-Miami South Florida without any sense of place. With the right route, you can feel like you've been at the same intersection thirty times.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

For the love of god, please stop arguing over semantics. I made a list of teams and grouped them together. I didn't try to offend anyone... To answer two quick questions...

1. The Manhattan thing is just because that combination of football/baseball/basketball/hockey teams are mostly liked in Manhattan whereas the others find their fanbases elsewhere in the area.

2. LA isn't here because they lack a football team making it an unfair comparison. Pretty simple.

Archived