Columbus Crew to Unveil New Logo October 8

Shmee

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish MLS teams would unilaterally decide on SC vs FC.

Like I am a soccer fan. I get the European naming conventions re: FC, because that's what it is there, Football/Futbol. And I'm not coming at this from a jingoistic angle like our old friend Panthers, but if we're going to do that in America, I'd prefer SC. It is Major League SOCCER after all. You're not going to get the same confusion over Sporting Club vs Soccer Club over here that you would over there (although there is Sporting Kansas City, but that's a dumb thing for a different day.)

---

As for the crest itself, I think it's great. Huge upgrade from their prior logo. The white keystroke is pointless, but eh. Everything else works. Can't wait to see it in use on the jerseys.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I find myself thinking this is good, and the use of the old shield shape is clever, but as a whole, it's not worth most of the more extreme praise it's getting. I'd probably be a bit more on board if they'd instead incorporated a hardhat as a reference to the three guys, cus let's be real, that's what we're gonna remember about the old crest.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I want to like it more than I do, but it feels just a little too on the nose for me. There's a fine line between homage and duplication, and I think it veers too much toward the latter.

medium.JPG

I mean, I know Columbus has an Oktoberfest and all...

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

that promotional video was 98% cliche ad agency bull :censored:

other than that, i like the logos a lot. the stripe idea might be one too many and doesn't really mean anything important but it is a cool primary logo. the colors have always been great and the patterns really stand out from the other teams.

im a bit thrown by the arched word mark being inspired by "all the arches of Columbus". i guess they mean the Short North arches? still, it's all a pretty good execution of all the things they wanted to hit and the focus of representing a young up and coming city is right on. good job Crew

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Re: Chiva USA: I recently read an article (on Deadspin?) that they will cease operations.

Here is the article: http://screamer.deadspin.com/report-mls-will-shut-down-chivas-usa-1640473643/+barryap

Per ESPN, Chivas USA is expected to cease operations after season's end and remain dormant for a minimum of two years before coming back as a totally different club, which is a politically correct way to say they're blowing it all up and starting over. It's the nuclear option for an MLS club that seemed doomed from the beginning.

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

Huge upgrade, but that's not saying much. It's nice and clean though, so I like it. The style actually reminds me of the new MLS logo a little. My biggest complaint is that the inside of the circle is too busy with the checkerboard, diagonal stripes, and 96 shield. I would've ditched the stripes and gone only with the checkerboard and shield on the inside.

New England, you're up next...

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Through this release I learned that MLS has a new logo as well.

I'm not a big fan of the new league logo, but it's a step in the right direction from their current dated logo and represent a grown up league.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Meh. Unfortunately similar to NYC's logo. The text spacing is super awkward, it's all I can see when I look at the logo. I wonder if they could have centered the "crew" word and incorporated SC somewhere inside the roundel - if you have to include SC in the logo.

This logo is weak. It's got no soul to it. Nothing about it says Columbus, Ohio to me

I don't see how that's possible. It's a big "O" and we all know that Columbus is the capital of Ohio. Plus, it's influenced by German soccer, and we all know Columbus is super German.

Yes, I'm being facetious. It's more handsome than the three guys logo, but not nearly as interesting. I'm sad we've lost it. I'll be said when we lose the Revolution logo too. It being a product of its time is a feature, not a bug.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived