Minor League Baseball Affiliations

YELDARBfield

i bet the nashville sounds will have milwaukee brewers inspired look for next year

I would be very surprised if this happened. If they do rebrand, it will be very Nashville-centric. Either throwback to r/w/b of pre-1998 or some sort of tie-in of a team that played at the old Sulphur Dell park.

I maybe could see them sporting a Brewers inspired alternate jersey or something, but I seriously doubt they would center a rebrand around their parent club. Especially in the middle of Reds/Cards/Braves territory.

EDIT: Their PDC with the Brewers also runs out at the end of this season. Although it would be incredibly foolish of the Brewers not to renew with both Nashville and Huntsville/Biloxi as they move to brand new facilities (which Milwaukee has been fighting for at both levels for years), I don't think it's wise to brand a new team or building based on the parent club. Plus, I remember hearing some grumblings a couple of months ago about some PCL teams out west playing musical affiliates. Who knows how that could shake out the rest of AAA.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When a minor league baseball team gets a new affiliation, what happens to the players? Do they go to the new MLB team you are affiliated with? I imagine they would if they are not part of the 40 man roster (and those guys would move to their MLB team's new AAA team) and the new team would then have the ability to select their contract. Am I off base here?

KISSwall09.jpg

When a minor league baseball team gets a new affiliation, what happens to the players? Do they go to the new MLB team you are affiliated with? I imagine they would if they are not part of the 40 man roster (and those guys would move to their MLB team's new AAA team) and the new team would then have the ability to select their contract. Am I off base here?

The MLB team is the one who owns, pays, and assigns the players to a level in their own organization. If an MLB team and a Triple-A team decided to discontinued their PDC (player development contract) and change affiliations, then the players go to whatever Triple-A team is now affiliated with their MLB team. The purpose of the 40-man roster (as I understand it) is to limit the superfluous movement of their players between the levels.

All players are drafted and/or signed by an MLB organization, not a Minor League team. The MiLB teams just provide a place for the MLB teams to develop their prospects, a league for them to play in, share in transportation and housing costs, etc.

Is that clear as mud?

ALL players, regardless of MiLB level or 40-man roster status, go to the new affiliate of the MLB team that they play for. The individual minor league teams have no control over their roster. It's all determined by the MLB club. Maybe excluding the DL, not sure.

And anybody on the 40-man roster can go to any level of the minor leagues. It just means they can be called up to the majors without having to remove someone else from the 40-man.

The brewers will move their triple a team to Fresno

Sounds like it's the Brewers to Fresno, Giants to Sacramento, and the A's to Nashville.

I hope my Crew gets the Albuquerque Isotopes as our affiliate ;)

bYhYmxh.png

Also some rumors that Colorado and Colo. Springs might be splitting up with Rockies going to Vegas.

That would leave Astros and Mets to duke it out over ABQ and CSP.

So much for considering geography with affiliates at AAA?

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

The brewers will move their triple a team to Fresno

Sounds like it's the Brewers to Fresno, Giants to Sacramento, and the A's to Nashville.

I hope my Crew gets the Albuquerque Isotopes as our affiliate ;)

Fresno? Albuquerque? And I thought Nashville was out of the way from Milwaukee.

It's too bad Fox Cities Stadium isn't being considered for an upgrade to AAA level. Madison would be a no brainer too if Barry Alvarez wasn't so adamantly opposed to reviving the Badgers baseball program.

So much for considering geography with affiliates at AAA?

Yeah I know what you mean. I know teams are changing affiliations here and there, but not having the team at least close by (like 1-2 states over) is just ridiculous IMO.

And the Colorado Rockies possibly dropping the Colorado Springs Sky Sox? Come on, that's just crazy. It's literally only a HOUR away.

And Vegas is a wasteland. The Dodgers couldn't wait to get out of there, and the Mets only moved in because they couldn't get a deal done elsewhere and got stuck with Vegas in a game of affiliation musical chairs.

Toronto also got stuck with Vegas a few years back.

It just seems so... practical to have the AAA team close by, in case of injury call-ups or whatever else.

Now I'm curious which team has its farm clubs in closest proximity. My first instinct was to say the Red Sox since they've got three clubs within 90 minutes (Pawtucket, Lowell and Portland) but then they've got two teams in the south, so maybe not.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

It just seems so... practical to have the AAA team close by, in case of injury call-ups or whatever else.

Now I'm curious which team has its farm clubs in closest proximity. My first instinct was to say the Red Sox since they've got three clubs within 90 minutes (Pawtucket, Lowell and Portland) but then they've got two teams in the south, so maybe not.

My guess would be the Braves...

bYhYmxh.png

My guess would be the Braves...

The Cardinals are pretty close as well = Memphis, Springfleld, MO, Peoria, Johnson City. State College and Jupiter are the only two not connected to Missouri.

Cards.png

i bet the nashville sounds will have milwaukee brewers inspired look for next year

I would be very surprised if this happened. If they do rebrand, it will be very Nashville-centric. Either throwback to r/w/b of pre-1998 or some sort of tie-in of a team that played at the old Sulphur Dell park.

I maybe could see them sporting a Brewers inspired alternate jersey or something, but I seriously doubt they would center a rebrand around their parent club. Especially in the middle of Reds/Cards/Braves territory.

EDIT: Their PDC with the Brewers also runs out at the end of this season. Although it would be incredibly foolish of the Brewers not to renew with both Nashville and Huntsville/Biloxi as they move to brand new facilities (which Milwaukee has been fighting for at both levels for years), I don't think it's wise to brand a new team or building based on the parent club. Plus, I remember hearing some grumblings a couple of months ago about some PCL teams out west playing musical affiliates. Who knows how that could shake out the rest of AAA.

I'd prefer the Brewers try to get the Indianapolis affiliation back since that's the closest AAA city to Milwaukee. Better yet, I'd love to see Fox Cities Stadium expanded and upgraded so the Timber Rattlers could join the IL or PCL (preferably as the Fox Cities Foxes). They already play in a bigger media market than Iowa, Omaha, Toledo, Syracuse, and Colorado Springs.

I'd prefer the Brewers try to get the Indianapolis affiliation back since that's the closest AAA city to Milwaukee. Better yet, I'd love to see Fox Cities Stadium expanded and upgraded so the Timber Rattlers could join the IL or PCL (preferably as the Fox Cities Foxes). They already play in a bigger media market than Iowa, Omaha, Toledo, Syracuse, and Colorado Springs.

That's what I want to see too

Archived