Minor League Baseball Affiliations

YELDARBfield

The Yankees switched their AAA club from Columbus to Trenton because of travel concerns. They wanted easier call-ups and rehab assignments.

Trenton's Double-A. Their Triple-A team is in Scranton-Wilkes Barre.

You're right, of course. Thanks for the correction. But the reason behind the change remains.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So why would the Rockies choose to drop Colorado Springs? Something must be very wrong with that club.

I'll have to search for the article, but I believe Ballpark Digest said Colorado Springs had the lowest attendance in AAA. I know Colorado's supposed to be wonderful in the summer, but you'd think the Rockies affiliation would give the Sky Sox at least enough of a jolt to not be in the doldrums.

It actually looks like the Brewers could end up farther away in Fresno:

Two sources told me only that the A's would not be returning to Sacramento and that the Giants are the likely new tenant at Raley Field. The other two told me that it will end up as a three-way movement, with the Giants going to Sacramento, the A's going to the new ballpark in Nashville and the Milwaukee Brewers (currently in Nashville) ending up in Fresno.

That's the 7th paragraph of this article.

Twitter • Facebook • Instagram • LinkedIn • Tumblr

The Mets re-upped with Las Vegas.

Are minor league teams still allowed to participate in the draft each June? I know a few did it some time ago, but I haven't paid much attention since...

No. The ones who did pick were unaffiliated (they didn't have an MLB parent club) and there are none of those left in MiLB. And even if there were any unaffiliated teams, they wouldn't be allowed to pick due to a change in rules in 1990 after the Miami Miracle pissed off MLB teams by drafting a bunch of players.

The story is here.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/ask-ba/2011/2612320.html

• 3 weeks later...

That would be pretty funny to see a Giants affiliate in "Oakland territory". THEY ARE SURROUNDED!

I wouldn't say it's Oakland territory or San Francisco territory.

Northern California has a complete split on San Francisco and Oakland teams.

No. A's are pretty much the East Bay and that's it. The Giants have everything else in the Bay.

Go A's!

Appalachian League (Rookie-A) news:

Mariners out, Yankees in at Pulaski: http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140909&content_id=93875220&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

That would be pretty funny to see a Giants affiliate in "Oakland territory". THEY ARE SURROUNDED!

No. A's are pretty much the East Bay and that's it. The Giants have everything else in the Bay.
I'd be willing to disagree. South Bay has a big A's fan base (I'd say split), and Sacramento is just about split. Giants are the flavor of the day because of the nice ballpark and recent World Series titles.

I'd be willing to disagree. South Bay has a big A's fan base (I'd say split), and Sacramento is just about split. Giants are the flavor of the day because of the nice ballpark and recent World Series titles.

I don't think so. I have lived in the East Bay and South Bay. More Giants presence in the South Bay. A's presence is strong, but nowhere near what the Giants have now. Flavor of the month sure, but still overall, lots more Giants.

Sacramento was a part of NorCal that the A's had and now that's going to be taken away. Adding with the SJ Giants, that's two minor league teams (assuming Giants get the Cats) that the Giants have sandwiching NorCal. Tough for the A's.

Go A's!

Lots of moves yesterday & today, with a few remaining. Keep track here:

http://ballparkdigest.com/200905261902/minor-league-baseball/news/affiliate-dance-2012

- Dodgers to Oklahoma City (AAA) and Tulsa (AA)

- Colorado to Albuquerque (AAA) and New Britain (AA)

- Twins to Chatanooga (AA)

- Cubs to Myrtle Beach (Hi A)

- Indians to Lynchburg (Hi A)

Remaining teams are:

AAA

Colorado Springs (Houston/Milwaukee, with Oakland as a longshot)

Nashville (Brewers didnt renew, but could re-sign)

Fresno (Oakland makes the most sense)

Sacramento (probably Giants)

High A

Daytona (FSL) - Sounds like a Reds deal is imminent, but Braves would work too

Carolina Mudcats - Indians ditched, probably Braves since it's Braves territory

Bakersfield & High Desert (Cali) - Rangers and Mariners will duke it out, Mariners opted out of High Desert but could return.

This blog does a good job of keeping track as well. The colors help. :)

http://minorleaguesource.com/pdc.html

That and the link above AstroBull shared are the two bookmarks I use every two years at affiliate renewal time.

Anyway, the Cubs were rumored to be interested in Fort Wayne of the Midwest League, but it seems they re-upped with the Padres. It's likely back to Kane County unless South Bend can woo them.

High A

Carolina Mudcats - Indians ditched, probably Braves since it's Braves territory

That's unfortunate, but not terribly unexpected. The "AA to A" move of the Mudcats (achieved by buying the A-level Kinston team and moving it to Zebulon, and selling the AA-level franchise so it could relocate) two years ago has backfired, big time. While not that long ago they were viewed on par with the Durham Bulls here, now they're an afterthought.

nav-logo.png

Archived