Complete College Football Redesign (Sun Belt Pt. 2 11/20)

mbannon92

In my most ambitious project to date, I'll be redesigning or tweaking uniforms for every team in the FBS -- that's right, all 125 of them. I'll be going conference by conference, starting with the Power 5. I'll break each conference up into its divisions (or if there are none, 2 groups) and post on Mondays and Thursdays.

Some general guidelines I'll be following:
- Up to 3 helmets, 3 jerseys, and 3 pants per team (sorry Oregon).
- No more Russell.
- No more matte or chrome helmets! All helmets will either be a glossy or satin (i.e. A&M, Seahawks) finish
- One template per manufacturer (Elite 51 for Nike, tire tread for adidas, Maryland/Texas Tech for UA)
- Overall, my main goal for each team is to create consistency within the look and with the rest of the athletic program. For some teams, this will mean ditching classic looks to look more like the rest of the school's teams, and for others this will mean creating a look for the other teams to adopt.

ACC
Atlantic: Boston College | Clemson | Florida State | Louisville | NC State | Syracuse | Wake Forest
Coastal: Duke | Georgia Tech | Miami | North Carolina | Pittsburgh | Virginia | Virginia Tech

Big Ten
East: Indiana | Maryland | Michigan | Michigan State | Ohio State | Penn State | Rutgers
West: Illinois | Iowa | Minnesota | Nebraska | Northwestern | Purdue | Wisconsin

Big XII
Baylor | Iowa State | Kansas | Kansas State | Oklahoma | Oklahoma State | Texas | TCU | Texas Tech | West Virginia

Pac 12
North: Cal | Oregon | Oregon State | Stanford | Washington | Washington State
South: Arizona | Arizona State | Colorado | UCLA | USC | Utah

SEC
East: Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Mizzou | South Carolina | Tennessee | Vanderbilt
West: Alabama | Arkansas | Auburn | LSU | Mississippi | Mississippi State | Texas A&M

Independents
Army | BYU | Navy | Notre Dame

American

Cincinnati | Connecticut | East Carolina | Houston | Memphis | SMU | Temple | Tulane | Tulsa | UCF | USF

C-USA

East: FAU | FIU | Marshall | Middle Tennessee | Old Dominion | UAB | WKU

West: Louisiana Tech | North Texas | Rice | Southern Miss | UTEP | UTSA

MAC

East: Akron | Bowling Green | Buffalo | Kent State | Miami (OH) | Ohio | UMass

West: Ball State | Central Michigan | Eastern Michigan | NIU | Toledo | Western Michigan

Mountain West

Mountain: Air Force | Boise State | Colorado State | New Mexico | Utah State | Wyoming

West: Fresno State | Hawai'i | Nevada | San Diego State | San Jose State | UNLV

Sun Belt

Appalachian State | Arkansas State | Georgia Southern | Georgia State | Idaho | Louisiana-Lafayette | Louisiana-Monroe | New Mexico State | South Alabama | Texas State | Troy

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the syracuse stripe. it's different and ties into the basketball team a little bit. My only complaint is that Louisville and Clemson look too similar to what they already have. id like to see you be more creative with those two schools since their uniforms always seem to be so simple.

ACC Atlantic

Links: Boston College | Clemson | Florida State | Louisville | NC State | Syracuse | Wake Forest

Boston College

- Eagle wings added to helmet.
- Black reintroduced to scheme as a trim color.

ErTiGdA.png?1

Clemson

- Braisher stripes added to sleeves.
- UPDATE: New wordmark added to helmet bumper.

ifMfcWs.png?1

Florida State

- Removed the new pattern from the collar. It's too much IMO.
- Home numbers changed to white and road numbers changed to garnet.

KBCarkk.png?1

Louisville

- Helmet stripes now go bumper to bumper.
- Color of stripes flipped on red elements.
- Black uniform added.

LY5jSIU.png?1

NC State

- Old wordmark brought back
- Mascot logo added under back collar
- Black jersey added

MMWS60R.png?1

Syracuse

- Emphasis on ORANGE for the ORANGE
- Stripes have four breaks in honor of the famed number 44 (these would also be used for other sports)
- New number font to complement wordmark

y730Eck.png?1

Wake Forest

- Outline added to helmet logo
- Mascot logo added to collar
- Striping based off basketball uniforms

4dAdExh.png?1

Favorite part - "No Russell"

Many of the designs just feel like transitions to the template (Clemson), while others are ever so slightly tweaked (FSU, Louisville). The other ones - the more 'redesigned' ones - feel lacking. I don't think BC needs a helmet decal, and even so I'm not a fan of the wings. Syracuse and Wake Forest (and BC for that) all are pretty plain except the collar bone stripes. I feel like the concepts need a bit more work, but I'm liking what you've got going so far.

Edit: I posted this before you posted your reasonings for the changes. I do like and appreciate your reasons, but still think some of these designs could use a bit more.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Some responses:

In my last CFB thread I put the wings on the BC helmet, and it was met with universal acclaim, so I'm not sure what's going on this time! It's one thing I won't budge on though. To me, only a few teams can pull off a logoless helmet, and BC isn't one of them. Especially when those wings fit perfect on a helmet. And I don't mind that they're "copying" The NFL's eagles, since this is a college team.

To Clintau24, when you say the designs "need more'" what do you mean? I'm willing to listen, but that's a little vague :)

I understand it's vague. I wish I could give you a definitive answer though. I'd like to see Syracuse and Wake Forest have a bit more than simple striping. I just feel like there's a lot more that can be done. Again, sorry for being so vague.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Hopefully this second batch gets some more commentary!

UPDATE: New wordmark added to Clemson helmet bumper.

ACC Coastal

Links: Duke | Georgia Tech | Miami | North Carolina | Pittsburgh | Virginia | Virginia Tech

Duke

- Striping based off basketball uniforms (as most Duke concepts have).

- Football-in-D logo on helmet.

QaQHCcd.png?1

Georgia Tech

- Switch to Nike (because they wear Nike shoes).

- Return to classic double striping, most recently from the Calvin Johnson era.

- No honeycomb! (It's gimmicky.)

qpFdMHk.png?1

Miami

- Striping pattern sort of a combination of the 80s/90s look and this set from the 70s.

- Color of helmet stripes flipped for better consistency within set, and helmet logo enlarged.

- Alternate green helmet would be the same finish as this alternate helmet from a couple years back.

eq3oTwt.png?1

North Carolina

- Navy is back, as it should be.

- Argyle pattern from basketball uniforms used throughout.

- Number font is the same as the basketball uniforms.

utI9F2c.png?1

Pittsburgh

- Not many changes, as their set is one of the classiest around.

- Number font from basketball uniforms that matches the "PITT" logo used.

- Panther head logo added to pants.

9mSrN26.png?1

Virginia

- Number font and coloring taken from basketball uniforms. (Interesting side note: the font Virginia uses for its wordmark and numbers is the same as Cincinnati, but not italicized.)

- Sword added to each side of the pants.

QniNh3n.png?1

Virginia Tech

- UCLA striping officially becomes the only look for the team. (I think they may still have different, modern uniforms, but I'm not sure.)

- Number font from previous uniforms and Pro Combat look used.

- Stripes on ALL the pants!

bmGhJCx.png?1

Hopefully this second batch gets some more commentary!

UPDATE: New wordmark added to Clemson helmet bumper.

Duke

- Striping based off basketball uniforms (as most Duke concepts have).

- Football-in-D logo on helmet.

QaQHCcd.png

North Carolina

- Navy is back, as it should be.

- Argyle pattern from basketball uniforms used throughout.

- Number font is the same as the basketball uniforms.

utI9F2c.png

Virginia Tech

- UCLA striping officially becomes the only look for the team. (I think they may still have different, modern uniforms, but I'm not sure.)

- Number font from previous uniforms and Pro Combat look used.

- Stripes on ALL the pants!

bmGhJCx.png

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Duke set!

I would add a carolina blue stripe for the white and navy uniform elements with the argyle, and a white stripe for the carolina blue elements tho, just to make it more in line with the basketball counterparts.

And the VT is PERFECT! Ive been wanting to see this fix since the inception of the current style. I would like to see an orange helmet and orange pants as well.

Boston College:

I Like the wings on the helmets. Not a fan of the gold jersey unless it's paired with the white pants.

Clemson:

Basically the same issue as BC has with the third, as the wrong pair of pants are paired with the jersey. Unless it's something Clemson has always done, I'd switch the purple pants with orange pants.

Florida State:

Love it all. The all-black set is nice. My only critique is that you posted "The home numbers have changed from gold to white". Should be the other way around ;)

Louisville:

White socks for the black set and this whole package is golden.

NC State:

I feel as if the mascot could work on the helmets here. This is mainly because I son't like the SNC logo.

Syracuse:

Orange pants for the navy sets would make the package better.

Wake Forest:

Gold Helmet instead of white would work better for these sets. I do like the blackout (I'm a sucker for almost all of them)

Duke:

I feel like the football clutters what is otherwise a beautiful helmet. I'd go with a blue logo with a white outline on the blackout helmet.

Georgia Tech:

I didn't like the honeycomb pattern, but that was because of the way they used it. Your package is nice, but I think a honeycomb pattern should be implemented in some way, shape, or form, maybe as a faint pattern on the numbers...

Miami:

My problem is that I really like the new set they unveiled. Believe me, I like your package... it's just that it's hard to convince me that any other set is better than what they have now (Major Unpopular opinion).

North Carolina:

Where can I buy that navy helmet? Seriously, that logo, while a bit odd, is fantastic on a helmet.

Pitt:

Not much I can comment on. It's all pretty good. However, I would've went with navy socks for both the home and the away sets. A throwback would've made a nice third as well.

Virginia:

My only problem is the orange V on the helmet. I would switch that to navy. The sword pants stripe is really good as well.

Virginia Tech:

No complaints. Absolutely beautiful.

--------------------------------------------------

Overall, this has been a very nice series. Can't wait to see what's next and I'll try to comment on all of them :)

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

To respond to mr.nascar:

Regarding all the issues with color combinations: The combinations shown aren't necessarily the primary ones. I just tried to show all the different options in the best three ways.

Florida State: Fixed the description.

NC State: The mascot logo is fairly dated, so I don't know how good it would look in a prominent place like the helmet.

Duke: Fair enough. I'm a fan of the football, especially since the basketball team has a basketball-in-D logo. And it's a single color outline, so that idea for the black helmet wouldn't work.

Virginia: The orange V is on the basketball uniforms at least, and it follows the main logo with the darker color being used for the stroke and swords.

Really what like you have here MB! Some good mixture of really clean traditional looks and some modern looks that are restrained enough to look nice and not look dorky like most modern uniforms do IMHO. Out of the ACC, I like Syracuse (nice combination of modern/traditional) and VaTech the best (what they should be wearing right now full-time). Now I don't hate any of em, in fact any of these sets would look nice on the field, but there are several pieces that I'm not a total fan of. The biggest one is the enlarged sword on the Cavs pants, its mostly a personal preference against enlarged logos for pant stripes, but I think the same look could be achieved with a more conventional stripe opposed to just enlarging the logo.

Look forward to what else you have for us in the next few weeks!

Thanks for the feedback C2. Much appreciated.

Regarding Virginia, I can see what you're saying. But I just couldn't resist the swords on the pants...it's like they have dual holsters!

NOW...can I get some more feedback here before the B1G goes up tomorrow?

Archived