Grand Rapids Griffins Entry--C&C Urgently Needed!

Whittier S

So, three years ago, I found out about the Grand Rapids Griffins alternate-jersey contest just before the deadline, enough time for me to draw a logo on paper but not enough to craft a full concept in a computer-graphics program. Then they haven't had the contest for *three years*, and all the while I've been chomping at the bit to enter my concept. Finally, I get my chance--but right in the middle of my moving from Minnesota to Alaska, followed by a week of intense graduate-school teacher training. Finally I get my entry together, with barely enough time to get any C&C in in time to enter.

So, here's my entry:
WhittierStrong-GRGContest2014-2015_zps21

The logo is done. What I need help with mainly is the striping. I wanted to go traditional because of the Art Deco look of the logo, and I wanted to play off the Detroit RedWings' look without duplicating it. But have I gone too simple?

Also, are the fonts working for the numbers and name on the jersey?

Speedy replies much appreciated--the deadline is 8pm Alaska Time tomorrow!

Thanks

rATMcmK.png

In my mind, there's no such thing as "too simple"...my family's going to see your Griffins play my Admirals on November 7 for my brother's 16th birthday, and it would be an honor to see them rocking your uniform sets!

bYhYmxh.png

I really like the logo, very clever. However, it feels somewhat empty. Its not the single colours, that makes it good. I think the letters need to be thicker so it gives more of an illusion to it being a full body of the Griffin. It definitely has that Retro-redesigned look to it, and I like it.

Given how the serifs/feathers come together, if I make the letters any thicker, everything's going to run together. Do you think putting an interior outline, in the bowls of the letters, with a single outline surrounding it, would tie it together better and give it more body?

rATMcmK.png

Try an outline, it may help.

Also try expanding the Serif that starts the wing? I dont know. It's really good but something is missing and I cant figure it out yet.

Maybe the letters should be the same colour as the jersey with the white outline.

If all of that fails, the one you started off is perfectly fine, just size it down a tad.

I shrank the crest a little as suggested. As far as whether the griffin is "full" enough, I think that because of the way the brain relates contrast and negative space, the white-on-red looks fuller than the red-on-white, so I think it's okay. I also decided to push the Art Deco a little further.

WhittierStrong-GRGContest2014-2015B_zpsa

rATMcmK.png

Ok, thats really cool now, you might need to have the numbers larger for "legal" purposes but every looks great. I think all that logo needed was the shrinkage because it looks amazing now.

Archived