Cincinnati Swarm Fantasy Concept

The Nati MacDaddy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "letter S" is the fligt of the Bumble Bees, pardon the pun. There is no honey. Do you think Blending the flight path in a subtle approach would help? tThe flight paths could also be blurred. Just a thought. I thought it was coming together. Apparently not. When it sets on the yellow helmet it looks better. What else can I do to get it to work? I will do whatever it takes. I'm gonna get this right.

SwarmMetalFlakefaceleft_zpscf1211fc.png

Yea I'll echo what people are saying. When I said to look at the Hornets wordmark I really wanted you to see just a normal font being used. It wasn't some out of the box crazy style it was just a sharp modern font with a slight edit to the end letters. The biggest step forward you can make is eliminating the 'swarm' flight pattern and choosing a regular modern font for the wordmark and then tweaking the placement of it.

Ok, here's the problem I have with the new look: you're trying for too much. The hexagon C is a great secondary icon on its own. I get what you're trying to do with the swarm, but right now, it looks more like a murky stream going down a set of falls. The icon, as it is here, doesn't read as a CS.

My advice is: keep what you have, but put it aside. I feel like you're getting stuck in a rut of ideas. Turn the page and try something different. If you're really strapped for ideas, I'd use a few bees (3-5, I'd say) and give them some detail/solid styling. You can get the "swarm" point across with a little placement help. Grouping a set of together would pull off the swarm aspect.

Thanks derschwigg for your advice. I have been known to be a bit strong willed or maybe just passionate about my work. It does keep me stuck in a rut and stifles the creativity. I guess its hard to let go of the things that you are passionate about. I will follow your advice and step away from the hexagonal letter "C" as part of the wordmark. I think you get my point about a swarm being more than a single bee/hornet/wasp. I will keep looking at other types of designs for flying insects and see if I can come up with something original. I am hung up on the graphic depiction of the "C and the S" but if it is not reading as "C and S" as you, and others have said then I need to try a different approach. I have to keep telling myself that change is not a bad thing. I do like some of the change that I have seen the wordmark go through and have another idea that I will submit soon. Thanks for your attention to my work. I know you and many others are pulling for me to do a great job. Your patience and attention to detail are appreciated. I'm still having a blast just learning how to become a graphic designer. I don't give up easily. So keep following this thread and hopefully I will get it right eventually. TY Bunches.

I think you've got the right attitude about receiving criticism - you're not taking it personally.

This idea you have isn't bad, it's just not coming across very well. I've found that, when that happens, it's good to explore other options. Sometimes you wind up melding a handful of ideas into a fantastic concept!

Here is my latest attempt to follow the advice of others who have replied to this thread. I was working on this while listening to one of my favorite songs by Bob Seger, "Turn the Page" I tried to create a new font with just a hint of the hexagon shape for part of the word mark and used air brush for the second part. I hope this is becoming easier to read.

11a805a6-1da2-47f9-9ff4-b4a51be473ec_zps

Here is a cleaner version of the wordmark and helmet logo. The Bee graphic is not my work but just something I found on a google image search. The only thing I changed was the color. I hope that I am getting closer to the high quality work that I have seen on many of the concept threads. I could use some coaching on how to clean up images to make them sharper other than the tool that I use on Adobe photoshop7 called sharpen.

Swarmhelmetlogoredesign4_zpsfaadcabb.pngSwarmwordmarkredesign9_zps9abf39d3.png

First of all, Welcome. Your logo is progressing but at the moment it's still more t-shirt design than logo. You need to eliminate the blur, bevel, airbrush effects all together. IMO those are the main things that are keeping your design from moving forward right now. I like the BEE, make that your primary logo & add a clean wordmark to it! Focus your attention on 1 bee + wordmark & do away with all the other unnecessary elements. Reference a lot of logos to give yourself a better understanding of sports logos in general. That's a bit of my 2 cents, will be standing by to see how this comes along, good luck!

Thanks for the welcome and your 2 cents worth ren69. I will hopefully get my idea for the swarm logo and wordmark to a higher level with your, and other followers of this thread, input. I am still stuck in the rut of wanting a blurred letter "S" it is hard for me to let go of this idea because I really like it and I guess I am trying to will it to work. Any thoughts on how to make the letter "S" keep the look of a swarm and also keep it crispness would be appreciated. I will try the Primary logo without the bevel and resubmit it to get your feedback. I am enjoying this process of getting ideas out and hearing from veterans like yourself on ways of improving the design. It has come a long way and probably will go much further but in the end it will be worth it. I am very new to this and have many other ideas for you to critique so keep being open and honest with me. I can take it because it is not something that I take personally.

The swarm idea is going to be too complicated to pull off. Personally if I were doing this, I would scrap that idea. Any "group" formation is going to be muddy looking, or overly complicated. I think the same message can be conveyed by limiting it to three simple, but defined shapes.

For example: You could have a singular forward facing bee that is the focal point of the logo. Flanking that bee on the left and right could be smaller bees in silhouette. The honeycomb shape could be the container that makes them a cohesive "swarm."

Then have the wordmark underneath.

Also. ditch that soft beveling. It is a quick way to make your work look dated and amateurish. Simplify your idea. Keep it basic until you have really nailed the look.

Archived