Tampa Bay Buccaneers Logo

BucsBoy02

Hey everyone. While I don't hate the new Buccaneers logo, there are a couple of little things that erk me about it. It has no character and looks way to clean IMO. When I think Buccaneer or Pirate I think rough, battle worn, and with Jolly Rogers a sense of a something handmade with treasure map-esq imagery. I think the their first flag logo hit the nail on the head with that. So I decided to try my hand at modifying their current logo using things I admired about the old logo. I have included their new and old logos for reference.

Buccaneersconceptoldandnew_zps0b31b38c.p

wow. huge upgrade from both logos, and one of the few that thinks the current bucs logo is miles ahead of the one it replaced.

you managed to improve on the improvement.

great job, man.

Alright, after doing a little tinkering here is a little update. I touched up the sword on the left side. I don't have a vector version of the ship yet so the red is a little off. (If anyone has one they would be willing to share please let me know.) I'm still debating on if or how to tatter up the sails. Also I have included a version without the brow line. I'm not sure if I like it or not. Without it the skulls forehead looks a bit to big but it might just be because I've been staring at it too much. lol Anyways let me know what you guys think. Thanks

BuccaneersFlagandShip_zps9a1ab72e.png

BuccaneersFlagnobrow_zps19c7d948.png

EDIT - I just now noticed that whoever designed the ship logo flubbed it up. The bottom rear sail should be in front of the rear mast and not behind it.

Great job taking the best from both logos and creating an even better logo.

My only complaint is how jagged the black strokes are on the Jolly Roger. All the rest of the linework in the logo is smooth, with the cutouts giving it the tattered look. Smooth out those lines and this logo is perfect.

Here's another update. In this update I rounded off the jagged edges of the skull and swords outline as suggested. I think it looks good, its smooth but still had a subtle roughness to it, helping it blend in a little more with the smooth curves of the flag. As for the ship, I fixed the error with the rear sail and mast and played around with the placement of the logo on the front sail a bit. I think this is going to be pretty much it, there isn't much else I think to improve upon. Although if you guys have anymore suggestions I am always more than willing to listen and try things out. Thanks for all of the kind words and C&C!

BuccaneersflagandshipV2_zps85dfc8ee.png

When they first released the new logo, my first thought was that it was way too clean. It was missing the rough look to the skull and the worn/torn roughness on the flag. Your logo is exactly what I expected to see when this was revealed to the public. You definitely hit the nail on the head with this one. I absolutely love it.

I would suggest making the ship a little more rugged as well right now it is just to clean for more liking way too much red.

I would also reduce the size of the white in his nose but that is just being nit picky.

This is by far a lot better than what they have now & really updates some things from the old logo

Here's another update. In this update I rounded off the jagged edges of the skull and swords outline as suggested. I think it looks good, its smooth but still had a subtle roughness to it, helping it blend in a little more with the smooth curves of the flag. As for the ship, I fixed the error with the rear sail and mast and played around with the placement of the logo on the front sail a bit. I think this is going to be pretty much it, there isn't much else I think to improve upon. Although if you guys have anymore suggestions I am always more than willing to listen and try things out. Thanks for all of the kind words and C&C!

BuccaneersflagandshipV2_zps85dfc8ee.png

Awesome I like the new logo but i think i like this one even more. As for the ship i think adding any lines into the sail will only make it harder to read when it's shrunk down.

Well so far I haven't changed anything. I've pretty much just been trying out a few things that you guys have suggested. So far my attempts at tattering up the sails has not worked really well, it looks okay but it makes it seem as if there is way to much going on. Still tinkering with that idea though. I like the idea of more orange. I have however already tried orange hilts (and just about every other color, it looks alright with silver but IMO best in white). I don't really think it works all that well, it makes the bottom of the logo to orange heavy. Now making the hull highlights orange I like, problem is right now I don't have a vector version of the ship. I may trace it, but that will take me a while. I also think it would make the bottom of the logo to orange heavy, but I would still like to just test it out. Anyways, throughout this process I've been dabbling with the idea of a possible 3rd logo. It's a cannonball logo that I could see being used on the pants. Again, thanks for the C&C, ideas, and kind words.

FIRE THE CANNONS!!!!!!

Buccaneerscannonball_zps82069e2c.png

I'd switch the color from red to pewter. Right now, it looks like a dodgeball right now

Now that you've said it, that's exactly what it looks like. lol! I think if it was pewter it would blend in to much with the background. I'm going to try out maybe a lighter silver, but then it ruins the whole red on black on silver theme. Back to the drawing board!

I think making a few cuts in the ships sail would help & not make it busy also any more orange will throw off the balance for the logo for sure.

Even if you leave it the same this is worlds better than what we got unfortunately because we are stuck looking a that big logo every time they play.

The good news unless they start winning at a high level I wont have to watch it just like the Jags I did not have to watch that mess any last year either.

Archived