Funkatron101's NBA (Grizzlies logo revision, Page 4)

Funkatron101

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkpiranha

I love the anchor for the Clips. The ship works better as a secondary for me. I love the simplicity and iconicity (iconicness? iconism?) of the anchor. The Clippers have never had a good icon. Although I supposed it could be argued that Donald Sterling was an anchor preventing them from going anywhere...

One of the main reasons why I prefer the ship, as opposed to the anchor in the crest, is the color composition and weight. With the anchor, the red is primarily as the base of the crest. I never liked having "CLIPPERS" in white, but there is really no other choice with that anchor. It's just not a good balance to me.

What made me initially choose the anchor over attempting the ship is the simplicity. I do miss that, but I really really like the balance of the ship logo. It also allowed my to do my secondary logo, which I love, without seeming redundant.

Clippers-jersey_zps0a5c97b1.jpg

One of the main reasons why I prefer the ship, as opposed to the anchor in the crest, is the color composition and weight. With the anchor, the red is primarily as the base of the crest. I never liked having "CLIPPERS" in white, but there is really no other choice with that anchor. It's just not a good balance to me.

What made me initially choose the anchor over attempting the ship is the simplicity. I do miss that, but I really really like the balance of the ship logo. It also allowed my to do my secondary logo, which I love, without seeming redundant.

Clippers-jersey_zps0a5c97b1.jpg

I've never really liked powder blue combined with red, but in your case I'd say these uniforms would definitely look great in reality.

Really like the wheel logo! Same goes for the interlocked initials logo and the primary – although I still prefer the anchor log due to its simplicity. Nevertheless I understand your point regarding the color issues.

Another fine, fine concept! Kudos!

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

I'm really liking the ship over the anchor. Looks more like a basketball logo now, than a soccer crest. Maybe make the back two sails triangular as well, as a nod back to the San Diego Clippers logo.

Well, in researching Baltimore clipper ships, the San Diego logo represented the first three sails only. I think it was a bit more clever than many of us give it credit for.

51d26a29-5044-4f93-9a07-c5cfab406bb5.jpg

There are a lot of different versions with different sail configurations. I still don't think I have it right. I want to create something that is simple, but dynamic. I'm afraid if I try to go more for accuracy, it will either look super busy, or randomly haphazard shapes.

The Clippers concept is gorgeous! Has to be one of my favorites ever. Love the TWolves re-color as well. I'm not really feeling the Pacers logo, but i can't really say why. The Rockets logo looks more like an alternate to me. I picture every logo without the wordmark, and all of the NBA stands out on its own, but the Rockets logo just feels like a secondary IMO.

Memphis Grizzlies: What Can Brown Do For You?

A little busy this past week. This is more of a revision, than a redo. I like many of the elements of the Grizzlies brand, but I felt some tweaks were in order. First of all, this is a perfect excuse to get rid of another blue-centric color scheme. Brown, tan and gold is a completely unique look in the NBA.

Secondly, I reshaped the logo to make it less cutesy, heart-shaped carebear like. A subtle change to make it a little more "mature." Finally I gave it pupils to give it a little more menacing stare.

Uniforms to follow.
(Comparison to show the subtle changes)
Grizzlies_zps39d672a9.jpg793.gif

Lakers....with a lake!

lakers-2_zps6e0927ca.jpg

(Edit: thickened the ball lines a bit and changed "Los Angeles" to purple)

Your work here is good; however the Lakers are in Los Angeles where there aren't nearly as many lakes as there are in Minnesota. So, this is one of those situations where we probably shouldn't get too literal with a logo. Call them the "Lakers" but give them an "L.A." logo.

Lakers....with a lake!

lakers-2_zps6e0927ca.jpg

(Edit: thickened the ball lines a bit and changed "Los Angeles" to purple)

Your work here is good; however the Lakers are in Los Angeles where there aren't nearly as many lakes as there are in Minnesota. So, this is one of those situations where we probably shouldn't get too literal with a logo. Call them the "Lakers" but give them an "L.A." logo.

There are more lakes in LA than there are raptors in Toronto, or grizzly bears in Memphis. I also speculate that there aren't many actual wizards in Washington. :P

Adding two lines and two birds isn't all THAT literal. lol.

Plus you can always say it's the ocean :rolleyes:

I like the brown and gold color scheme for the Grizzlies. Very ironic that you used the motto(?) and colors of UPS when Memphis is the headquarters of FedEx.

I like your idea for the wordmark. Assuming those are supposed to be claw marks, but right now it looks more like broken glass than claw marks. That's the only problem I see.

Can't wait to see some more. Keep it up!

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

I like the brown and gold color scheme for the Grizzlies. Very ironic that you used the motto(?) and colors of UPS when Memphis is the headquarters of FedEx.

I like your idea for the wordmark. Assuming those are supposed to be claw marks, but right now it looks more like broken glass than claw marks. That's the only problem I see.

...and the fact that they play in the FedEx Forum. lol. Ain't I a stinker?

I was trying to go for a tattered/torn wordmark that was still pretty legible without seeming too gimicky. Their current wordmark to me is the one element in their branding that doesn't seem to fit the rest.

...and the fact that they play in the FedEx Forum. lol. Ain't I a stinker?

I was trying to go for a tattered/torn wordmark that was still pretty legible without seeming too gimicky. Their current wordmark to me is the one element in their branding that doesn't seem to fit the rest.

I agree about the wordmark, I see random slashes on a perfectly smooth wordmark, I feel the wordmark needs to be either one or the other not both, that being completely smooth and clean or tore up and jagged

A little busy this past week. This is more of a revision, than a redo. I like many of the elements of the Grizzlies brand, but I felt some tweaks were in order. First of all, this is a perfect excuse to get rid of another blue-centric color scheme. Brown, tan and gold is a completely unique look in the NBA.

Secondly, I reshaped the logo to make it less cutesy, heart-shaped carebear like. A subtle change to make it a little more "mature." Finally I gave it pupils to give it a little more menacing stare.

Uniforms to follow.

The colour scheme and the improvements to the logo are awesome. This has been one of the best threads that I've seen on this site.

Great job, keep it up.

Uniforms to follow.

Call me crazy but I like the dead eyes of the real one better. Seems more menacing.

Archived