Calgary Flames logo redesign

Quackcom

Hey Folks,

Here is a logo redesign concept I did for the Calgary Flames. I always liked the idea of the flaming C but I wanted to give it more meaning, hence the branding iron.

This picks up on the Flames as well as the pronounced western horse culture of the area. I also made the C into a horseshoe shape, I'm undecided if this is confusing, too much or if it works??

Any C & C is much appreciated.

Calgary_Flames-R1.jpg

I also agree with the sentiment that blue needs to go. Just cause the team opted for a ridiculous alberta flag instead of a real secondary logo, doesn't mean blue should be anywhere near a Flames jersey, let alone logo. That being said, the branding iron itself and the surrounding flames are fantastically rendered. This is a few tweaks away from being a great secondary logo.

This is, without a doubt, the most positive reaction to someone daring to change the Calgary Flames logo that I've seen on this board. Kudos for that.

Your idea is so genius that I'm shocked it's never been thought of before. I never would have thought of a branding iron, and that reflects Alberta pretty darn well.

The blue needs to go, it's a cool color, doesn't fit the Flames idea at all.

Full-on detailed branding iron might be too much for the 21st century. Someone already said it's a bit cruel, I'm sure there'd be issues with it. But what if you simplified it? Went a little more abstract, and by that I mean simpler?

And if you follow the other suggestions and abandon the branding iron, you might as well make it a newly-forged horseshoe, that way there's a reason for the flames.

Great idea, good concept, I hope this continues.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

My wife thought the idea was too cruel as well but I figured if hockey was ready for the Devil, a branding iron isn't that bad, is it? Call me crazy but I'd take a hot iron on the butt over an eternity in hell. ;–) But yes it is a very cruel act against innocent animals that was done for business compared to a possibly fictional character, so the branding iron is out.

I'll work up a new version with just the forged horseshoe sans the blue.

Thanks for all the great feedback, very helpful.

I guess the San Antonio Spurs should change their name/logo as well :D.

I do see the possible concern though quacker...so why go there if you don't have to.

However, untvar's right...the "flaming horseshoe" is a fantastic concept.

It really suits the theme of the team,

and "hot-shoeing" is a common practice in shodding horses.

(I know...I shod horses for about 3 years.)

It's a really clever idea, and I love how it ties into the city's cattle/cowboy history. I definitely echo the sentiments about the blue. Just a couple other things that are throwing me off about it.

First I like how you have the white coming off into the flame on the top, but you don't do it to the bottom of the C/Horseshoe. The way the flames are coming right off the white stroke on the bottom is throwing my perspective off a bit. I would like to see how it looks with some of the white going into the flame on the bottom too.

Also, I'm not really liking the wedge shape. I was immediately reminded of Trivial Pursuit, then after that the Charlotte Checkers. Maybe once you take the stick off the "brand" and make it just a horseshoe try putting it in a circle, or just a stand alone flaming C. I would also imagine that you would lose the natural wedge shape when you lose the stick/handle as well.

Excited to see your next update.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Here is my second kick at the can incorporating the feedback, see what you think.

I just read kewp80's comments and may rework the shape on another pass—Trivial Pursuit, that's hilarious—I was thinking more superman.

Thanks everyone for all the input, it's a great help.

Calgary_Flames-R2.jpg

I Would just make the logo the flaming horseshoe without anything else (including the arced triangle). It makes it feel like a shoulder logo. I would also tone down the brightness of the colors.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Archived