Possible NHL Expansion: Logo and Name Ideas

Oso

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bill Foley, who's one of the lead investors trying to get a Vegas expansion team, made some waves when he went on record last month and said he prefers the team be called Nevada rather than Las Vegas; stating it was "more inclusive." He backpedalled very quickly when the local fans called in to the sports talk radio shows and crapped all over the concept of the team being called Nevada over Las Vegas. Also Foley reportedly really likes the names Black Knights and Scorpions. While he said he'd do a name the team contest, don't be surprised if these two names are heavily and influentially pushed to the forefront.

Texas.gif

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/nhl-to-las-vegas-looking-more-like-a-done-deal/article23471555/

possible: Las Vegas Black Aces

"Foley had initially suggested his team name would include “Nevada,” but after some backlash in the city, he has stated it will be named Las Vegas.

One popular suggestion out there is they will be called the Black Aces."

Seattle Thunderbirds

Quebec Nordiques

Toronto Maple Trees

Las Vegas This Is a TERRIBLE Idea And We'll Be Outta Here In Five Years Tops Anyway GIVE US YOUR MONEY!!!

I was just about to post a similar joke about Vegas.

Bravo, sir!

Why the emphasis on black? Black Knights, Black Aces...why not just Aces?

It's because William Foley, the potential owner, went to West Point. I would say that the only reason why it might not be Black Knights would be if Army made a stink about it, which could be possible. I wouldn't name it Black Aces though, since that is the name reserved for scratched players in practice.

As far as it being a bad idea, maybe it is, maybe it's not. Did anyone really think San Jose or Dallas (I know they are struggling now) would have been good NHL cities? Lot of people seem to think Seattle would be a good idea, but do we know for sure? I have no problems with the NHL going into non-traditional markets like Las Vegas or Carolina. I have a problem with the league keeping those teams in those cities for as long as they have, like in Arizona, while bleeding money yearly. They should have pulled the plug on the Coyotes a couple of years ago.

Oh, I think Denver Avalanche sounds much better. But yes, the Florida Panthers are named after an animal. That being said, it's important to remember that inaugural owner Wayne Huizenga is one of those Broward County weirdos who has to disavow any relation to Miami because it's scary and druggy and ethnic, so it's not coincidental that Miami's NHL team was given a name that didn't have Miami in it. Same deal with the Marlins, which he also first owned. Then he ended up moving the Panthers to Broward County anyway, of course.

Both the nomenclature and the move ended up being bad moves, I feel, now that Miami is one of the most glamorous cities in the world. The Panthers aren't part of that. They play at an outlet mall in the seemingly endless suburbia of South Florida that indeed ends only when it abuts a giant swamp. They're the team of cookie-cutter gated communities, imaginary downtowns created by mall developers, beautiful weather spoiled by ceaseless whining that this still isn't New York, and ten-lane highways where no one uses turn signals. That's what South Florida But Not Miami is. I'd rather associate with the cocaine!

Did anybody take a minute to read this?? Sh**ts poetic, bravo

This is very simple.

Coyotes to Quebec.

Tampa to Kansas City. (The only reason why Tampa sells out is because ownership gives away free tickets)

Florida to a Midwest state.

Expansion in Seattle

Expansion in Markham.

Not going to dispute about whether Tampa is good or bad for the league, but how would moving to Kansas City be any better?

I was disappointed to find no Saskatchewan/Saskatoon proposals

Who wouldn't like the Saskatchewan Combines or Saskatoon Prairie Dogs

Saskatchewan Threshers?

Heck, it could work.

That's brilliant, good thing Atlanta isn't around anymore that'd be confusing.
rE1QSy4.jpg2h9qSyT.jpg

I was disappointed to find no Saskatchewan/Saskatoon proposals

Who wouldn't like the Saskatchewan Combines or Saskatoon Prairie Dogs

Saskatchewan Threshers?

Heck, it could work.

That's brilliant, good thing Atlanta isn't around anymore that'd be confusing.
Threshers as opposed to Thrashers?

A lot of you here on the boards, in this thread and the AHL relocation thread, really overestimate professional hockey working in Saskatchewan.

After going to school in Saskatoon since September, Saskatchewan isn't a hockey province and Saskatoon (also Regina for AHL) isn't ready or built for a big time team that doesn't ride the bus everywhere.

IEI5Tg1.png

This is very simple.

Coyotes to Quebec.

Tampa to Kansas City. (The only reason why Tampa sells out is because ownership gives away free tickets)

Expansion in Seattle

Expansion in Markham.

I've already highlighted my dream expansion plan for the NHL, but I think it could stand to be in a thread specific to the subject.

You have:

Florida relocating to Quebec

Phoenix relocating to Milwaukee

Expansion in Portland

Expansion in Seattle.

It works out to 16/16 conferences with no trouble, and Portland and Seattle could start a rivalry from scratch instead of one inheriting an NHL roster. Plus, it fills up pretty much every large 'traditional' hockey market you have left.

Then you'd still have money-pit teams like Carolina and Tampa [as you suggested], which could then go to other popular relocation destinations such as Markham/Hamilton or Hartford if needed. I just didn't include them since another team in Toronto has always been met with harsh opposition and no one knows if a team in Connecticut could stake a hold in New England.

This is very simple.

Coyotes to Quebec.

Expansion in Seattle

Expansion in Markham.

Not going to dispute about whether Tampa is good or bad for the league, but how would moving to Kansas City be any better?

From what I have heard, Kansas City has more of the calling for an NHL franchise over Tampa. I don't think people in Tampa care that much anymore about the team.

Archived