Hand-Drawn Basketball Drawings - Jacksonville Stampede (21/32)

TheGiantsFan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I decided to enter the realm of basketball drawings with a fictional league set in my fictional country of Los Altos, just like my baseball thread.

To begin, I have a league map with all the teams (although most are still unnamed) as well as the conferences and the division.
15374922717_3626c07db6_c.jpg

The Los Altos Basketball League (which I will call the LABL from now on) is set up in a way that combines the conference system of the NBA and the 8 division system of the NFL. As a result of there being 8 divisions, there will be 32 teams in the entire league, with 16 each conference and 4 for each division.

I'll attempt to figure out a postseason seeding system as time goes on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for my first team, the Los Altos Gatekeepers! The name, mostly nicknamed as the just the "Keepers" comes from the city of Los Altos's historical role as the "gateway" to the Spanish empire in the Alton interior during the 1600s and the 1700s.

Uniforms
15175022115_b9fa4940c8_c.jpg

The Keepers have a traditional green/dark gold color scheme. Their logos evoke that of a castle gate and the whole castle gate motif is also seen in the "K" in the "Keepers" wordmark and the "L" in the "Los Altos" wordmark.

Court
14988275419_ce17f0f8e4_c.jpg

The court, let's say, is inspired rather heavily from the Lakers, especially the court colors. It's a rather simple court, so I guess the only other highlight of this court is the use of the secondary logo at center court. And for the Twitter handles, I will go and choose ones that aren't in major use in real life; (@keepers) is a locked account with only so few tweets.

Well, that's it for my introductory post in my new basketball thread. Trust me, I still haven't forgotten about my baseball series and will continue to make stadium drawings for baseball. But for this thread's sake, I'd be more than happy to receive feedback, as I'm fairly new to basketball, and I'd love to take suggestions for team names as time goes on.

I'd also like to point out that SFGiants58's amazing NBA: Project 32 thread is a big inspiration to my basketball concepts.

~ Daryl

Well, I love anything TheGiantsFan makes, and this is no exception! Like I said earlier, I can help with team names and colors. And I know you just started this series, but I'm looking forward to a possible hockey series in the future :P

That's what- She

I love the Keepers. The jerseys are sick.

Thank you!

Solid work, but the name implies something else for me. To me it conveys a athlete, or team, that will never been top-tier or elite. Hard to root for that, lol.

Los Altos Gatekeepers: We are just ok!

Hmm, that certainly is odd. I chose the Keepers name mostly because of its (fictional) historical significance. But I'll entitle you to your own opinion, so...

Well, I love anything TheGiantsFan makes, and this is no exception! Like I said earlier, I can help with team names and colors. And I know you just started this series, but I'm looking forward to a possible hockey series in the future :P

Thank you very much! I'd certainly love a few suggestions from you! As for a hockey series, that doesn't seem to be in the foreseeable future for me. In my opinion, I'd need a passionate interest in hockey, which for basketball, is barely blooming up.

Are you going to continue with the baseball drawings thread? I personally really enjoy that thread and honestly like baseball a little more than basketball.

EDIT: never mind that, forgot to read some of it.

Yeah, my baseball thread is still continuing. I'm drawing up another stadium right now, but I just haven't had much time for it lately.

Always love seeing hand drawn concepts on here and this is a promising start. The logos for the gatekeepers look great as do the colours. Have you ever considered using felt pens?

Thank you! I've seen a few of your hand-drawn hockey drawings and they're pretty good as well! I really haven't considered using felt pens as I'm pretty comfortable with colored pencils, which are in great abundance to me.

Man this is great, can't wait for this to expand as the days wear on.

BTW are you possibly giving away naming rights to a lucky user?

Thank you very much! And yes, I'd be very happy to give you some naming rights!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of which, would anyone like to suggest some names? I decided that I'll need some names for the Claraville team and the rest of the Midcoast Division. For some context:

- Alcea City (originally called New London during the 1700s) is famous for being the home town of the first Alton president, Bernard Alcea.

- Claraville is known for its maritime culture as well as its fog. There is a baseball team there called the Whalers.

- Lapelle is a medium-sized town located not too far north of Los Altos. During Spanish rule, Lapelle (then called Los Pelos) was an important trading post. Pelicans are also fairly common in the area.

- Rattick City is famous for being a notable city during the Alton Civil War, where the first acts of rebellion against royal rule occurred. Baseball team is called the Rebels.

If any more context is needed, feel free to ask! These are the teams I'll have you guys suggest names for for now. As for the next team, I'll probably get started on the Newton Pridesmen.

~ Daryl

Love the creativity in the concept. It is getting indepth. I think giving team names that retain the element of the spanish language like the Santiago Bay Diablos and the Windport City Estrellas keep the Los Altos League authentic. I have 3 new names but am not sure of the city background/history, maybe you can see a better fit for a different city.

Hastings LOBOS- Think NCAA teams from NC State for concept logos/color scheme

Birmingham TOROS-Think USFL Jacksonville Bulls

Valley Hills TORNADOS- Think IHL hockey Cincinnati Cyclones old primary logo

The spanish word for gate keepers (Guardianes de la Puerta) is a bit lengthy and I agree with your take on shortening it to Keepers (Guardianes) you can experiment with Lettering /Fonts that use G instead of K. Maybe SF Giants letter G would work here. Other names that have been suggested could also be translated into Spanish ie. El Presidentes, Conquistadores, Niebla, Maremoto, Pelicanos etc.. I like Armada team name

Strictly my thoughts and opinions.

I love the Keepers. The jerseys are sick.

Thank you!

Solid work, but the name implies something else for me. To me it conveys a athlete, or team, that will never been top-tier or elite. Hard to root for that, lol.

Los Altos Gatekeepers: We are just ok!

Hmm, that certainly is odd. I chose the Keepers name mostly because of its (fictional) historical significance. But I'll entitle you to your own opinion, so...

Thank you very much! I'd certainly love a few suggestions from you! As for a hockey series, that doesn't seem to be in the foreseeable future for me. In my opinion, I'd need a passionate interest in hockey, which for basketball, is barely blooming up.

Are you going to continue with the baseball drawings thread? I personally really enjoy that thread and honestly like baseball a little more than basketball.

EDIT: never mind that, forgot to read some of it.

Yeah, my baseball thread is still continuing. I'm drawing up another stadium right now, but I just haven't had much time for it lately.

Always love seeing hand drawn concepts on here and this is a promising start. The logos for the gatekeepers look great as do the colours. Have you ever considered using felt pens?

Thank you! I've seen a few of your hand-drawn hockey drawings and they're pretty good as well! I really haven't considered using felt pens as I'm pretty comfortable with colored pencils, which are in great abundance to me.

Man this is great, can't wait for this to expand as the days wear on.

BTW are you possibly giving away naming rights to a lucky user?

Thank you very much! And yes, I'd be very happy to give you some naming rights!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of which, would anyone like to suggest some names? I decided that I'll need some names for the Claraville team and the rest of the Midcoast Division. For some context:

- Alcea City (originally called New London during the 1700s) is famous for being the home town of the first Alton president, Bernard Alcea.

- Claraville is known for its maritime culture as well as its fog. There is a baseball team there called the Whalers.

- Lapelle is a medium-sized town located not too far north of Los Altos. During Spanish rule, Lapelle (then called Los Pelos) was an important trading post. Pelicans are also fairly common in the area.

- Rattick City is famous for being a notable city during the Alton Civil War, where the first acts of rebellion against royal rule occurred. Baseball team is called the Rebels.

If any more context is needed, feel free to ask! These are the teams I'll have you guys suggest names for for now. As for the next team, I'll probably get started on the Newton Pridesmen.

~ Daryl

Here are a few names i came up with:

Alcea City Presidents

Claraville Gulls

Lapelle Desparados

Rattick City Revolution

Wow, I really appreciate the feedback, guys! As I reply to each individual posts, I will bold those names that caught my attention and decided them to be the final team names for those cities.

Alcea City Federals
Claraville Haze/ Fog Fighters
Lapelle Traders/Pelicans
Rattick City Conquest/Revolution

Hmm, Fog Fighters seem to be a bit minor-league baseball-y, but the rest of them are pretty decent! Thanks!

Rattick City Outlaws
Claraville Schooners/ Armada
Alcea City Presidents
LaPelle Comerciantes (Spanish word for traders)

Do you have any other history on Alcea city?

The Schooners is a pretty good idea for Claraville, thank you! As for some Alcea City history, I don't really have too much more other than that Alcea City (then called New London) was one of the most rural major cities during the time of the Alton Republic.

Rattick City Radicals (or Rattick Radicals)

I love this name! Not just for its alliteration, but also for its potential! I can excuse any "radicalness" for this team's identity by it being a 90s expansion team. Haha. But it also ties in pretty well with the city's history of rebellion. Thank you!

Claraville Tidal Wave
LaPelle Armada
Alcea City Politicians
Rattick City Barbarians

Pretty good suggestions here; my favorite being the Armada. I'll take a bit more time into thinking about the Lapelle team name, but I'll definitely keep the Armada in mind!

Love the creativity in the concept. It is getting indepth. I think giving team names that retain the element of the spanish language like the Santiago Bay Diablos and the Windport City Estrellas keep the Los Altos League authentic. I have 3 new names but am not sure of the city background/history, maybe you can see a better fit for a different city.

The spanish word for gate keepers (Guardianes de la Puerta) is a bit lengthy and I agree with your take on shortening it to Keepers (Guardianes) you can experiment with Lettering /Fonts that use G instead of K. Maybe SF Giants letter G would work here. Other names that have been suggested could also be translated into Spanish ie. El Presidentes, Conquistadores, Niebla, Maremoto, Pelicanos etc.. I like Armada team name

The Spanish influence in Los Altos mostly remains in northern, mostly in the northwest, parts of the country. The more southeasterly parts of the country, as well as the area around Bayshore (where Claraville and Henderson are located) and northern Alcea state, have much more British influences, mostly in the state of York (where Birmingham is located).

However, I very well appreciate your insight into my country's Spanish influences in the naming of the teams. Thank you!

Alcea City Presidents

Claraville Gulls

Lapelle Desparados

Rattick City Revolution

Strangely enough, the Seagulls were my original team name for the Claraville baseball team, which I ended up naming the Whalers. However, I could work the Seagulls into some eastern coastal team in the future. Thanks for the suggestions!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

From everyone's feedback, I've set in stone a few teams and are still considering between a few more. I will for sure have the Claraville Schooners and the Rattick Radicals. As for the other two cities, I'm deciding between Desperados and Armada for Lapelle while I'm still open to name suggestions for Alcea City (I don't want too many political names as Alcea City isn't actually the national capital).

So that's that.

And oh, I think I could appreciate a few color scheme suggestions for not just the Schooners and the Radicals, but also a few of the other teams I already have names for (which can be seen in the map in the OP).

Thanks for the feedback and I can't wait to see more suggestions!

~ Daryl

Wow, I really appreciate the feedback, guys! As I reply to each individual posts, I will bold those names that caught my attention and decided them to be the final team names for those cities.

Alcea City Federals

Lapelle Traders/Pelicans

Hmm, Fog Fighters seem to be a bit minor-league baseball-y, but the rest of them are pretty decent! Thanks!

Rattick City Outlaws

Alcea City Presidents

The Schooners is a pretty good idea for Claraville, thank you! As for some Alcea City history, I don't really have too much more other than that Alcea City (then called New London) was one of the most rural major cities during the time of the Alton Republic.

I love this name! Not just for its alliteration, but also for its potential! I can excuse any "radicalness" for this team's identity by it being a 90s expansion team. Haha. But it also ties in pretty well with the city's history of rebellion. Thank you!

Claraville Tidal Wave

LaPelle Armada

Alcea City Politicians

Rattick City Barbarians

Pretty good suggestions here; my favorite being the Armada. I'll take a bit more time into thinking about the Lapelle team name, but I'll definitely keep the Armada in mind!

The Spanish influence in Los Altos mostly remains in northern, mostly in the northwest, parts of the country. The more southeasterly parts of the country, as well as the area around Bayshore (where Claraville and Henderson are located) and northern Alcea state, have much more British influences, mostly in the state of York (where Birmingham is located).

However, I very well appreciate your insight into my country's Spanish influences in the naming of the teams. Thank you!

Alcea City Presidents

Claraville Gulls

Lapelle Desparados

Rattick City Revolution

Strangely enough, the Seagulls were my original team name for the Claraville baseball team, which I ended up naming the Whalers. However, I could work the Seagulls into some eastern coastal team in the future. Thanks for the suggestions!

From everyone's feedback, I've set in stone a few teams and are still considering between a few more. I will for sure have the Claraville Schooners and the Rattick Radicals. As for the other two cities, I'm deciding between Desperados and Armada for Lapelle while I'm still open to name suggestions for Alcea City (I don't want too many political names as Alcea City isn't actually the national capital).

So that's that.

And oh, I think I could appreciate a few color scheme suggestions for not just the Schooners and the Radicals, but also a few of the other teams I already have names for (which can be seen in the map in the OP).

~ Daryl

Thank you for taking my name for Claraville into consideration. For the colors maybe go with sky blue and navy blue.

Alcea City Federals

Lapelle Traders/Pelicans

Rattick City Outlaws

Alcea City Presidents

Claraville Tidal Wave

LaPelle Armada

Alcea City Politicians

Rattick City Barbarians

Alcea City Presidents

Claraville Gulls

Lapelle Desparados

Rattick City Revolution

So that's that.

~ Daryl

Thanks for considering Desparados as a team name! Could you possibly give us more info about Alcea City? (this way maybe there wouldn't be as many political related team names)

Thank you for taking my name for Claraville into consideration. For the colors maybe go with sky blue and navy blue.

You're more than welcome, my friend! And I'll try to incorporate those blue colors onto the final identity for the Schooners.

Thanks for considering Desparados as a team name! Could you possibly give us more info about Alcea City? (this way maybe there wouldn't be as many political related team names)

You're welcome as well! Honestly, I can't really think of much context about Alcea City, other than the fact that it's located in some foothills as well as hailing the first Alton president. And I would gladly accept some generic name for an Alcea City team (the baseball team is the Hawks).

Well now, Alcea City was rural AND English, that makes it easier.

Alcea City Pioneers- Still kinda in the middle of nowhere, and early pioneers were English

Alcea City Royals- Imperialistic English name

Alcea City Lions- English national animal

Alcea City Bulldogs- Another English animal

That's what- She

Archived