How Many Teams Can the NFL Realistically Support?

colortv

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

32 is just right and can be achieved by dropping St. Louis and adding Los Angeles. The revenue sharing that will come from an improved footprint should be enough to help out the stragglers like Jacksonville and Tampa Bay or feel-good loss leaders like Buffalo and Oakland.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

All this Moon Football talk makes me want to play NFL Blitz.

Anyway, attendance wise, you could have 36 NFL teams and be ok. Couple of blackouts here and there, but nothing drastic that couldn't be saved with a few good drafts. However, there's only so many Fortune 500 companies around that'll be willing to sign sponsorship deals and buy luxury suites, and if you don't have a few of them in your metro area, there'll be no NFL for you. So, honestly, 34's my number. You can have an NFL team in LA and maybe Toronto, San Antonio, or another city who could get a nice population and economical boom in the next decade or two and work their way into the conversation, and that's it.

The NFL can have as many franchises as the market allows, and right now, it appears that there are more than 32. Los Angeles is open. San Antonio. London. Toronto.

Maybe, but they may want to think about how sustainable that is, particularly if London is a necessity to expand to whatever even number of teams they want. I don't know that a 36-team league would thin out the talent too much next season, but what about 10 years from now when a significant portion of the predominant age group was not allowed to play football because parents watched League of Denial. Honestly, I think the NFL's focus should be on sustaining itself and not on continued world take over. All the over-exposure has not yet diminished the popularity but I wonder whether there is a tipping point.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Could you imagine someone like Shaun Hill or Tavaris Jackson being your full time starter? Maybe it's a bit of an exaggeration that I used those 2 names, but I can't think of 4 backups that should be starters for 4 expansion teams. The talent pool is shrinking each year.

32 sounds good for now, but if the league goes to 36, they would have to bring back the pre-2002 divisions with six teams each.

Incidentally, if the NFL was serious about a London franchise, they should have not folded NFL Europe, and instead brought back the Monarchs plus another expansion team to have an even number of teams.

32 is the perfect number. 4 teams in the N, S, E and W for both conferences is a perfect set-up.

However, we need to fix a few of the venues.

Jacksonville and Oakland are the two candidates to move in my opinion. LA is the ideal destination for the Raiders. The Jags could go somewhere like San Antonio, Omaha or Las Vegas. Perhaps even Orlando would be a better host for a team than Jacksonville, but they would probably suffer because of fewer local, loyal fans. Most inhabitants are likely transplants and fans of other teams already.

Could you imagine someone like Shaun Hill or Tavaris Jackson being your full time starter? Maybe it's a bit of an exaggeration that I used those 2 names, but I can't think of 4 backups that should be starters for 4 expansion teams. The talent pool is shrinking each year.

Great point, there are not enough legitimate starting QBs in the league as it is.

87Redskins.png

I've always wondered why pro football teams fail in Alabama. That state is football crazy. Is it just that the Tide is just too popular? Not enough of a traveling fan base? Same could almost be said about Omaha and Nebraska.

What's Alabama's per capita income? What about the corporate base?

I've always wondered why pro football teams fail in Alabama. That state is football crazy. Is it just that the Tide is just too popular? Not enough of a traveling fan base? Same could almost be said about Omaha and Nebraska.

What's Alabama's per capita income? What about the corporate base?

They sure don't have a problem filling up Bryant-Dennehey(sp?) and purchasing all that crimson merchandise. Corporate base however, not sure, probably a different story.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

They're not football crazy. They're Crimson Tide and to a lesser extent Tiger crazy. That's a very important difference.

Plus the biggest city in Alabama- Birmingham - is kind of a dump, isn't that big to begin with, and their football stadium is falling apart.

PvO6ZWJ.png

To be fair. The late UFL's Omaha Nighthawks franchise was easily the most well supported team in the league. If some billionaire wanted to take a chance there it might actually work as a "small market" NFL franchise. If the NFL wanted to take a chance with a new city (relocation, not expansion) I'd personally be okay with Omaha being in consideration.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

To be fair. The late UFL's Omaha Nighthawks franchise was easily the most well supported team in the league. If some billionaire wanted to take a chance there it might actually work as a "small market" NFL franchise. If the NFL wanted to take a chance with a new city (relocation, not expansion) I'd personally be okay with Omaha being in consideration.

Kansas City is already a "small market" NFL franchise, and although they're nearly 200 miles apart and Omaha doesn't appear to be "solidly" Chiefs territory - the closest Omaha is getting to the NFL is yelled from the mouth of Peyton Manning.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

1. Kirk Cousins

2. Blake Bortles

3. Ryan Mallett

4. Michael Vick

Sigs are for sissies.

Archived