How Many Teams Can the NFL Realistically Support?

colortv

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always wondered why pro football teams fail in Alabama. That state is football crazy. Is it just that the Tide is just too popular? Not enough of a traveling fan base? Same could almost be said about Omaha and Nebraska.

Professional sports franchises need not just large population bases but large economic bases with a lot of corporate dollars to buy advertising and suites. Alabama is weak on the former and I believe one of the poorest states in the union.

I just want to know why so many people in Pittsburgh are wearing Alabama colors and how the national championship trophy got there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 2 weeks later...

32 is about as high as it should go. What 32 cities deserve teams is another conversation.

I think what the NFL should really look into isn't how many teams, but how to make each team more competitive. I think the league really should get back into the developmental league business, only stateside this time. Previous posters are right, talent is spread thin and there isn't much better coming from college. Especially at the QB position.

Archived