NFL's Weekly Best and Worst Uniform Matchups

beast3

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bills' socks are still f'ed up. Look closely at that picture - two red/navy/royal/navy/red stripes on a white background, then a block of blue at the top. Take the blue off the top and those are perfect to be worn with the blue pants.

It sucks because they Bills actually fixed their blue socks (to match the jersey sleeves) a few games into 2011, then went back to the original messed up version when Nike came along

I know exactly what you're referring to.

In 2011, the final season of Reebok, the Bills were wearing these socks with the all white set, and then abandoned them in the 2nd half of the season and wore socks that had a good amount of royal blue at the very top (which was fine for the white pants).

These socks below would be PERFECT when wearing the blue pants on the road with the white jerseys. I don't get it, this is a no-brainer

This photo was taken in Sept 2011, the season opener at Arrowhead Stadium. Correct socks for blue pants, but NOT for white ones.

5543106.jpg

Not exactly; The stripes on those socks matched the blue jersey's sleeves - navy/red/white/red/navy on a royal background, but then with a block of white at the top. Those aren't three blue stripes, they're two white stripes amid blue, but with white at the top inexplicably. They did at the end of 2011 have a pair of socks which matched the blue sleeves, so those very socks, except with the top part blue. That's what they need back. They also need to take the socks from this weekend, which were blue stripes on a white background with blue at the top, and eliminate the top blue. That would make them match the sleeves on the white jersey.

It's an optical illusion created by them deciding for some reason to put a different color block of color at the top of each sock. It's an incredibly dumb decision. I don't know who thought that would be a good idea, but I imagine they thought themselves really smart for coming up with it. It's rivaled only by the 49ers stripes in terms of inexplicable decisions ruining an otherwise great element.

One of these days if I'm bored, I'll make an illustration showing their sleeve stripes, the socks they use and the socks they should use, because the maddening problems they have are something most wouldn't see unless they knew to look for it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

What I don't understand is why the Bills white jersey stripes are predominately blue while the pants/helmet stripes are predominately red. Makes no sense to me.

Color balance.

With red pants/helmet stripe and blue sleeve stripes/numbers you get a healthy dose of both colors when you're watching from the stands/on TV. If the stripes were predominantly blue across the whole uniform they would look like a blue and white team from a distance. For some teams that's the intent, but I think the Bills want you know they're a blue and red team (plus navvvvvyyyy ugh).

PvO6ZWJ.png

Sleeve stripes don't have to match pants stripes. They are different elements running in different directions, with different proportions. However, pants stripes should always match helmet stripes. And outside of the stupid flared helmet stripe and the pointless hip logos, the Bills do that.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

FAVORITES

Cowboys / 49ers

the 'Boys uni has a lot of flaws and the 49ers have some of the worst jersey stripe application of all time, but overall its still a classic matchup that is easily read from far away. the 2 teams contrast very well.

mKG5R.St.58.jpeg

Browns / Steelers

classic, hard nosed, old school football. the Browns in white/brown is one of my favorite uniforms. this is another where each team looks great and there is good contrast between the two.

15793333-mmmain.jpg

Bears / Bills

same as the others, though there is a lot of blue, it's still a dark team vs white and theres never a bad read from afar or in a group. if the Bills wore blue pants they wouldnt make it this week.

e80b025238290a235f0f6a70670037e3.jpg

MAKE IT STOP

Jaguars / Eagles

theres so much going on between the 2 uniforms its hard to look at. the only thing that really jumps off screen is the gold in the Jags helmet and that depends on the camera angle.

Jaguars%20Eagles%20Football-2.jpg?ve=1&t

Panthers / Buccs

there is a great color palette here and good contrast but the Buccs might be up here every week. its an embarrassing uniform

panthers-cp-6.jpg

Pats / Dolphins

combing a below average uni (NE) with a bottom end uni (MIA) and there's not much to look at here. just not a pleasing game to me

hi-res-ba0f65a12306627afe485ea58a270a6d_

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Am I the only one that fears the NFL may take Pink October into overdrive (even more so than previously) come October to due to recent events.

There's definitely more than enough pink used on NFL uniforms in October, besides ... the Domestic Violence Awareness color is purple

Am I the only one that fears the NFL may take Pink October into overdrive (even more so than previously) come October to due to recent events.

There's definitely more than enough pink used on NFL uniforms in October, besides ... the Domestic Violence Awareness color is purple

That's ironic as hell, considering Rice played for the Ravens. I'll assume purple is also the awareness color for Double Murder Via Stabbing Outside Nightclubs?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The NFL is currently in the crosshairs of NOW. They're going to have to do something major to get in women's groups good graces. I'm sure there's stuff they can do during the remaining September games, but I have a feeling this Pink October will be cranked up quite a few notches. Trust me, it can become pinker. Basically a panic mode way of saying "see, we do things to help women".

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I'll assume purple is also the awareness color for Double Murder Via Stabbing Outside Nightclubs?

No ... there's no color for that, a statue is given

Ray-Lewis-Statue.jpg

A statue that farts fire no less.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived