MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red Sox are wearing '79 throwbacks tonight vs, Rays. Wondering if the Rays will pull out their fauxbacks too.

I think it's 1975 throwbacks. (1979 is when they abandoned the pullovers. The Bucky Dent game was thus the last game in which they were worn.)

1975 is the year they won the World Series over the Reds with Carlton Fisk's extra inning home run in Game 6, or so you would be led to believe if you watch the usual canned highlights of that series. :P

Red Sox are wearing '79 throwbacks tonight vs, Rays. Wondering if the Rays will pull out their fauxbacks too.

I think it's 1975 throwbacks. (1979 is when they abandoned the pullovers. The Bucky Dent game was thus the last game in which they were worn.)

1975 is the year they won the World Series over the Reds with Carlton Fisk's extra inning home run in Game 6, or so you would be led to believe if you watch the usual canned highlights of that series. :P

Tell me about it. I always felt it was ridiculous for the Fisk homer to be so celebrated knowing that his team lost game 7. With the hypothetical of the Cubs being in the world series too far fetched, I can't imagine another team that would get such love and historic declarations over a moment that was ultimately meaningless.

The only other thing which is in the same category (and not anywhere close) was Lebron James' last second shot to beat the Magic in game two of the 2009 Eastern Conference Finals. Until James finally won a title, ESPN showed that shot in literally every Lebron highlight. It was talked about as if it was one of the greatest shots of all time, and in the end it accounted for one of his team's two wins that series.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I've been waiting for the Padres to do this for years.

I kinda like what the Pads do now with the non-camo cap desert sand colored cap. In no small part because many military ball caps that are worn with camo aren't necessarily camo themselves. That and the Pads with a camo bill and blue cap would just look odd, just as these memorial day caps do. These at least are easy to forget since they're a single day thing that will never been seen again.

The Giants will be wearing their "Gigantes" jerseys in tonight's Cinco de Mayo game against the Padres.

Will the Padres wear a Spanish name jersey for the game too?

JK.

I see that the Royals are wearing "Los Reales" for 7/25 (and today too I think?) and that's a shame. They don't need to add "LOS" to the uniform. "Reales" would have looked just fine.

Go A's!

Tell me about it. I always felt it was ridiculous for the Fisk homer to be so celebrated knowing that his team lost game 7. With the hypothetical of the Cubs being in the world series too far fetched, I can't imagine another team that would get such love and historic declarations over a moment that was ultimately meaningless.

The only other thing which is in the same category (and not anywhere close) was Lebron James' last second shot to beat the Magic in game two of the 2009 Eastern Conference Finals. Until James finally won a title, ESPN showed that shot in literally every Lebron highlight. It was talked about as if it was one of the greatest shots of all time, and in the end it accounted for one of his team's two wins that series.

Most true baseball historians would place that particular Game 6 amongst the greatest games of all time. The 1975 Series was arguably the best ever, and the Fisk homer capped a fantastic comeback by the Sox to force Game 7. The homer is iconic partially due to the unique (at that time) vantage point of the camera from inside the Green Monster. Let's face it. If you hit a walk-off in the World Series, it's going to be replayed.

not to discount the rest of that game, but the camera catching Fisk's wave is a huge part of the mythos here. Can't be understated how big an effect that had.

Indeed, and that only happened because the cameraman was too distracted by rats around him to do as he was instructed and follow the ball.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

The Sox looked really good tonight overall. The guys wearing plain red stockings instead of the classic style (such as Pedroia, Porcello, Sandoval, and Uehara) did not look as sharp. The few minor things I spotted were the modern B on the cap instead of the actual 1975 style, no red batting helmets to match the set, no blue undershirts, and left-handed pitchers did not have patch on right sleeve.

20150505-BW-TAM-PG-19.jpg

Lee-Bill-1975-PitchingAction03.jpg

The only other thing which is in the same category (and not anywhere close) was Lebron James' last second shot to beat the Magic in game two of the 2009 Eastern Conference Finals. Until James finally won a title, ESPN showed that shot in literally every Lebron highlight. It was talked about as if it was one of the greatest shots of all time, and in the end it accountedarrow-10x10.png for one of his team's two wins that series.

Most true baseball historians would place that particular Gamearrow-10x10.png 6 amongst the greatest games of all time. The 1975 Series was arguably the best ever, and the Fisk homer capped a fantastic comeback by the Sox to force Game 7. The homer is iconic partially due to the unique (at that time) vantage point of the camera from inside the Green Monster. Let's face it. If you hit a walk-off in the World Series, it's going to be replayed.

I know the vantage point played into the aura of the play, as did Fisk's waving. However, no matter how good the series was, that homer was meaningless as Boston lost. It's considered iconic and one of the biggest homers of all time, and it really shouldn't be. It's played considerably more than Joe Carter's series-winning walk-off. Or let's look at another recent example: Scott Podsednik hit a walk-off homer in 2005. Sure, it was game two, but he was a lead-off hitter who hadn't hit a homer in the regular season and the Sox ended their 88-year championship drought. I've seen that homer replayed a few times in commercials for the playoffs, but it still hasn't been as replayed as much over the last nine years as Fisk's was, and it was clearly more important in the outcome. Great series aside, if the Reds had beaten the Tigers in the same series, that homer would have a "quirky" replay value and would appear in video montages ahead of Steve Lyons dropping his pants at first base.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

endy_chavez.jpg

Mets fans talk about this catch like it was made with two outs in 9th of game seven with the Mets up by one. Instead, it came in a game they lost.

Hell, they even have a plaque for it!

800px-Endy_Chavez_plaque.JPG

Anubis.png

I see that the Royals are wearing "Los Reales" for 7/25 (and today too I think?) and that's a shame. They don't need to add "LOS" to the uniform. "Reales" would have looked just fine.

This has been a pet peeve of mine ever since the Hispanic Heritage jerseys came out. Why do they have to put "Los" in front of the name? "The" is not in front of the name on the regular jerseys.

Archived