MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

Yeah, I don't like the road grays "C U B S" jersey too. It just doesn't really flow well with the other stuff in the Cubs' set.

As for the blue jerseys, I'm perfectly fine with it. It's an alternate jersey, so an alternate logo would go with it. But that's just me.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that logo in general is bad. But regardless, if they wanted to slap that logo on the chest for one of their minor league teams, that would be fine. It's not befitting of being featured on the chest of a jersey for a franchise that's been playing for over 120 years and is somehow considered storied. Even as an alternate jersey, it's beneath them (before considering that they might wear the alternates 100 times in a given year). Likewise, even if they had a good alternate logo (and I like the two previous ones to degrees), I don't think they could carry a jersey. They have a primary logo which is iconic. There's nothing wrong with using that. I am a huge fan of the White Sox' halfway-retired diamond sock logo, but I wouldn't want that appearing on the chest of an alternate jersey, either.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think that logo in general is bad. But regardless, if they wanted to slap that logo on the chest for one of their minor league teams, that would be fine. It's not befitting of being featured on the chest of a jersey for a franchise that's been playing for over 120 years and is somehow considered storied. Even as an alternate jersey, it's beneath them (before considering that they might wear the alternates 100 times in a given year). Likewise, even if they had a good alternate logo (and I like the two previous ones to degrees), I don't think they could carry a jersey. They have a primary logo which is iconic. There's nothing wrong with using that. I am a huge fan of the White Sox' halfway-retired diamond sock logo, but I wouldn't want that appearing on the chest of an alternate jersey, either.

I like the logo. The crawling bear is way better (to me) than the bear heads that used to adorn the sleeve patches.

That said, I agree with most of this. There's no value to putting that in place of the CUBS chest logo. If this was a 20-year expansion team playing in a new ballpark, sure. But the home primary is pretty much iconic and should be at Wrigley every single time. I went to the game in which the blue alt was worn....I was glad it was not my first time at Wrigley; I'd have felt a bit ripped off.

It's true that the Cubs have never had a great road look and that nothing's stuck. So I can deal with them wearing an alt on the road. And while I like this logo, this just looks too "batting practice" to me.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Yeah, I don't like the road grays "C U B S" jersey too.

Me, either. I think the fact that you have to put so much space between the four letters is what ruins it, and that's why it would be difficult to put anything other than "Chicago" on the road set. Nothing wrong with their regular road look, in my opinion.

I signed up to say a couple things.

First of all, the Cubs haven't worn their alternates at home since I believe 2009. So please get your facts together people.

Second of all, you White Sux bias is really showing Roman. First off, I'm not a fan of their grey alt, but how on earth is it anywhere near among the worst in sports? Because there's a bit of space between the wordmark? Honestly I'm not huge on the wordmark, or the numbers, but everything else about the uniform is great.

Also what's wrong with their alt logo? It's a bear in a C, what's wrong with that? It's far less cartoony than their other bear logos, and I feel with it's pose it fits well with the C. How about giving a reason?

Third of all, "somehow considered historic"? Yeah, who would ever think the second winning team in baseball, along with being the oldest American pro sports team and playing at arguably the most iconic stadium in sports would be considered iconic. Clearly a team playing at Corporate Sellout Park (which they only got from kick and screaming that they'd move to Tampa) with the fewest playoff appearances and whom's most well known moment was when they almost killed the league by losing on purpose is soooo historic.

First of all, the Cubs haven't worn their alternates at home since I believe 2009. So please get your facts together people.

Second of all, you White Sux bias is really showing Roman. First off, I'm not a fan of their grey alt, but how on earth is it anywhere near among the worst in sports? Because there's a bit of space between the wordmark? Honestly I'm not huge on the wordmark, or the numbers, but everything else about the uniform is great.

Also what's wrong with their alt logo? It's a bear in a C, what's wrong with that? It's far less cartoony than their other bear logos, and I feel with it's pose it fits well with the C. How about giving a reason?

Third of all, "somehow considered historic"? Yeah, who would ever think the second winning team in baseball, along with being the oldest American pro sports team and playing at arguably the most iconic stadium in sports would be considered iconic. Clearly a team playing at Corporate Sellout Park (which they only got from kick and screaming that they'd move to Tampa) with the fewest playoff appearances and whom's most well known moment was when they almost killed the league by losing on purpose is soooo historic.

Wait...you're not a fan of the wordmark or the numbers, but everything else is great? What else is there?? So the piping, the gray color, and the buttons are fantastic??! lmao

OldRoman is spot on...the C-U-B-S jersey is one of the worst in sports.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

This is good:

Anthony-Rizzo-Starlin-Castro-Chicago-Cub

This is not....by a country mile:

cropped_Cubs_New_Road_Alts.jpg?ts=139707

And if they insist of using an alt, use these beauties:

76849a_lg.jpeg

Now that's something I can agree with! The "primary" road uniform is fine. The alt grays are not fine.

And I'd love for these pullovers to make some sort of a return to the jersey rotation.

This is good:

Anthony-Rizzo-Starlin-Castro-Chicago-Cub

This is not....by a country mile:

cropped_Cubs_New_Road_Alts.jpg?ts=139707

And if they insist of using an alt, use these beauties:

76849a_lg.jpeg

Now that's something I can agree with! The "primary" road uniform is fine. The alt grays are not fine.

And I'd love for these pullovers to make some sort of a return to the jersey rotation.

They don't have to be pullovers necessarily but at least make them like that with the updated cub in C shoulder logo or change to Cub face on all uniforms.

I despise the White Sox and I can also tell you these are among the worst in sports. The wordmark is horrible, the front number is ridiculously small, the pipings are mismatched, it's a mess...

...especially considering how bad the alternate is.

I know that everybody has their own opinions and whatnot, but could you please elaborate on why you don't like the Cubs' blue jerseys? I'm rather curious of it, because I've always thought that they were fine.

Oh, dear. Yes, I meant the almost universally maligned gray alternate, not to blue alternate. While I'm of the mind that the purity of white vs. gray is an important part of baseball colored alts shouldn't overshadow/become more prominent than the home and away. That being said, I've accepted their part in the culture of certain teams and can appreciate a good looking one. The Cubs blue does look good, although it does sometimes look a little... amateurish. I dunno if it's the lack of piping or maybe the plack stitching isn't as noticeable, or the materials don't look right, but it doesn't look like a professional jersey sometimes.

Seeing that beautiful pullover alt, I'd love to see them lean more towards that design for a blue alt.

Oi. First of all, one person said that they wore blue at home the first time he went to Wrigley, and that they should always wear their iconic home pinstripes. Don't yell out for people to get their facts together when there isn't a group of people that are spouting wrong facts. Actually, don't say it at all. It's kind of hostile for no reason.

I mentioned in my post that the gray alt was nearly universally maligned. I think you're the first person I've ever seen defend them. The wordmark is rather ugly, the piping doesn't jive with anything else in the team's identity, the color always looks off between the lettering and the piping, and the mere existence of a gray alt just seems stupid. Most people add alternates to bring in a nice splash of color. Creating an alternate that's a color of an already existing uni doesn't really accomplish anything. This uniform has no reason to exist and is ugly. Is that enough of a reason for you?

And don't go maligning longtime members by claiming their opinions are biased. I'll tell you right now the Red Sox have one of the most beautiful home looks in sports. Go ahead and crap on the White Sox all you want because of your inadequacies about your organization. The Cubs are a very iconic organization, but most of the things they're iconic for are nothing to be proud of.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is not good

9JV6HI6.jpg

I turned that game on, saw that the Mets were wearing those, and turned it off right away.

They finally eliminated black, eliminated the useless snowhites, made the pinstripes jersey white again and they still needed to find a way to f*** up their set with these butt ugly alts. Great job Mets, great job... I was there yesterday and I'm glad I have missed these by a day.

Hot take right here.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It's true that the Cubs have never had a great road look and that nothing's stuck.

pMLB2-2980976dt.jpg

Yes. That was a great road jersey and by far the best they've looked on the road. Plus, it has the stupid neck piping that's been so trendy the last fifteen years. Honestly, they should bring that back with names on the back, and maybe a different sleeve patch (although I really like that patch). I think they wore this for the better part of the '60s. For some reason, several teams with classic home jerseys felt the need to jump around more in terms of road looks, and that's a shame. If the Tigers just removed the white outlines from the current roads, they would be perfect for eternity. Those Cubs roads could be an iconic look. Take the sleeve patch off the Dodgers' "Los Angeles" roads and that's ironic. The Red Sox are less clear as they've never looked great on the road, IMO. I'd prefer if they went to a neck spoon like on the home jerseys. There's no reason these teams can't settle on a road look and make it iconic over time.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

rack him, he's out

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

It's true that the Cubs have never had a great road look and that nothing's stuck.

pMLB2-2980976dt.jpg

Yes. That was a great road jersey and by far the best they've looked on the road. Plus, it has the stupid neck piping that's been so trendy the last fifteen years. Honestly, they should bring that back with names on the back, and maybe a different sleeve patch (although I really like that patch). I think they wore this for the better part of the '60s. For some reason, several teams with classic home jerseys felt the need to jump around more in terms of road looks, and that's a shame. If the Tigers just removed the white outlines from the current roads, they would be perfect for eternity. Those Cubs roads could be an iconic look. Take the sleeve patch off the Dodgers' "Los Angeles" roads and that's ironic. The Red Sox are less clear as they've never looked great on the road, IMO. I'd prefer if they went to a neck spoon like on the home jerseys. There's no reason these teams can't settle on a road look and make it iconic over time.

Which company is it that makes the heathered gray poly uniforms? Is it UA? Not all gray uniforms would look good with that textrure, but that one certainly would. It'd be great if Majestic could reproduce it like that other company did.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived