MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

You deride the Cubs' road script for being "plain Jane", then endorse a jersey that uses plain block lettering and numbering instead.

The CHICAGO script, as well, uses block lettering. Except it also doesn't use any blue color piping on the uniform, nor the white/blue piping on the pants (they go plan gray pants). It's just blue CHICAGO. About as un-interesting as one can get, and not one that has been a consistent medium, either.

Is block CUBS lettering plain jane? Sure thing. I made mention that I certainly don't love those jerseys above. Only that given the current road combinations presently available, you can sign me up for their current alternates every day over the CHICAGO script. Neither are home runs.

The CHICAGO script on the normal road jersey is not block lettering. It has a bit of style to it.

If it's not block lettering it's block lettering's little brother. The style on it is basically block lettering that's a little skinnier.

Either way, it's a boring jersey and one of my least favorite looks the Cubs have today. I do wish they'd update them. Wouldn't have issue if they dumped the alternate, either, if a new road was introduced and it was good.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You deride the Cubs' road script for being "plain Jane", then endorse a jersey that uses plain block lettering and numbering instead.

The CHICAGO script, as well, uses block lettering. Except it also doesn't use any blue color piping on the uniform, nor the white/blue piping on the pants (they go plan gray pants). It's just blue CHICAGO. About as un-interesting as one can get, and not one that has been a consistent medium, either.

Is block CUBS lettering plain jane? Sure thing. I made mention that I certainly don't love those jerseys above. Only that given the current road combinations presently available, you can sign me up for their current alternates every day over the CHICAGO script. Neither are home runs.

The CHICAGO script on the normal road jersey is not block lettering. It has a bit of style to it.

If it's not block lettering it's block lettering's little brother. The style on it is basically block lettering that's a little skinnier.

Either way, it's a boring jersey and one of my least favorite looks the Cubs have today. I do wish they'd update them. Wouldn't have issue if they dumped the alternate, either, if a new road was introduced and it was good.

But rounded. Without serifs.

So really, not all that similar to basic block lettering at all.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

But rounded. Without serifs.

So really, not all that similar to basic block lettering at all.

Yeah...you're right. Willing to accept my medicine when wrong.

I'll amend my thoughts then: while it's not basic block lettering, the font style is very boring in it's own right. It may not be block, but it's not visually exciting and in my opinion boring. None of their road options match the beauty of the home, which is where my major issue lies. I still like the alt more than the road (font aside, there's still a few extra color pops), but neither are "good".

The Cubs' Chicago script isn't plain, it's just weird and the slightest bit ugly.ernie-banks-hof.jpgErnie Banks having the time of his life wearing a Cubs road jersey that looks good for a change.

This will always be my favorite Cubs road uniform. A distinctive element in the underline and no red touching the blue:

1945_Cubs_jersey_by_kiowapilot.jpg

Why could they not have inspired their road alt on this one?

That underline looks like a frown, which made it perfect for Norman Rockwell

norman-rockwell-the-dugout.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Cubs' Chicago script isn't plain, it's just weird and the slightest bit ugly.ernie-banks-hof.jpgErnie Banks having the time of his life wearing a Cubs road jersey that looks good for a change.

This will always be my favorite Cubs road uniform. A distinctive element in the underline and no red touching the blue:1945_Cubs_jersey_by_kiowapilot.jpg

Why could they not have inspired their road alt on this one?

That underline looks like a frown, which made it perfect for Norman Rockwell

norman-rockwell-the-dugout.jpg

Technically it does, but honestly besides that purposely depressing painting I've never seen that uniform and thought it look like it frowning. I mean heck you could look at the Reds logo and say it looks like a toilet seat, but that's no reason not to use it.

And even if it looking like frown was such a big deal, you could just straighten the script and underline a little bit.

Besides maybe some of the camo fecal matter, do people think this is the worst uniform in MLB?

anthony-rizzo-mlb-chicago-cubs-pittsburg

After giving it a better look I've got to agree... The lettering looks pretty bad, inconsistent piping is a no no and the small number complete the "straight out of Ebay" look. -5/10

The fact that it's the team name on the road jersey instead of "Chicago" makes it pretty awful too.

I agree. Personally, I like it when the city or state name, depending on the team, is on the road jersey.

Besides maybe some of the camo fecal matter, do people think this is the worst uniform in MLB?anthony-rizzo-mlb-chicago-cubs-pittsburg

After giving it a better look I've got to agree... The lettering looks pretty bad, inconsistent piping is a no no and the small number complete the "straight out of Ebay" look. -5/10

The fact that it's the team name on the road jersey instead of "Chicago" makes it pretty awful too.

I agree. Personally, I like it when the city or state name, depending on the team, is on the road jersey.

Just to add on to the concept of location on road jersey, what about teams with the location on the home jersey.

Like the Rangers

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/slides/photos/003/413/754/hi-res-178701091-jurickson-profar-of-the-texas-rangers-runs-the-bases_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

Or the Marlins

http://content.sportslogos.net/news/2014/03/Miami-Marlins-Home-Uniform-2012.jpg

Or the Twins navy Alternate

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/files/2014/08/mlb-cleveland-indians-minnesota-twins-850x560.jpg

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

They were one of the best looking teams. Then they added all these changes in the past five years and their look isn't that great anymore.

I even forgot about the beautiful orange alt they had before the current one. I fail to see how the new one could be considered any better.

orange-friday.jpg

Besides maybe some of the camo fecal matter, do people think this is the worst uniform in MLB?anthony-rizzo-mlb-chicago-cubs-pittsburg

Just to add on to the concept of location on road jersey, what about teams with the location on the home jersey.

Like the Rangers

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/slides/photos/003/413/754/hi-res-178701091-jurickson-profar-of-the-texas-rangers-runs-the-bases_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

Or the Marlins

http://content.sportslogos.net/news/2014/03/Miami-Marlins-Home-Uniform-2012.jpg

Or the Twins navy Alternate

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/files/2014/08/mlb-cleveland-indians-minnesota-twins-850x560.jpg

The Twins navy alternate is normally worn on road games I believe.

Like the Rangershttp://img.bleacherreport.net/img/slides/photos/003/413/754/hi-res-178701091-jurickson-profar-of-the-texas-rangers-runs-the-bases_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

Or the Marlinshttp://content.sportslogos.net/news/2014/03/Miami-Marlins-Home-Uniform-2012.jpg

Or the Twins navy Alternatehttp://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/files/2014/08/mlb-cleveland-indians-minnesota-twins-850x560.jpg

The Twins navy alternate is normally worn on road games I believe.
This past season they got rid of the navy one that says twins, so they wore the road one a lot of times this year at home

Edit: just checked, and they wore it 27 times at home in 2014

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

The Cubs' Chicago script isn't plain, it's just weird and the slightest bit ugly.

ernie-banks-hof.jpg

Ernie Banks having the time of his life wearing a Cubs road jersey that looks good for a change.

I would welcome the Cubs doing a road version of the Twins' Killebrew tribute for Banks with this jersey and never getting rid of it.

nl_1979_pittsburgh.gif

That graphic understates the combinations.

Here's pinstripes over yellow:

f49b01c50e6b03a0f2f291df2f42f114.jpg

Here's black over yellow:

dave-parker-pittsburg-pirates-autographe

Here's black over pinstripes:

7681725.jpg

While I cannot be sure that all of those images are from the 1979 season, I believe that they did use all those combinations during that season.

Here is the 1979 team picture, showing black over yellow:

topps1980-551F.jpg

These pictures both appear to be from the '79 World Series.

100209082948_ROOK.jpgwillie_stargell_1979.jpg

Posting them is not helping my ongoing efforts to purge that event from my memory.

Also, here is yellow over pinstripes. I'm not sure when this one was taken.

top%2B100%2B_55%2BWillie%2BStargell.png

I think that covers all nine combinations.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

If you're talking about the team photo, I think that is a pillbox hat too. Only the helmet was solid yellow.

I thought the entire set was hideous in the first place. The fact that it conjures up memories of the '79 World Series only makes it worse.

. . . and don't get me started on "We Are Family"!!!!!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

That graphic understates the combinations.

Here's pinstripes over yellow:

Here's black over yellow:

Here's black over pinstripes:

While I cannot be sure that all of those images are from the 1979 season, I believe that they did use all those combinations during that season.

Here is the 1979 team picture, showing black over yellow:

These pictures both appear to be from the '79 World Series.

Posting them is not helping my ongoing efforts to purge that event from my memory.

Also, here is yellow over pinstripes. I'm not sure when this one was taken.

I think that covers all nine combinations.

It's nine combinations, but if you include the two different cap options then it's some kind of number of combinations that scientists are still trying to figure out.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived