MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

Over the weekend, Adam Jones and David Lough wore stirrups that match the 1960s Orioles uniforms (see Brooks Robinson picture below).

koji-uehara-david-lough-mlb-boston-red-sbrooksrobinson.jpg

They had been wearing these, which were adopted after a throwback game last season. Presumably, Jones did this on his own, because Lough wore the black ones on Friday . . . meaning mismatched socks that night.

adam-jones-mlb-new-york-yankees-baltimor

Also,in the top picture, it looks like Lough is wearing black socks under the stirrups.

To add to the mismatch, Lough and Jones would the orange stirrups yesterday. However, Ubaldo Jimenez wore plain black ones.

2015-Orioles-White-Sox-empty-stadium-Cam2015-Orioles-White-Sox-empty-stadium-Cam

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, they stupidly underuse light blue on the home and navy jerseys, too. My point is they have a third color, which is pretty unique in baseball and would further distinguish them from other teams, yet they barely use it. Put a light blue outline on the names and numbers for the home/road jerseys and they go from bland to somewhat interesting. Make the navy numbers on the navy jersey light blue and it goes from "unmitigated crap" to really good.

How would you feel about dark green (kind of like the Eagles' green) with light blue and hints of yellow? I think it would be pretty sharp.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Padres wearing the brown and orange 80's uniforms and they look really good.

Doesn't look bad at all in the mostly-blue Petco Park, either. No reason for them to not be in brown and gold.

Speak for yourself. It clashed terribly IMO with the Padres wearing brown. After watching the team match the ballpark since their latter days at Qualcomm (basically the last 20 years) it just doesn't look right with them in brown and their surroundings in blue and sand. That said, this was definitely their best brown look. The bigger SD has proven a long standing winner, and the pinstripes looked good. The last brown uni actually laid the groundwork for what was probably the Pads best uni when they went blue and orange.

Yep the Padres are likely going to have a non-throwback brown alternate that they wear on Fridays next season. But the rumor has long been that they're coming out a full uniform redesign in 2016 too. Which mean that they'll likely have a new blue uniform for their primaries and roads, while also having a brown alt and more than likely a continuation of their popular military camo uniform for Sunday. Which means no full time brown for the foreseeable future.

Which is a good thing to my mind as they've long maintained the majority of the fan base likes the blue (or some variant of it), and that the vocal minority likes brown, plus the camo has always had it's supporters in a military town like San Diego. Now everyone will get what they want.

In terms of the article vote, taken in context it seems the question was about whether GLB readers thought that the solution was a good answer to the brown problem. So in that regard it was really a "yes or no" question. Now yes obviously means those voters thought it was enough brown. The no's could have been people who didn't think it went far enough, or those who thought it went too far (ie, either wanted all brown, or no brown). Either way, they appear to have been narrowly outvoted by those that think that having a brown alt is the ideal solution. And I counted myself among them per my reasoning above.

The Tigers shouldn't use orange at all. I think they looked their best in 1934.

FE9Dfmq.gif

No way. We already have one boring-ass-by-default gray and navy team in the Yankees, but they at least have reason to be as such. We also have the half-assing-it Rays and Padres, who have secondary colors but completely forgo them on the road unis. If the Tigers had never used orange on the road, I wouldn't be calling for them to add it. However, dropping it on the road would be to the detriment of their look. It's a shame the Tigers couldn't have incorporated orange into their home jerseys, too, back in the day. I think it would make them much better. That being said, it's far to late to change them now, as well.

The Rays have the same amount of Columbia Blue on the head and the road, no?

x2qctly3mgplt6we9nxvnsow8.gif

Yeah, they stupidly underuse light blue on the home and navy jerseys, too. My point is they have a third color, which is pretty unique in baseball and would further distinguish them from other teams, yet they barely use it. Put a light blue outline on the names and numbers for the home/road jerseys and they go from bland to somewhat interesting. Make the navy numbers on the navy jersey light blue and it goes from "unmitigated crap" to really good.

That's why I like the "fauxbacks" better because those unis actually use all 3 colors.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

How would you feel about dark green (kind of like the Eagles' green) with light blue and hints of yellow? I think it would be pretty sharp.

I think a medium-to-dark green might work...seems like a no-brainer to have a color called Palm Tree Green.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

That's not a real Brooklyn Dodgers logo.

It's listed on the main page as an alternate (albeit one for the... Robins, I believe).

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I was just wondering why you said the Rays were lacking on the road specifically, when the road has as much as the home. Yeah, they could stand to spread around the columbia blue a little more, maybe a full-time bill on the cap. Honestly, given the way the lighter color could easily blend into nothingness against white or maybe even gray, it couldn't be piping or striping on its own. I'm unsure how to use it as anything but an accent color without replacing navy as the primary color. I think this would be a mistake because I think it works well as a secondary color to navy.

Is the whole plaid thing still a thing down there? Honestly, when they were nobody, that was the thing that was most unique about them, and I really wish they'd incorporated it into their identity more. Not necessarily their uniforms, but it would have given them a little more uniqueness.

When the crap did Gaslamp Ball go brown?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Over the weekend, Adam Jones and David Lough wore stirrups that match the 1960s Orioles uniforms (see Brooks Robinson picture below).

koji-uehara-david-lough-mlb-boston-red-sbrooksrobinson.jpg

They had been wearing these, which were adopted after a throwback game last season. Presumably, Jones did this on his own, because Lough wore the black ones on Friday . . . meaning mismatched socks that night.

adam-jones-mlb-new-york-yankees-baltimor

Also,in the top picture, it looks like Lough is wearing black socks under the stirrups.

To add to the mismatch, Lough and Jones would the orange stirrups yesterday. However, Ubaldo Jimenez wore plain black ones.

2015-Orioles-White-Sox-empty-stadium-Cam2015-Orioles-White-Sox-empty-stadium-Cam

It's not like anyone was there to notice lol...

BTW, Gary Thorne's call of the game was classic.

NYCdog.png

That's not a real Brooklyn Dodgers logo.

It's listed on the main page as an alternate (albeit one for the... Robins, I believe).

I know. But as much as I love the mothership, there are plenty of "historical logos" that were never actually used by clubs.

Given that in all the years I've been visiting it's never gotten hold of the fact that the Yankees print logo is NOT the cap logo, I understand what you mean.

spacer.png

spacer.png

BTW, Gary Thorne's call of the game was classic.

Agreed. I loved the Masters voice.

He has a very good dry sense of humor.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

I'm not sure how the Eagles' jade would work with light blue, and I'm not sure yellow would help thing with that scheme. Either way, I'd love for them to go back to forest green and light blue, preferably without black. That was a good color scheme that they used in a bad way.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I was just wondering why you said the Rays were lacking on the road specifically, when the road has as much as the home. Yeah, they could stand to spread around the columbia blue a little more, maybe a full-time bill on the cap. Honestly, given the way the lighter color could easily blend into nothingness against white or maybe even gray, it couldn't be piping or striping on its own. I'm unsure how to use it as anything but an accent color without replacing navy as the primary color. I think this would be a mistake because I think it works well as a secondary color to navy.

Is the whole plaid thing still a thing down there? Honestly, when they were nobody, that was the thing that was most unique about them, and I really wish they'd incorporated it into their identity more. Not necessarily their uniforms, but it would have given them a little more uniqueness.

I was referring specifically to the Tigers going just gray and navy on the road, so I only mentioned the Padres and Rays road sets, which borrow from the Yankees in just having navy numbers with white outlines, despite the fact that both teams have perfectly acceptable accent colors they could use in lieu of white on the road set.

Also, I don't think Columbia blue would blend much against white, and definitely not against gray. Think of the Mariners' set before they F'd it up this year. The complaint was that the teal disappeared against the navy, not the white/gray. Columbia blue is lighter than teal, so it won't blend with navy. I don't think it would blend with white, either. Regardless, that's the perfect place to use it. It's an outline, and the current outline is white against a white jersey. It's nothing. So if they switch the outline to Columbia blue, at very worst the jersey will look like it does now. At best, it'll look lots better for incorporating a vibrant color.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I've got a question - It's generally accepted as fact in San Diego that the Padres will be changing uniforms next year and that the ASG16 logo will be an unveiling of sorts for their new look. Has any team ever changed uniforms going into a season in which they hosted the All-Star Game? I went quickly through the page on the main site but nothing really jumped out.

I've got a question - It's generally accepted as fact in San Diego that the Padres will be changing uniforms next year and that the ASG16 logo will be an unveiling of sorts for their new look. Has any team ever changed uniforms going into a season in which they hosted the All-Star Game? I went quickly through the page on the main site but nothing really jumped out.

I don't think hosting the game would preclude anyone from doing a rebrand. Teams are going to sell a bunch of hats and shirts with the ASG logo on it, but it's not like very many people would be running out to buy new jerseys for the ASG patch, to the point where teams would want to wait a year to do the rebrand. That being said, I hadn't heard anything saying the Padres were rebranding next year, so I think that might be news.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Interesting idea making the rounds -- asking the Orioles to wear "Baltimore" on their home uniforms when they return home on May 11th (IIRC). I'm curious to see if it gains any traction.

I don't think hosting the game would preclude anyone from doing a rebrand. Teams are going to sell a bunch of hats and shirts with the ASG logo on it, but it's not like very many people would be running out to buy new jerseys for the ASG patch, to the point where teams would want to wait a year to do the rebrand. That being said, I hadn't heard anything saying the Padres were rebranding next year, so I think that might be news.

The idea is that the new owners/management don't want to host a party in the last regime's clothes.

Interesting idea making the rounds -- asking the Orioles to wear "Baltimore" on their home uniforms when they return home on May 11th (IIRC). I'm curious to see if it gains any traction.

Why? People should be embarrassed about the way they acted, not be rewarded.

It made sense when the Red Sox did it, because Bostonian's actually banded together, they didn't destroy the city.

Not sure about that one. Self-inflicted tragedies aren't quite the same as oustside attacks or natural disasters.

"Let's burn down our city and then have a city pride movement" rings a little hollow.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived