MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

What do you guys think of a blue, brown, and tan combo?

il_570xN.314238399.jpgCB9270_md_CNT.jpg

So basically bring back the blue and sand but throw in some brown? Seems a reasonable compromise. Definitely a less glaring use of brown than the ways the Padres used it previously with brown/yellow, brown/orange and brown/yellow/orange.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah screw brown, let's just have the Padres look like every other team! Even if brown wad gaudy (which it isn't), MLB needs some originality in color for the love of all that's good and holy.

Why? There was a time every team was white and grey with very little variety in the supplimentary colors (and very little use of them). And this is in a sport that's largely been traditional over most of its history with the most iconic uniform sets largely still adhering to that.

That said brown may be associated in some folks of a certain age's minds with the Padres but fact is they've worn blue through more of their history now than brown and gold. They're as much a blue team as they are a brown team. And that's only if you count the MLB years. If you go back to their origins in 1936 they've not only worn blue (through an even longer stretch of their overall history) but also various times black and then red have also been their primary colors. Brown was only one of many primary colors they've worn in their history. And the presentations of it were not their best uniforms, PCL or MLB.

The Padres aren't the Yankees or Tigers or Dodgers, they come from an era where simply wearing navy and white was unacceptable, they should play the part by having a still classy uniform with at least something unique (in this case, the color scheme). Right now though they're just playing dress up as other teams. They will NEVER be a navy team no matter how long they wear it unless they can show us a unique way of using it, right now they're just taking the safe, already down route instead of looking like themselves. And I don't care about the PCL Padres, different franchise, and even by 1936 navy and red was played out.

I remember once being on a Padres forum after ESPN I believe ranked their uniforms as the worst in baseball. It amused me, this guy was claiming that they were bias by complaining how "we look the same as teams high on this list, why are we so low?" That's exactly it! There's nothing interesting or unique about your look right now! Sorry Padres, had you been founded 50 years earlier maybe you could have jumped on the navy and white bandwagon, but it's way too filled up at this point. At least add an interesting color with it (even when it was used more the navy and sand looked extremely similar to the Brewers). The Padres have one of the best looking ballparks, a park that didn't necessarily play it safe with things like the Western Metal Supply Building in left field or "park in the park" feature, but they're completely spinless when it comes to their uniforms.

Not to mention the Padres still haven't reached the point in navy that they did in brown (actually winning a World Series game, still their biggest accomplishment)

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

Brown is completely underutilized in sports, and I think the main reason is because it's uses in history haven't been the greatest so it's a complete no fly zone now. The Padres are a prime example. Brown and yellow are maybe the worst possible combination.

I think when used properly, it could be part of a fantastic color scheme. Brown and navy, with another neutral accent would look fantastic, especially for a team like San Diego (navy/brown = water/sand plus the military tie in).

sig.png

Yeah screw brown, let's just have the Padres look like every other team! Even if brown wad gaudy (which it isn't), MLB needs some originality in color for the love of all that's good and holy.

Why? There was a time every team was white and grey with very little variety in the supplimentary colors (and very little use of them). And this is in a sport that's largely been traditional over most of its history with the most iconic uniform sets largely still adhering to that.

That said brown may be associated in some folks of a certain age's minds with the Padres but fact is they've worn blue through more of their history now than brown and gold. They're as much a blue team as they are a brown team. And that's only if you count the MLB years. If you go back to their origins in 1936 they've not only worn blue (through an even longer stretch of their overall history) but also various times black and then red have also been their primary colors. Brown was only one of many primary colors they've worn in their history. And the presentations of it were not their best uniforms, PCL or MLB.

They will NEVER be a navy team no matter how long they wear it

Somebody grew up in the 70's/80's. What I've learned number one on these boards: majority of the time, if it's from the 60's/70's/80's, it's better than "the crap" that is out there today. Not because it actually is better (some cases it is better but it's about 50/50 let's be real), but because most people on these boards are older/middle aged men who grew up in that time period, and they grew up with that look and to them that is the best.

What do you guys think of a blue, brown, and tan combo?

il_570xN.314238399.jpgCB9270_md_CNT.jpg

So basically bring back the blue and sand but throw in some brown? Seems a reasonable compromise. Definitely a less glaring use of brown than the ways the Padres used it previously with brown/yellow, brown/orange and brown/yellow/orange.

Yes. They don't have to bring back those wild uniforms from the 70's to use brown. This combo actually looks pretty sharp, and fits San Diego, imo. Blue for the water, and tan and brown for the sand. Here's a couple more pics with darker blue.

SB2490_md_TNT.jpg

SB1424_md_TNT.jpg

The Padres set, aside from the camo, isn't bad at all when taken at face value. I remember seeing a concept with the current logos in the old colors that looked great. IIRC, it was the blue alt with the navy and white changed to the brown and gold, respectively.

Did Tampa Bay wear the navy fauxbacks again this season? I know they wore the powder blue fauxbacks but I can't recall if they wore the navy ones again.

Yes, they did in June.
I believe it was the first time it was done in CoolBase. Interestingly the road version was not.

Somebody grew up in the 70's/80's. What I've learned number one on these boards: majority of the time, if it's from the 60's/70's/80's, it's better than "the crap" that is out there today. Not because it actually is better (some cases it is better but it's about 50/50 let's be real), but because most people on these boards are older/middle aged men who grew up in that time period, and they grew up with that look and to them that is the best.

I'm one middle-aged guy who doesn't fit that stereotype I'd like to think...

I'm one middle-aged guy who doesn't fit that stereotype I'd like to think...

You're a jack of all trades ColorWerx, and I tip my cap to you. Break the mold!

I grew up in the 1970s and 80s. I'd like most of the fashions from those eras placed at the bottom of a very deep hole, covered with a layer of industrial nuclear waste and then buried under six feet of concrete.

I know you have a better argument than trying to paint everyone else with an exceptionally broad brush. I certainly wouldn't want to paint all 22-year-olds as insulated kids who don't know the difference between timeless style and passing fads. :P

I grew up in the 1970s and 80s. I'd like most of the fashions from those eras placed at the bottom of a very deep hole, covered with a layer of industrial nuclear waste and then buried under six feet of concrete.

I know you have a better argument than trying to paint everyone else with an exceptionally broad brush. I certainly wouldn't want to paint all 22-year-olds as insulated kids who don't know the difference between timeless style and passing fads. :P

I didn't say all I said most. and sadly, most 22 year olds love flashy passing fads like Chrome lids and bright colors, so you're pretty accurate haha. And while I love almost everything Oregon has trotted out and some teams can rock modern (TCU, FSU, OSU come to mind), I am sadly in the minority that I love a good ole fashioned Alabama-LSU matchup.

I grew up in the '90s. The Padres were navy and orange when I started watching baseball. Still, to me, brown is right for the Padres. It's the same situation with the Astros. They were in navy and gold when I started watching, but I had felt for the last ten years that navy and orange was right for them. Through seeing old highlights, posters, merchandise, etc, I was able to get a feel of what the teams were historically and what they should be.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I was born in 1987. I grew up during the 90s and 2000s when all of these modern trends really started to take over. And I prefer the older, more traditional looks. Despite not growing up in the 60s or 70s.

What were you saying about breaking moulds?

I was born in 1987. I grew up during the 90s and 2000s when all of these modern trends really started to take over. And I prefer the older, more traditional looks. Despite not growing up in the 60s or 70s.

What were you saying about breaking moulds?

Heck, I was born in 2000, and I vastly prefer a good old Colts-Packers matchup to anything with chrome or neon or gradients and such.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

That pretty much describes me. Growing up in the 70s and 80s I loved pullovers, white panel caps/helmets, AstroTurf, and the bright colors and crazy designs of the Pirates, Padres, and Astros. Now I realize how hideous they were and consider the late 60s - very early 70s to be the golden era of MLB uniforms, even though it was before my day. Today's MLB uniforms are, for the most part, the best they've been since the early 70s, and in some cases better. I still don't like those alternates, though. :)

Can't find if this has been brought up yet, but this was found in a Lids and is a supposed 2015 Tigers alternate road cap.

DEC5C1F6-BF7E-4DC7-BB01-0C34303E2F43_zps

Could be a defect, could be legit. One of the guys in the group supposedly knows someone in the Tigers' front office that confirmed this is a new hat for 2015.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived