MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen defects sold at the Oakland Coliseum before too. So I take it with a grain of salt. However, if your friend in the know is really in the know, it's not a bad alt cap. However, it's completely unnecessary

Not a friend - just someone I saw post in a Facebook group.

I wish they had taken a picture of the price sticker under the bill. That would've essentially proved if it was a defect or a real 2015 hat.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I've seen defects sold at the Oakland Coliseum before too. So I take it with a grain of salt. However, if your friend in the know is really in the know, it's not a bad alt cap. However, it's completely unnecessary

I wish they had taken a picture of the price sticker under the bill. That would've essentially proved if it was a defect or a real 2015 hat.

The thing that makes me think it might be real is that the Tigers feature no orange bills, so it would be odd to get that mixed up.

The defect A's cap I got was basically the home version with the logo in all gold, like their previous road cap. But the cap shared a mixture of current elements. So it was understood on the error.

But that's just my assumption how things are done in the NE factories

Go A's!

I saw that hat at Lids last week, but the under brim had the baseball-shaped hologram, not the rectangular one found on the on-field caps.

Also, that navy stitching on the bill looks atrocious. Who the hell signed off on that?

Yeah screw brown, let's just have the Padres look like every other team! Even if brown wad gaudy (which it isn't), MLB needs some originality in color for the love of all that's good and holy.

Why? There was a time every team was white and grey with very little variety in the supplimentary colors (and very little use of them). And this is in a sport that's largely been traditional over most of its history with the most iconic uniform sets largely still adhering to that.

That said brown may be associated in some folks of a certain age's minds with the Padres but fact is they've worn blue through more of their history now than brown and gold. They're as much a blue team as they are a brown team. And that's only if you count the MLB years. If you go back to their origins in 1936 they've not only worn blue (through an even longer stretch of their overall history) but also various times black and then red have also been their primary colors. Brown was only one of many primary colors they've worn in their history. And the presentations of it were not their best uniforms, PCL or MLB.

They will NEVER be a navy team no matter how long they wear it

Somebody grew up in the 70's/80's. What I've learned number one on these boards: majority of the time, if it's from the 60's/70's/80's, it's better than "the crap" that is out there today. Not because it actually is better (some cases it is better but it's about 50/50 let's be real), but because most people on these boards are older/middle aged men who grew up in that time period, and they grew up with that look and to them that is the best.

That and to him they may never be Navy team, but to folks who grew up in the 40's, 50's and 60's or 90's and later, they've been a navy team the majority of their existence. And yes the PCL Padres were a different franchise, but they were still the San Diego Padres and still part of the legacy the Padres still claim to this day. They celebrated their 75th anniversary back in 2011 as part of that.

This was my favorite Padres set:

SanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1997.jpg

Couldn't agree more. This was their most cohesive and classy looking set to date. Probably doesn't hurt that it was also the first set I ever saw them in.

Couldn't agree more. This was their most cohesive and classy looking set to date. Probably doesn't hurt that it was also the first set I ever saw them in.

I think I've said this before, but I visited a pal in SD for a week earlier this year and around town and at a game, I saw tons of people wearing the hat from this set. I saw more people wearing the current hat obviously, but still I thought it was interesting that I saw more navy and orange hats than any brown or gold hats. Small sample size obviously, but still interesting. It definitely seems like a popular hat to me.

90758391980.gif

Growing up in an American League city, I never saw the Padres until the 1990s.

So in my mind they've always been navy. But I still want them to return to the brown and gold, which is to my eye not only a superior color scheme but (if being superior isn't enough) has the added bonus of being unique in pro sports.

Yeah screw brown, let's just have the Padres look like every other team! Even if brown wad gaudy (which it isn't), MLB needs some originality in color for the love of all that's good and holy.

Why? There was a time every team was white and grey with very little variety in the supplimentary colors (and very little use of them). And this is in a sport that's largely been traditional over most of its history with the most iconic uniform sets largely still adhering to that.

That said brown may be associated in some folks of a certain age's minds with the Padres but fact is they've worn blue through more of their history now than brown and gold. They're as much a blue team as they are a brown team. And that's only if you count the MLB years. If you go back to their origins in 1936 they've not only worn blue (through an even longer stretch of their overall history) but also various times black and then red have also been their primary colors. Brown was only one of many primary colors they've worn in their history. And the presentations of it were not their best uniforms, PCL or MLB.

They will NEVER be a navy team no matter how long they wear it

Somebody grew up in the 70's/80's. What I've learned number one on these boards: majority of the time, if it's from the 60's/70's/80's, it's better than "the crap" that is out there today. Not because it actually is better (some cases it is better but it's about 50/50 let's be real), but because most people on these boards are older/middle aged men who grew up in that time period, and they grew up with that look and to them that is the best.

That and to him they may never be Navy team, but to folks who grew up in the 40's, 50's and 60's or 90's and later, they've been a navy team the majority of their existence. And yes the PCL Padres were a different franchise, but they were still the San Diego Padres and still part of the legacy the Padres still claim to this day. They celebrated their 75th anniversary back in 2011 as part of that.

Honestly I don't care if the fans have been forced into a non-identity for the last quarter century, they've done nothing with a damn in navy, it's better to take on a look for themselves now instead of just stick with their copycat identity because they've had it long enough. If the Padres switch to brown soon the Padres' navy will soon be seen the same way as the A's navy, they had that for over 60 years yet it was not missed because it wasn't their own identity compared to the green and gold.

And maybe the Padres should actually do something as a major league franchise and stop trying to leach off success a separate minor league organization had.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

I think I've said this before, but I visited a pal in SD for a week earlier this year and around town and at a game, I saw tons of people wearing the hat from this set. I saw more people wearing the current hat obviously, but still I thought it was interesting that I saw more navy and orange hats than any brown or gold hats. Small sample size obviously, but still interesting. It definitely seems like a popular hat to me.

According to the team it still is. There's no doubt there's a subset of fans who really want the brown back, but they continue to insist that the majority like the blue or some variant of it. And yes I too see a large number of the old blue caps with the orange and white SD logo. Maybe it was the darker navy, maybe it was the multi color SD, but it definitely is still popular with fans. I know some folks on here want them to go brown just for uniqueness sake but they're not the ones that have to live with it. And I think that's always been the Padres objection to changing back. Fans don't want it and the fans are the ones who buy their products, not folks on message boards, TV sports rooms or who sit at Lolitas with the small "Bring Back the Brown" campaign.

For what it's worth (which may be very little), I had a hard time as a kid differentiating between the Padres' '85-'90 set and the Giants. Granted I was in elementary school in the Midwest at the time, so California was more of an abstract idea than an actual place to me. But I have wondered if wanting to draw a bigger contrast with San Francisco (e.g. the two colors for S and D) was part of the reason they transitioned away from the brown and gold. Just a stray thought...

nl_1989_sandiego.gifnl_1990_sanfrancisco.gif

And yes the PCL Padres were a different franchise, but they were still the San Diego Padres and still part of the legacy the Padres still claim to this day. They celebrated their 75th anniversary back in 2011 as part of that.

The Washington Nationals can claim to date back to 1905. That doesn't make it true.

For what it's worth (which may be very little), I had a hard time as a kid differentiating between the Padres' '85-'90 set and the Giants. Granted I was in elementary school in the Midwest at the time, so California was more of an abstract idea than an actual place to me. But I have wondered if wanting to draw a bigger contrast with San Francisco (e.g. the two colors for S and D) was part of the reason they transitioned away from the brown and gold. Just a stray thought...

Well the 85-90 Padres were Brown and Orange, which is why you probably thought they looked a lot like the Giants. You weren't the only one. The SD at the time was very similarly colored and shaped to the Giants SD of the time so it was pretty easy to confuse the two. That said, of all the brown unis the Padres wore the '85 home was probably the best. The bigger SD and the cleaner design definitely helped. Probably also helps that it led to the best uni they've ever worn IMO which was the late 90's uniforms like they wore to the '98 series.

And yes the PCL Padres were a different franchise, but they were still the San Diego Padres and still part of the legacy the Padres still claim to this day. They celebrated their 75th anniversary back in 2011 as part of that.

The Washington Nationals can claim to date back to 1905. That doesn't make it true.

satchel-paigejpg-ef5ed96c64ca21a9.jpgThe Miami Marlins date back to the 50s as a minor league team

Didn't say they claim to date back to 1936. The current MLB organization is very clear that they are a 1969 product. That said, they do claim a continuing heritage back to the first Padres even if not the same franchise. And why shouldn't they. The 1969 Padres played in the same city and stadium as the 1968 PCL Padres, were owned by the same guy. Shared the same name. And played about the same level of baseball. The Padres have always been San Diego's team regardless of which league they were in.

As a kid I could never remember which team was San Diego, which was San Francisco, which were the Padres, which were the Giants. Too many similarities for two teams so close to each other and with similar names/initials.

The Washington Nationals don't "claim" anything. They acknowledge, and appreciate it. They wear the curly W because it's a part of DC baseball history. You're making his point.

As much as I love the brown/yellow and brown/orange (but not all three at the same time), the blue and orange was a beautiful look. My major dislike of that uniform was the white "S" on the cap. It would have looked so much better with both letters orange. It always just looked "off" to me.

All that being said, the blue/orange was still similar to the Mets and the Tigers road colors. So uniqueness is a reason to return to brown.

Can't find if this has been brought up yet, but this was found in a Lids and is a supposed 2015 Tigers alternate road cap.

DEC5C1F6-BF7E-4DC7-BB01-0C34303E2F43_zps

Could be a defect, could be legit. One of the guys in the group supposedly knows someone in the Tigers' front office that confirmed this is a new hat for 2015.

If the Tigers are going to insist on the white outlines on their road uniforms, then they need a white outline on the "D" on the cap, even if it's minimal.

Archived