MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

Concerning the San Diego Padres, I am one advocate for Brown who would totally welcome a compromise with blue. I think it could work very well, and be unique. Some combo of Navy blue, brown, light blue, sand, white is cool in my book.

For me, the brown isn't just a passing fad, or because I think it looked cool in a music video. I am 44 years old and saw them play in it. Also, we aren't talking about some short lived thing here ( such as the Denver Broncos as a brown and gold team), or that the Oakland Raiders used gold for a couple of seasons. It was a team color for 22 Major League seasons, just under half of their history. We can talk about what colors they used as a PCL team, or whether that is even relevant to them today, but I think the Navy blue pretty much covers that era. Would we really want them to go black, or red, or both? Or Red, white and blue? Do we need another one of those? How much tribute do we need to give a team from the past that played in a Minor league? Do we need to go back and base the existence of the MLB Padres on the PCL version? All valid questions, I think. IMO, the answer is no to all of them.

When it comes down to it, brown fits the team name extremely well, and let's face it, brown (and sand to a lesser extent) are the only two colors they have used that weren't well used already by somebody else. I know that the 1998 uniform is popular also, but it also looks an awful lot like the Astros and Tigers, and the Mets somewhat. Orange has become much more prominent lately in baseball. And, let's not forget being in the same division with the Giants, who have done orange since New York, and are also a much more prominent team than they were the last time the Padres wore orange. If you are a Padres fan, do you want to have one of your colors be the same as half the crowd at Petco wearing Orange and Black when the Giants come to town?

I think a compromise should be a no brainer here. Blue is a nice color, but Brown is part of the Padres, and it deserves a place at the table.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A compromise is what cause messes like the Chargers. Brown and blue don't go together at all, and bringing navy into the mix guarantees an absolute trainwreck. Looking at the possible exceptable options for San Diego:

Brown and yellow, to me, is easily the greatest option. The blend with each other so well, are unique to the Padres in pro sports, contrast well and are subtle yet pop.

Brown and orange would not be too good because the Browns kind of "own" that color scheme and in my opinion that don't mix all that well unless the brown is almost so dark it's black, it creates a reddish look to it.

Brown on it's own would be somewhat boring, but could still work and would most certainly be a classy look.

Brown and sand again would be classy and have more pop than brown alone, but it would still feel a little to subdue.

Brown, yellow and orange is quite garnish.

Every other combination I can still think of would be a disgusting mess and/or not fit the identity. Brown and light blue might not be too bad, but there's so many better options and I just want the Padres to ditch that whole color.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

A compromise is what cause messes like the Chargers. Brown and blue don't go together at all, and bringing navy into the mix guarantees an absolute trainwreck. Looking at the possible exceptable options for San Diego:

Brown and yellow, to me, is easily the greatest option. The blend with each other so well, are unique to the Padres in pro sports, contrast well and are subtle yet pop.

Brown and orange would not be too good because the Browns kind of "own" that color scheme and in my opinion that don't mix all that well unless the brown is almost so dark it's black, it creates a reddish look to it.

Brown on it's own would be somewhat boring, but could still work and would most certainly be a classy look.

Brown and sand again would be classy and have more pop than brown alone, but it would still feel a little to subdue.

Brown, yellow and orange is quite garnish.

Every other combination I can still think of would be a disgusting mess and/or not fit the identity. Brown and light blue might not be too bad, but there's so many better options and I just want the Padres to ditch that whole color.

Parsley.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I made this mock up (what seems like) not too long ago.

I don't want to see a roundel logo anymore than anybody else, but it was my attempt at seeing what powder blue and chocolate would look like.

I've always been a fan of the color scheme, so I like it. That's just me. (Depending on your monitor it may appear black, it's not. I promise. It could use some lightening up.)

pads2_zps81324e1a.png

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I made this mock up (what seems like) not too long ago.

I don't want to see a roundel logo anymore than anybody else, but it was my attempt at seeing what powder blue and chocolate would look like.

I've always been a fan of the color scheme, so I like it. That's just me. (Depending on your monitor it may appear black, it's not. I promise. It could use some lightening up.)

pads2_zps81324e1a.png

It's........ beautiful!!!!

Yep...a lot of us have discussed Brown and Light Blue (and Sand) in the past...I like the idea - here's an older uniform script using a Dark Brown, plus the previous identity's Light Blue, and Sand:

SanDiegoPadres_PropAUS0101a_SCC_SRGB.png

Yep...a lot of us have discussed Brown and Light Blue (and Sand) in the past...I like the idea - here's an older uniform script using a Dark Brown, plus the previous identity's Light Blue, and Sand:

That scheme has some legs to it. Would love to see someone run with a full branding concept. Could be a real winner.

Concerning the San Diego Padres, I am one advocate for Brown who would totally welcome a compromise with blue. I think it could work very well, and be unique. Some combo of Navy blue, brown, light blue, sand, white is cool in my book.

For me, the brown isn't just a passing fad, or because I think it looked cool in a music video. I am 44 years old and saw them play in it. Also, we aren't talking about some short lived thing here ( such as the Denver Broncos as a brown and gold team), or that the Oakland Raiders used gold for a couple of seasons. It was a team color for 22 Major League seasons, just under half of their history. We can talk about what colors they used as a PCL team, or whether that is even relevant to them today, but I think the Navy blue pretty much covers that era. Would we really want them to go black, or red, or both? Or Red, white and blue? Do we need another one of those? How much tribute do we need to give a team from the past that played in a Minor league? Do we need to go back and base the existence of the MLB Padres on the PCL version? All valid questions, I think. IMO, the answer is no to all of them.

When it comes down to it, brown fits the team name extremely well, and let's face it, brown (and sand to a lesser extent) are the only two colors they have used that weren't well used already by somebody else. I know that the 1998 uniform is popular also, but it also looks an awful lot like the Astros and Tigers, and the Mets somewhat. Orange has become much more prominent lately in baseball. And, let's not forget being in the same division with the Giants, who have done orange since New York, and are also a much more prominent team than they were the last time the Padres wore orange. If you are a Padres fan, do you want to have one of your colors be the same as half the crowd at Petco wearing Orange and Black when the Giants come to town?

I think a compromise should be a no brainer here. Blue is a nice color, but Brown is part of the Padres, and it deserves a place at the table.

Awesome username, Silver Shamrock. How many more days 'til Halloween? (That's going to fly over the heads of several people. :) )

Oh, and great post, too.

I'd suggest looking at pictures of Tufts University's baseball team. They use Brown and light blue and man does it look great. I'd post a pic, but I'm in phone.

I have a friend that's a part of the Tufts softball team (national champions in 2013), I always thought they pulled off powder blue and brown perfectly.140520_softball_inside.JPG

My vote would be for them to rename themselves as California Angels.

What's the consensus on teams that use the name of a state that has other teams in the same sport? I can't decide. For some teams it works; Texas Rangers is a good name even though the Astros play in Houston. Something strikes me as a little off, though, with the Florida Marlins title; I much prefer Miami.

My personal thing is that teams should only use the state name if they're the only one in their state. So the Twins, Mariners, Red Sox, etc, I would be fine with all of them using a state name (well, the other two joining Minnesota, anyway).

I never liked the California Angels name because they were never the sole California team, and even then, clearly never attempted to represent the entire state. They were founded as the LA Angels and that's the name they should have always kept. The Rangers are the same for me... I get the reference to the actual Texas Rangers, but the Astros already existed. And the Marlins switching from Florida to Miami, I'm okay with. It's alliterative and the Rays had already existed for over a decade by that point.

I saw the orange bill Tigers hat at Lids and it said it was Authentic On-Field.

So the picture on the previous page (with the Authentic Collection sticker) wasn't an error. Gotta believe it's a new hat for the Tigers. Thanks for essentially confirming, Phils Phan.

That's an awesome color palette.

I'd suggest looking at pictures of Tufts University's baseball team. They use Brown and light blue and man does it look great. I'd post a pic, but I'm in phone.

I have a friend that's a part of the Tufts softball team (national champions in 2013), I always thought they pulled off powder blue and brown perfectly.140520_softball_inside.JPG

Yup, but I like the slightly darker shade that the baseball team uses.

110330-5102-baseball123.jpg

SPTbatesdh03P050414.jpg

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I've posted the facts before but Brown/Yellow are still the most used color combo in the history of the MLB Padres. They aren't a navy team, they are a brown team. They should return to that.

How long did they wear brown/yellow and how long have they worn navy? Are you including the sand away unis and the military camo jerseys in the "brown/yellow" category? The Padres have worn a navy hat for 24 seasons.

Archived