MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

The maroon is fine for a throwback but I don't want to see the Phils return to it full time. They need to be red

And that's how I feel about the Padres being blue. I don't mind them using brown throwbacks and wouldn't even mind a brown alt uni to placate the brown lovers out there. But on the whole they've been blue longer than brown now. They're a blue team for a generation and a half now just including the MLB years. Hell their stadium is blue, white and sand just like their unis. Brown is a distant memory that even when they wore it they never settled down on (having switched the scheme no less than 5 times during the years they wore it) all of which were middling ('69), too Giants ('85) or downright heinous (early 70's and early 80's). Sure they were all fairly unique, but they were all uniquely bad too.

Hence they've never seriously considered going back and hence if you polled fans they'd probably agree with the ownership. Can they improve on the blue and make it more uniquely theirs, sure. They had that in the 90's given the coloring of other teams at the time with their outstanding mid 90's unis, and even recently they had gone in the right direction doing that with the sand even if things around it weren't always popular with folks around here. They inexplicably back tracked on the sand though for the most part but it doesn't mean they can't turn their blue into a unique take on it with a little work. And if history is any gauge it would still probably look better than anything they could produce that's brown. Which is why they stick with blue, a little boring is better than bad in their minds.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a mistake that they haven't worn brown in so long, fans are used to it, they go with what they've known, but in general brown would be the more appreciated choice. Here's the fact: Brown would be the Padres color, they would own that. And most people agree when used right it looks awesome, I understand you want to believe the blue looks good but honestly it really doesn't. I'm sure the fans in Kansas City were used to the navy and red, but was it not a good thing they switched it up and went with green and gold?

Also the 1969 look was undeniably awesome and their 90's was extremely meh if you look past all that nostalgia.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

It's a mistake that they haven't worn brown in so long, fans are used to it, they go with what they've known, but in general brown would be the more appreciated choice. Here's the fact: Brown would be the Padres color, they would own that. And most people agree when used right it looks awesome, I understand you want to believe the blue looks good but honestly it really doesn't. I'm sure the fans in Kansas City were used to the navy and red, but was it not a good thing they switched it up and went with green and gold?

Also the 1969 look was undeniably awesome and their 90's was extremely meh if you look past all that nostalgia.

Guess we'll just have to disagree. I find the '69's to be a very basic uniform with little in the way of design. They look like what they were, a basic thrown together set for an expansion team that played some of the worst baseball in MLB history. The only piece that really was any good was the cap which was one of the better caps they wore during the brown period along with the '85's. That said the '69's were the only brown unis that had the virtue of being neither offensively ugly like most of what came later, or far too close to a division rival like the '85's.

By comparision the '93-'04's were very classy looking uniforms. They were the only unis that included blue and orange other than the Detroit away uniforms at the time so they were a fairly unique take on blue. And while the A's made a good choice eventually going to green and yellow, it took nearly 20 years to get it right during the mid 80's when they dropped the Kelly green and brought back Athletics as the full team name. But then green just looks nicer than brown too. It's much harder to screw up green than it is brown historically. Is there a way to do brown that doesn't suck, sure. But why risk it when you've got something that undenaibly works. That's what you've got to convince the FO of in San Diego. Why risk something few people want and has historically be a fashion disaster for something that has almost always worked and can and has been done both classily and uniquely by your team before? I mean you say it was a mistake to switch from brown, I'd say it was a mistake to ever use brown. If anything I suspect the '69 MLB Padres chose brown if just to differentiate themselves from the '68 PCL Padres who'd been wearing blue in the very same stadium the MLB team was calling home. But maybe they shouldn't have been so quick to do so seeing as to date the PCL Padres are still the only team carrying the name who has won a league championship.

Maybe I'm too harsh toward the brown, but I fear a repeat of the '72-'73 uniforms or the '76-'84s more than I can see any benefits of going brown. If you can guarentee me they'd do something like the '74 unis with a brown version of the modern big SD cap in the '69 colors (not the damn taco bell cap)... then maybe I'd like to see the Pads consider it. But they've cocked it up far too many times for me to have faith.

SanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1974.jpg

By comparison the blue unis have never been bad even if the most recent ones in particular after they dropped sand haven't been all that unique or interesting.

But maybe they shouldn't have been so quick to do so seeing as to date the PCL Padres are still the only team carrying the name who has won a league championship.

The Padres have won two National League championships. You can say it's not a World Series title (true), but it's far more than a PCL title.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

But maybe they shouldn't have been so quick to do so seeing as to date the PCL Padres are still the only team carrying the name who has won a league championship.

The Padres have won two National League championships. You can say it's not a World Series title (true), but it's far more than a PCL title.

I was of course referring to the World Series (ie: winning it all). But you are correct due to MLB's dual league setup it is the one US sport where "league championship" doesn't necessarily denote the top title they can achieve in a given year. My apologies for not clarifying. Point still stands, the MLB Padres have never won a title (hell statistically they've been the worst franchise on field since 1969 in too many categories). The PCL Padres did win their title four times, albeit a lower level one. Still didn't stop them from having ticker tape parades and the like especially for the first one.

I've posted the facts before but Brown/Yellow are still the most used color combo in the history of the MLB Padres. They aren't a navy team, they are a brown team. They should return to that.

Not sure what you mean by "most used".

Brown & yellow - 1969-1979 (11 yrs)

Brown, orange & yellow - 1980-1984 (5 yrs)

Brown & orange - 1985-1990 (6 yrs)

Navy & orange - 1991-2003 (13 yrs)

Navy & sand - 2004-Present (11 yrs & counting)

Saying they should return to brown is one thing, that's a matter of personal taste, but to say "they're not a navy team, they're a brown team" is ridiculous and just false. They've worn navy now longer than they wore brown. It's statements like these that make it hard to take you seriously.

The brown/yellow combo was used for 16 years (5 of which with orange too). Longer than any other color combo. That was my original point. I got a little over zealous on the second part of my point which you correctly point out.

I'd love to see more teams with a BP cap featuring a retro logo like the Braves and Pirates had last season. A few that come to mind that wouldn't mess up the current team identity:

q115izhqg0vdhh7g6eqv.gif

jgcecy2vwgb6kkl0spnrkimhv.gif

2262.gif

As a Cards fan, I would buy slugger bird for sure. When BP caps first came out in the late 90s(?), teams/New Era were creative with the logos. I'd like to see a return to that.

I'm pretty sure I've posted this one before, but I'm surprised nobody ever considers a navy blue/yellow color scheme for the Padres:

13752673154_7c2f029b6d_o.jpg

It's got an ocean/sun look to it, isn't a scheme used in the MLB right now (even though the Brewers probably should be wearing it), and it connects the team to the Chargers (powder blue could come in as an accent, but isn't necessary). I think it'd be a nice alternative to bringing brown back, while adding more color to their look.

I wouldn't mind if they did Navy/Athletic Gold. It would be miles better than what they have now, but this organization is a tough nut to crack. In one of his early interviews since coming back to the Padres, CEO Mike Dee referred to the currents as, "the timeless look we have created here". Good lord......

I could live with the Charger color scheme, the rounded "84" style lettering (which actually dates back to 1969 on media guides, if not the uniforms), and the Friar at least wearing a brown robe on the sleeve. That way you could have at very least the mascot wearing his traditional color, even if the team is not, and sell merchandise featuring brown. Plus, it would be seen on the sleeves on a daily basis as an official team color. It would be just like in the 90's when they were blue and orange, and put the Friar on the sleeves in that weird raspberry/maroon color.

I don't hold much hope though. This org. seems to be very steadfast in their relentless pursuit of boring :)

I'm pretty sure I've posted this one before, but I'm surprised nobody ever considers a navy blue/yellow color scheme for the Padres:

13752673154_7c2f029b6d_o.jpg

It's got an ocean/sun look to it, isn't a scheme used in the MLB right now (even though the Brewers probably should be wearing it), and it connects the team to the Chargers (powder blue could come in as an accent, but isn't necessary). I think it'd be a nice alternative to bringing brown back, while adding more color to their look.

This actually might be their answer. They might as well have gone with this instead of navy/sand, and then basically just navy.

I love how this thread has been more of a debate about the Padres color scheme than actual confirmed uniform or logo changes.

Well there really aren't ahy so far, so what else is there to talk about?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I love how this thread has been more of a debate about the Padres color scheme than actual confirmed uniform or logo changes.

Well there really aren't ahy so far, so what else is there to talk about?

I guess we kinda jumped the gun when starting this thread.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

So... about those 2015 uniform updates... anybody hear anything?

Saw some banter on Twitter about the Twins introducing a new home jersey next week. No pinstripes with gold trim as well.

So there you go:

https://twitter.com/kcchia80/status/529383084995919872

This is the only place I have seen this. I tend to doubt this is true. The Twins don't tend to go to crazy and I can't see them adding gold at all. Also, he claims they are doing it next week. Don't team usually do that in Feb/March?

If it is true, I wonder whether it's a Mets situation (one pinstriped; one not)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Then I see this on my facebook feed.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2014/11/04/farewell-pinstripes-twins-dropping-classic-look/

Crap. I really, really hope it's not true. Gold on the hat? They've only ever had three colors on their hats: Red, White, Blue.

I really don't like where this is headed.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived