Uniforms you are Surprised are Still Around

OnWis97

(If people think this is too in line with some of the "teams that need new uniforms" threads, feel free to kill it. However, my first example is a team that does not need new uniforms.)

Are there any uniforms that you are surprised are still in use? Maybe the team stinks, trends have change, or they've just grown stale...

And again, it does not mean "bad". If, ten years from now, the Cavaliers are still wearing their current set, I'll be shocked...but IMHO that would be great. I love their uniforms.

For me:

• Chicago White Sox: Going back to when the made the change, I'd never have believed these would stick around. First, the White Sox changed uniforms all the time. Second, black/silver was a trendy combo. I figured they'd eventually go back to their various red/blue iterations. But it's stuck and has become the look you associate the team with.
  • Colorado Rockies: I know their look has been tweaked but the identity has been essentially unchanged for over 20 years now. I am somewhat surprised that the "CR" cap logo has not been changed and would not have been surprised to see a big overhaul out of this team.
  • Toronto Maple Leafs: Given their logo history vs. their success/failure, I am surprised they have not gone back to a pre-1968 leaf. (But glad; I love the simpler leaf).
  • Carolina Panthers: Essentially have their inaugural look...I would have expected more change by now.
  • Los Angeles Clippers: They've had the look for a while and I am not aware that it's particularly well-liked (not to mention the losing). Similarly, I am surprised the Laker ripoff logo is still around. Personally, I have liked most Clippers uniforms and hope they keep the look (though the logo has to go)

Also:

• Philadelphia Phillies: I am surprised they've kept the sleeve numbers this long (though not that the essence of the uniform persists)
  • Oklahoma City Thunder: I am surprised they did not ever create a better logo. The original logo really seems to be a placeholder established before a team name was chosen. I thought they may do an overhaul, but even in keeping the colors, I figured the logo would be updated by now.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is kind of "teams that need new uniforms" - Pittsburgh Penguins, Ottawa Senators, and Colorado Avalanche - amazed they're still rocking bad Reebok Edge templates. None of these three need drastic changes...just less 2007 trends, more 2014 trends.

Amazed the Tennessee Titans are still using a number font designed in the 1998-99 timeframe by Puma.

To wonderbread's point, I'm amazed the Pats are a) still using the same unis since 2000 and b ) still have the old cursive wordmark in 2014 on the collar after the official wordmark changed before the 2013 season.

Amazed the Bengals have stuck with the "B" for as long as they have.

Amazed the Mavericks logo still has blue and black and the jerseys are navy and light blue. Clusterf*** of colors. Also amazed that the Mavericks still have that logo set.

Amazed the Lakers haven't updated the lines in the basketball in the primary logo.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Amazed the Tennessee Titans are still using a number font designed in the 1998-99 timeframe by Puma.

I'm amazed that they're still wearing the lighter blue jerseys over the navy pants as their home uniform combination.

It found it so refreshing last season when they finally broke out white pants to go with the lighter blue. I liked their original look with the navy blue over white and their white over the navy pants on the road, and even years later when then unveiled the lighter blue jersey as their alternate. The only issue I had was the socks worn with the blue pants were all wrong. Again, another team wearing the same color as the colored pants at the very top of the socks.

The Ottawa Senators' home and away uniforms. They're bland paint-by-numbers template-fills with a logo that is a major downgrade over their old logo, and a major downgrade over their unused alternate logo. In addition, they now have two heritage jerseys that are far, far more popular among the fans, and which look significantly better by pretty much any metric. Why they haven't ditched the original red and white RBK jerseys is beyond my comprehension.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

While I'm not surprised that the Rockies' identity has basically remained the same for the past 20 years, I am surprised that these two items were still in the rotation:

carlos-gonzalez-brandon-barnes-mlb-color

pMLB2-3537361dt.jpg

While most teams phased out vests circa 2009-10, the Rockies still have them in the rotation (wearing them 32 times this season, after being out of use since 2011). The Rockies also still have the purple hat around, which hasn't been worn on field for years.

While I'm not surprised that the Rockies' identity has basically remained the same for the past 20 years, I am surprised that these two items were still in the rotation:

pMLB2-3537361dt.jpg

The Rockies also still have the purple hat around, which hasn't been worn on field for years.

It's a shame they don't wear that hat anymore. The lighting in this pic doesn't do it justice, as the purple used in real life was beautiful.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/6598802011/Minnesota_Twins/2011/Home_Uniform

The twins need to change their look. This reminds me too much of the metrodome. They had the old cursive for met stadium, and they need a new look for target field.

I was saying that the other day, the bright white Metrodome look needs to go. I'm a big fan of the throwbacks and how well they fit with the extensive limestone of Target Field, love to see something very similar adopted.

I'm a little surprised the Redskins haven't changed the jerseys. Yeah, they've won three Super Bowls in them, but it's been 22 years since the last one, and I've heard nothing but praise for these 2002 throwbacks ever since the team wore them. You'd think the Redskins would've adapted a look similar to those jerseys by now.

Another set I'm surprised is still being worn is the Nuggets' current home and away. They're nothing special, and they have the Rainbow Skyline 2.0 uniform which is a far more unique jersey to base a new look on.

Here is a fun fact.

The phillies this year has now worn their current uniforms (23 seasons) longer then their maroon swirly P uniforms (22 seasons)

Yet I STILL think of the current set as their "new" uniforms.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The move to the new park would have been a good time for the Phils to go back to maroon, even though those uniforms were only associated with the Vet. So what? It would have been one fewer plain red team.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

MattRyan.jpg

This is a big one for me. Part of it is that I never liked it right from the start. But the other thing is, I will ALWAYS think of it as Michael Vick's uniform.

And, on top of that, they have these beauties waiting in the wings...

06fc306af4de8032ffd2144a1d1ff400-getty-8

That is the best current (well, sort of current) uniform in football, any level.

Archived