LOGOLYMPIAD - EVENT 2 VOTING

pollux

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SO CLOSE! Nice work everyone. A deserved gold for sure, Jordan.

For those confused by my deer reference:

12693691056a0112793eb7e228a40120a965495f

Dang....Had I known that, you would have gotten my vote.

Without that reference, I thought it was just a so-so rendering of Rudolph.

Haha, I had a feeling that's what a lot of people were thinking. That's the risk you take when you go really local, I suppose :)

SO CLOSE! Nice work everyone. A deserved gold for sure, Jordan.

For those confused by my deer reference:

12693691056a0112793eb7e228a40120a965495f

Dang....Had I known that, you would have gotten my vote.

Without that reference, I thought it was just a so-so rendering of Rudolph.

Yeah, that MAY have influenced my voting a bit. But going in blind, I had no idea of the deer's link with Portland. I guess that's the risk you run when you use a semi-obscure reference without being able to explain it.

gYH2mW9.png

My top three, in no particular order:

Entry 10 (derschwigg): Clean and bold lines, the galaxy in the background, I really liked it all. Everything ties in together perfectly.

Entry 15 (rsaline): I really liked the simplicity of the logo. It was well balanced, and the addition of the sash was a nice touch to fill in the bottom part.

Entry 18 (dirtyspacenews): While a bit busy, the rendering was done very well, and I like the horizontal lines in the background.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Holy cow! Thanks, everyone!!

I've been abstaining from voting in events that I am entered in, but in the last two events, I've been blown away by the talent showcased. It's really promising and encouraging to see the level of creativity and execution the boards can cultivate. Kudos, everyone!

Thanks again!

And Doug, had I voted, the reference would certainly have affected my choice in your favor. My first reaction was honestly "What does a Christmassy-version of John Deere have to do with Portland?" :lol:

Seeing as I got the reference, you got my gold vote Doug. It's the perfect alternate logo, using the team's visual identity in combination with a local icon. Terrific job. Not surprised more people didn't get it though, I had no idea about the sign before visiting Portland.

Why does it matter if you don't get the reference? I just judge on how good I think the logo is.

It's like putting the Arch in something St. Louis related, or the Nebraska Cornhuskers being aptly named.

Bingo. Context is very important when judging the success of a logo -- so if I didn't know about the White Stag sign, I wouldn't have rated my logo very highly, either.

Could I get some feedback on the Red Bulls alternate I made #20. I realized it wasn't much of an alternate in hindsight, but after reading about the context of the logo, I would like to explain it. The logo consisted of the Wall Street Charging Bull, an old MetroStars shield recolored, and a red bull can pattern.

Logo_zps90d05622.png

metrostars1.gifwallstbull_zpsbad20bef.png

Thanks all.

Entry 18 (BlackBolt3): While a bit busy, the rendering was done very well, and I like the horizontal lines in the background.

Not for nothing, but entry 18 was mine! I appreciate the kind words none the less.

Oops! You're right. I looked at the final position in the table instead of the id. Entry 15 is also rsaline's entry, and not 3pointtally. I made the correction in the initial post.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Could I get some feedback on the Red Bulls alternate I made #20. I realized it wasn't much of an alternate in hindsight, but after reading about the context of the logo, I would like to explain it. The logo consisted of the Wall Street Charging Bull, an old MetroStars shield recolored, and a red bull can pattern.

Logo_zps90d05622.png

Thanks all.

Your idea isn't bad, but I think you tried to do too much with it. It's very tough trying to add life to a statue - especially a famous one like the Wall Street Bull. I think had you simply rendered your bull in red with bolder lines, you would have been more successful with it.

Logo_zps90d05622.png

Thanks all.

Your idea isn't bad, but I think you tried to do too much with it. It's very tough trying to add life to a statue - especially a famous one like the Wall Street Bull. I think had you simply rendered your bull in red with bolder lines, you would have been more successful with it.

Thank you for your feedback. I'll take that into account next time.

Archived