Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

22 hours ago, Gary. said:

I would think Tacoma, Portland, Victoria or Seattle 

People always mention Victoria as an AHL market. It almost happened with the entire Atlanta to Winnipeg things a few years ago. That is the ONLY reason why Victoria now has the WHL Royals. The WHL never wanted to give Victoria an expansion team nor did they want to relocate anyone. However once they heard the Thrashers are moving to Winnipeg and the Canucks AHL affiliate would have to be moved (their current ECHL affiliate at the time was the Victoria Salmon Kings), Victoria made for the perfect match. The WHL could not give up a lucrative major junior market like Victoria so they rushed for the approval of the sale and relocation of the Chiliwack Bruins to RG Properties and to Victoria. At that time it was clear Victoria was going to get either a WHL team or an AHL team, it was just a matter of who got their first. Personally I'm happy with the WHL in Victoria with all of the history with the league as well as setting up a potential island rival in Nanaimo who has been kicking the tires of a possible new rink and WHL team for a few years now.

14 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

Dont count out Vancouver as a viable option for Vancouver... following the likes of San Jose and Winnipeg

With the Giants moving to Langley Events Centre, it leaves the Pacific Coliseum open. There is also Abbotsford where the Heat used to play.

I just don't understand the business aspect of putting your triple-A farm team in the same arena as your flagship. You're expanding your fanbase by maybe a couple hundred. Most of your season ticket holders are probably going to be people who would rather save their money, compared to a Sharks or Jets season ticket.

San Jose, especially, baffles me. Worst case scenario, put your team somewhere else in the metro area, Oakland or San Fran. Putting your team in a nearby city will maximize the number of people you get watching. They were something like 23rd in attendance.

The Jets at least have the benefit of being a team that sells out their 15000 seats consistently. There's actually a demand for more hockey. I still think they'd be better off putting them in Saskatoon, Regina, or maybe even Fargo or Thunder Bay, but their attendance was 9th or 10th, if I remember correctly, they're at least having the arrangement work out.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I hope the plan with the Barracuda was only temporary in San Jose as they may be waiting for the new arenas in Sacramento (this fall) or San Fran (2018 I think) to open, or the Warriors Oakland arena to open up to availability.

3 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I just don't understand the business aspect of putting your triple-A farm team in the same arena as your flagship. You're expanding your fanbase by maybe a couple hundred. Most of your season ticket holders are probably going to be people who would rather save their money, compared to a Sharks or Jets season ticket.

San Jose, especially, baffles me. Worst case scenario, put your team somewhere else in the metro area, Oakland or San Fran. Putting your team in a nearby city will maximize the number of people you get watching. They were something like 23rd in attendance.

The Jets at least have the benefit of being a team that sells out their 15000 seats consistently. There's actually a demand for more hockey. I still think they'd be better off putting them in Saskatoon, Regina, or maybe even Fargo or Thunder Bay, but their attendance was 9th or 10th, if I remember correctly, they're at least having the arrangement work out.

Yeah I'm in total agreement with you especially with the San Jose situation. I figure they are waiting on one of the new arenas like Astro said and Winnipeg AHL will start to lag at some point so hopefully Thunder Bay can figure out their arena issue as that seems like a perfect fit. I'm still hoping the Canucks come knocking on Seattle's door again and puts the team in the Key since it looks like no new arena here for god knows how long for NHL.

You act as if the Sharks somehow actually care about fielding a financially successful AHL team or player development.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

7 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

I hope the plan with the Barracuda was only temporary in San Jose as they may be waiting for the new arenas in Sacramento (this fall) or San Fran (2018 I think) to open, or the Warriors Oakland arena to open up to availability.

The arena in Sacramento is not built to hold hockey so games there would be like Islander games at Barclay's.  I highly doubt the Barracuda would be coming up here.

9 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I feel like North Dakota would be a great place for a Minor league Hockey team... And with no NCAA rules, they could theoretically bring back the Fighting Sioux...:P

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Grew up in both of the Dakotas and Fargo would be a great market.  Sioux Falls as well with their new 10,000 plus arena. Both cities have USHL teams with SF getting good attendance so I could definitely see AHL knocking on their doors soon. 

12 hours ago, Totems!! said:

Yeah I'm in total agreement with you especially with the San Jose situation. I figure they are waiting on one of the new arenas like Astro said and Winnipeg AHL will start to lag at some point so hopefully Thunder Bay can figure out their arena issue as that seems like a perfect fit. I'm still hoping the Canucks come knocking on Seattle's door again and puts the team in the Key since it looks like no new arena here for god knows how long for NHL.

how would that affect the thunderbirds? 

7 hours ago, tp49 said:

The arena in Sacramento is not built to hold hockey so games there would be like Islander games at Barclay's.  I highly doubt the Barracuda would be coming up here.

Yeah, and I don't think SF will do much better than the Barracuda, even if it's at the Warriors new arena and not the cow palace. 

Also, if that were to happen, the AHL team would have a nicer, newer arena than the NHL team (not that the Tank is bad or anything). How often does that happen?

1 hour ago, TheGrimReaper said:

Yeah, and I don't think SF will do much better than the Barracuda, even if it's at the Warriors new arena and not the cow palace. 

Also, if that were to happen, the AHL team would have a nicer, newer arena than the NHL team (not that the Tank is bad or anything). How often does that happen?

Sorry SF meant Sioux Falls