Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

Nothing major, but the Missouri Mavericks are rebranding as the Kansas City Mavericks, next season.

http://www.echl.com/missouri-mavericks-become-kansas-city-mavericks-2017-18

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

The SPHL's Birmingham Bulls arena lease was recently approved.

http://www.wbrc.com/story/34550533/pelham-council-approves-ice-arena-lease-for-professional-hockey-team

I know a lot of people expected the wheels to fall off this league, awhile back, but I'm kind of impressed with their recent growth and stability.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1 hour ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Nothing major, but the Missouri Mavericks are rebranding as the Kansas City Mavericks, next season.

http://www.echl.com/missouri-mavericks-become-kansas-city-mavericks-2017-18

Hopefully with a new logo too...because this is so weak for an identity called the Mavericks.

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/93/2919/full/ksiqdletsrp0rnuc39bbeqq2k.gif

It's a Missouri mule, right? But I don't think a mule can be a maverick, because a maverick is a horse. Should have just been the Missouri Mules, then, unless that's already a college team or something.

Any news on the 31st AHL team? Maybe we can have a third iteration of the IceCaps.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

How much you wanna bet the Blues don't field an AHL team next season and just attempt to make do with their prospects scattered wherever roster slots are open in the A or the E? Either that, or they try to bunk up with another parent-owned franchise.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

What if instead of going with someone else's parent-owned team, they owned their own team, one that was near St. Louis but not too close as to cannibalize the market, like St. Charles might, and was just far enough north as to facilitate affordable travel to Milwaukee, Rosemont, Rockford, and Des Moines? That's probably the direction I'd look into taking.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

12 minutes ago, the admiral said:

What if instead of going with someone else's parent-owned team, they owned their own team, one that was near St. Louis but not too close as to cannibalize the market, like St. Charles might, and was just far enough north as to facilitate affordable travel to Milwaukee, Rosemont, Rockford, and Des Moines? That's probably the direction I'd look into taking.

Some fence-mending might be necessary, since SMG still runs the Peoria Civic Center.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Peoria is SPHL Country now, baby!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

Yeah and I'm sure $$$ talks in the right situation.

Also returning everything you took from the locker room when you pulled out last time.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On 3/14/2017 at 5:20 PM, BeerGuyJordan said:

The SPHL's Birmingham Bulls arena lease was recently approved.

http://www.wbrc.com/story/34550533/pelham-council-approves-ice-arena-lease-for-professional-hockey-team

I know a lot of people expected the wheels to fall off this league, awhile back, but I'm kind of impressed with their recent growth and stability.

This isn't a done deal yet. The preliminary deal was approved but the league needed to approve the renovations to the rink. The announcement being delayed and the search for new ownership in Columbus has led to rumors of the Bulls becoming a relocation of the Cottonmouths.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

The ECHL's Americans franchise will be changing their location moniker and is holding a contest:

http://allenamericans.com/VOTE/

My vote is for "Texas Americans"...not only are they the only ECHL team in the Lone Star State, but they would also have a lot of merchandise bought from even non-hockey fans (specifically, those Texans who are super-proud to be American-there are a LOT of them)

bYhYmxh.png

They just won the championship last season with that name. Timing seems weird to me.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

They've actually won four straight championships. The timing makes sense when you consider the new owner wants to put his stamp on the franchise. Americans fans are PISSED and letting the team know.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

30 minutes ago, Geoff said:

They've actually won four straight championships. The timing makes sense when you consider the new owner wants to put his stamp on the franchise. Americans fans are PISSED and letting the team know.

At least they're keeping the Americans name....