sohiosportsfreak

Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

TRoyConcepts    376
7 hours ago, the admiral said:

I wasn't really sweating the Aces folding because I know there's college hockey in Anchorage, but then I saw that Anchorage might lose college hockey, too. That ain't good.

It's all good

By mid-November, the board of regents determined that hockey would be spared the axe, calming the nerves of the two programs. But other teams in the state haven’t been so lucky.

Well hell. At least I got to see them play the Cyclones a couple years ago in the Kelly Cup Finals. 

Sad to see Elmira leave too. 

I agree with everyone, I think Portland ME will have an ECHL team soon. Only fitting they become the Pirates, if so.

BeerGuyJordan    840

Nothing major, but the Missouri Mavericks are rebranding as the Kansas City Mavericks, next season.

http://www.echl.com/missouri-mavericks-become-kansas-city-mavericks-2017-18

BeerGuyJordan    840

The SPHL's Birmingham Bulls arena lease was recently approved.

http://www.wbrc.com/story/34550533/pelham-council-approves-ice-arena-lease-for-professional-hockey-team

I know a lot of people expected the wheels to fall off this league, awhile back, but I'm kind of impressed with their recent growth and stability.

AstroBull21    532
1 hour ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Nothing major, but the Missouri Mavericks are rebranding as the Kansas City Mavericks, next season.

http://www.echl.com/missouri-mavericks-become-kansas-city-mavericks-2017-18

Hopefully with a new logo too...because this is so weak for an identity called the Mavericks.

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/93/2919/full/ksiqdletsrp0rnuc39bbeqq2k.gif

the admiral    9,882

It's a Missouri mule, right? But I don't think a mule can be a maverick, because a maverick is a horse. Should have just been the Missouri Mules, then, unless that's already a college team or something.

Any news on the 31st AHL team? Maybe we can have a third iteration of the IceCaps.

Sodboy13    2,480

How much you wanna bet the Blues don't field an AHL team next season and just attempt to make do with their prospects scattered wherever roster slots are open in the A or the E? Either that, or they try to bunk up with another parent-owned franchise.

the admiral    9,882

What if instead of going with someone else's parent-owned team, they owned their own team, one that was near St. Louis but not too close as to cannibalize the market, like St. Charles might, and was just far enough north as to facilitate affordable travel to Milwaukee, Rosemont, Rockford, and Des Moines? That's probably the direction I'd look into taking.

rams80    2,717
12 minutes ago, the admiral said:

What if instead of going with someone else's parent-owned team, they owned their own team, one that was near St. Louis but not too close as to cannibalize the market, like St. Charles might, and was just far enough north as to facilitate affordable travel to Milwaukee, Rosemont, Rockford, and Des Moines? That's probably the direction I'd look into taking.

Some fence-mending might be necessary, since SMG still runs the Peoria Civic Center.

Sodboy13    2,480

Peoria is SPHL Country now, baby!

rams80    2,717
1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

Yeah and I'm sure $$$ talks in the right situation.

Also returning everything you took from the locker room when you pulled out last time.

neo_prankster    176

Pretty sad to see the Aces up and leave. Especially since they and the old Gulls used to have a little bit of a rivalry in the WCHL and later the ECHL.

Magic Dynasty    407
On 3/16/2017 at 0:22 AM, the admiral said:

Am I the only one who mentally pronounces "SPHL" as "spill"?

Not only that, I also pronounce the NASL as "nass-el".

Geoff    510
On 3/14/2017 at 5:20 PM, BeerGuyJordan said:

The SPHL's Birmingham Bulls arena lease was recently approved.

http://www.wbrc.com/story/34550533/pelham-council-approves-ice-arena-lease-for-professional-hockey-team

I know a lot of people expected the wheels to fall off this league, awhile back, but I'm kind of impressed with their recent growth and stability.

This isn't a done deal yet. The preliminary deal was approved but the league needed to approve the renovations to the rink. The announcement being delayed and the search for new ownership in Columbus has led to rumors of the Bulls becoming a relocation of the Cottonmouths.

MBurmy    422

The ECHL's Americans franchise will be changing their location moniker and is holding a contest:

http://allenamericans.com/VOTE/

My vote is for "Texas Americans"...not only are they the only ECHL team in the Lone Star State, but they would also have a lot of merchandise bought from even non-hockey fans (specifically, those Texans who are super-proud to be American-there are a LOT of them)

Geoff    510

They've actually won four straight championships. The timing makes sense when you consider the new owner wants to put his stamp on the franchise. Americans fans are PISSED and letting the team know.