Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

AHL is working on adding a 31st team

http://www.mcall.com/sports/hockey/phantoms/mc-ahl-state-league-david-andrews-20170130-story.html

Andrews said there are no expansion applicants but the league is in discussion with a few different markets. He expected more news to come on that within the next four to six weeks

From what I've read on the internet, Colorado moves up, becomes affiliated with the Avs while San Antonio becomes affiliated with St.Louis.

baltimoreravens.png

Now that you mention San Antonio, I wonder if anybody's floated around the idea of renovating Freeman Coliseum, putting back the ice plant (or improving it if it's still there) and getting it to AHL specs so that the Rampage won't be as reliant on the Spurs' home dates for their own (and also that their place won't look so empty on game days despite their underrated fanbase)

bYhYmxh.png

58 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

Now that you mention San Antonio, I wonder if anybody's floated around the idea of renovating Freeman Coliseum, putting back the ice plant (or improving it if it's still there) and getting it to AHL specs so that the Rampage won't be as reliant on the Spurs' home dates for their own (and also that their place won't look so empty on game days despite their underrated fanbase)

Might be tough since I believe the Spurs own the hockey club.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, the admiral said:

Looking forward to Colorado (Denver) assigning players to Colorado (Fort Collins)

Still better than: San Jose assigns Cam Gord to San Jose

• Like 3

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

2 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Still better than: San Jose assigns Cam Gord to San Jose

Indeed. At least they're in different cities. From what I understand the Sharks and Barracuda aren't even in different hallways at the Shark Tank.

On 7/10/2017 at 10:34 AM, MBurmy said:

Since the Spurs own the Rampage (they even have a Spurs shouder patch), I think They're fine where they are.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Schedule dropped today. I presume that means the AHL stays at 30 for this season, and we all get to have a hearty laugh at the Blues shooting themselves in the dick when it comes to player development yet again.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I feel bad for St. John's, always getting jerked around like this. The Blues should have created a third IceCaps franchise, though subjecting them to a Blues affiliate ultimately bound for Kansas City would have jerked them around even more.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

I feel bad for St. John's, always getting jerked around like this. The Blues should have created a third IceCaps franchise, though subjecting them to a Blues affiliate ultimately bound for Kansas City would have jerked them around even more.

While I agree that St. John's got a bum deal, unless the Blues purchase another team and move them to KC, it's not likely they get an AHL affiliate there. The Colorado Eagles seem pretty poised to jump up, and the Avs sound like they're willing to help create the necessary in-roads to get the arena up to snuff.

The ECHL's Mavericks also just rebranded themselves as Kansas City, likely in an attempt to undermine St. Louis' ability to introduce an AHL team. The reality is that almost no ECHL team can survive with an AHL team in their market.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

14 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

While I agree that St. John's got a bum deal, unless the Blues purchase another team and move them to KC, it's not likely they get an AHL affiliate there. The Colorado Eagles seem pretty poised to jump up, and the Avs sound like they're willing to help create the necessary in-roads to get the arena up to snuff.

The ECHL's Mavericks also just rebranded themselves as Kansas City, likely in an attempt to undermine St. Louis' ability to introduce an AHL team. The reality is that almost no ECHL team can survive with an AHL team in their market.

And what's worse is that the USHL wants to start a team in Kansas City at a new arena that's to be built.

Based on info from the guy I know, who works for the AHL, in Springfield:

"No, the Blues weren't talking to the ECHL Mavericks. We initially thought that, too. When we learned who their leading candidate was, let's just say the office had a good laugh."

On a side note, it's amazing how many people are willing to talk to you, when you can ship them a case of Spotted Cow.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/18/colorado-eagles-colorado-avalanche-primary-ahl-affiliate/

The Avalanche will announce an upgraded minor-league partnership with the Loveland-based Colorado Eagles next month, with the current ECHL team becoming the 31st American Hockey League franchise, according to two sources close to the situation.

Beginning with the 2018-19 season, the Avs’ top prospects and veterans on assignments will play for the Colorado Eagles out of the Budweiser Events Center in Loveland. The Budweiser Events Center seats 5,289 for hockey but likely will be renovated to accommodate larger crowds.

baltimoreravens.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hardly a surprise, but Colorado will officially be the AHL's 31st franchise, beginning next season.

received_10214530829694850.png