Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

I'm curious about how Colorado will affect alignment. The way I see it there are 2 options.

1. Put them in the Pacific. Push the Stars and Rampage to Central and then Cleveland to the east.

2. Pop them in Central and call it a day.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I read earlier this week from our esteemed leader they're just going to plop the Eagles in the Pacific and make it a 9-team division with some teams playing fewer games than others, because :censored: you, that's why.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

16 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

I read earlier this week from our esteemed leader they're just going to plop the Eagles in the Pacific and make it a 9-team division with some teams playing fewer games than others, because :censored: you, that's why.

So basically just add Colorado to the Pacific, then? The Stars and Rampage already play more games than the other 6 in the division.

I hate having to pull up the calculator on my phone, just to figure out the standings in my team's division.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I've never been quite sure about the ECHL. It has no use as a prospect incubator (anyone worth a damn is stocked in the American, major-junior, college, or Europe) but never quite got to the blood-and-gore depths of the U-Haul or the LNAH. I suppose, if anything, it's found its calling as the inheritor of the legacy AHL towns, but even that's kind of a dodgy half-measure.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I guess its main use in the system is to give your 4th goalie regular starts.

• Like 1

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On 10/14/2017 at 12:03 PM, the admiral said:

I've never been quite sure about the ECHL. It has no use as a prospect incubator (anyone worth a damn is stocked in the American, major-junior, college, or Europe) but never quite got to the blood-and-gore depths of the U-Haul or the LNAH. I suppose, if anything, it's found its calling as the inheritor of the legacy AHL towns, but even that's kind of a dodgy half-measure.

Like @Sodboy13 said, its only real usefulness to the NHL is for goalies. Aside from that, it's primarily just a development program for AHL level contracts.

Put on the Wolves game because I was bored and there's like no one at the Horizon on a Saturday night, unless they're all on the camera side (which I won't rule out). What a bummer. Maybe Rosemont's already usurious parking fees finally crossed the line.

• Like 1

Oh, jeez. It looks like a February Tuesday in there. That's stunning.

• 4 months later...
22 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Also it looks like St. John's maybe close to joining the ECHL next season.

Yup..... just announced :) 

https://www.echl.com/board-governors-approves-changes-2018-19-season

Word is that the Leafs will shift from Orlando to St. John's as their ECHL affiliate. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

1 hour ago, mr.negative15 said:

Yup..... just announced :) 

https://www.echl.com/board-governors-approves-changes-2018-19-season

Word is that the Leafs will shift from Orlando to St. John's as their ECHL affiliate. 

I'd like that...would be nice to have a Lightning affiliate in Orlando since TB doesnt have an affiliate this season.

9 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

I'd like that...would be nice to have a Lightning affiliate in Orlando since TB doesnt have an affiliate this season.

That'd be a pretty logical move.

For that matter, it might even make more sense for Orlando to go to the AHL and Syracuse move to the ECHL making Tampa's call ups a little easier. (Thinking geographically only here)

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

ECHL Expands to Newfoundland, Mallards Drop Out

March 14, 2018 - 19:10 PM

The ECHL announced earlier this week that there would be some franchise shuffling for the 2018-19 season. Expansion was announced to St. John’s, the capital city of the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador, the club will be affiliated with […]

Read More...

That sucks about the Mallards. Pancreatic cancer is a pitiless bitch.

Not that this makes it more possible, but I'd like to see the Quad Cities back in the AHL. They'd fit in on the circuit very well with Des Moines, Rockford, Milwaukee, and Rosemont. 

That is a real shame about the Mallards. They're one of those minor league identities that is bigger than any one franchise and is really synonymous with their community. While there was a lot wrong with how the AHL team was run, the decision to go with Flames over Mallards was very emblematic of just how out of touch that group was. Sadly,the AHL seems to be moving more in a G-League direction with teams being owned by NHL clubs and closer(ish) to their parent organizations. This is what ultimately did in the Ice Caps, who are just the most recent team to succumb to the trend (see Worcester, Manchester, Norfolk, and Portland). 

Meanwhile the ECHL, especially in the west, has seen a major loss of markets due to the AHL restructuring as well. The Colorado Eagles will be displaced by Colorado's AHL franchise (although I believe the move is being presented as a "promotion" with the Eagles organization continuing to play a major role with the new AHL team), and there have been serious rumblings about Kansas City (currently home to the Missouri Mavericks) becoming the new home of a St. Louis affiliated AHL team. With an NHL team in Seattle all but guaranteed, I can easily see Utah or Idaho being targeted for an AHL affiliate as well. Ironically, with the AHL and ECHL effectively trading markets, the ECHL could go back to calling itself the East Coast Hockey League.

17 minutes ago, Thaumatrope said:

there have been serious rumblings about Kansas City (currently home to the Missouri Mavericks) becoming the new home of a St. Louis affiliated AHL team.

Those rumblings were from last season. The Mavericks owners did change the name of the team to the Kansas City Mavericks but is committed to their home in nearby Independence. The Chicago Wolves primary affiliate this year was Vegas while St Louis (previously with Chicago) still supplied players to the Wolves. St Louis signed a five year deal with the San Antonio Rampage (owned by the Spurs) beginning in 2018-19 with no intention for relocating to Kansas City.

The ECHL I can see in a few years going back to its old footprint of east coast and midwest teams. The league has been recently moving into former AHL markets in the east (Adirondack, Maine, Manchester, Norfolk, St. John's and Worcester).

Signature intentionally left blank