Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

That's my hope, too. 8 in the WCHL, 10-12 in the IHL, and 12-14 in the AHL.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I mean, if the AHL west is going to essentially act as its own league, why not... you know... just have two leagues.

Personally, I'd go with three leagues, bring back the IHL, and have a CHL-style tournament to determine the overall champion.

Probably because long term it's not going to act as its own league. And because there's a ton of cache that comes from being the AHL that a startup IHL wouldn't have. Part of how this was being sold at least by the Gulls, is that this version of them is joining the most stable of all the minor leagues in the AHL.

I think three individual leagues going CHL style would make sense. You basically have three groups already. West, Midwest, and Northeast

Why not simply keep them all under the AHL umbrella and have 3 geographic divisions that don't meet until the playoffs. Dividing the league up artificially doesn't seem to do anything but weaken the overall brand.

3 leagues are unnecessary. Just put the Eastern Conference affiliates in the AHL, and West in the IHL. Simple as that.

That's what I mean. Why bring back the now long dead IHL? The AHL has a longer history and more stability. Just split the AHL into east and west. Problem solved. It brings more cachet for the teams to be part of the "American League" than it does to be dumped in an artificial recreation of a failed league.

Cinci gets AAA level attendance... kinda. They're averaging 4,330 this season. I could see that number falling with a bump to AHL prices. There are 10 teams in the A that are currently averaging less than the Cyclones. One of those (Utica) is averaging 3,707 in a barn that only holds 4,000 while three (Worcester, Adirondack, and Oklahoma City) won't even be in the A next year.

But can the ownership handle it? That's the more important question. Is there ownership out there willing to field a AAA team in Cincinnati? C

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

A Columbus or St. Louis affiliation and the promise of better talent may help bring in some bigger crowds. I wouldn't mind Cincinnati at the AHL level one bit.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

A Columbus or St. Louis affiliation and the promise of better talent may help bring in some bigger crowds. I wouldn't mind Cincinnati at the AHL level one bit.

In a perfect world, I want Cleveland affiliated with Columbus, Kansas City with St. Louis, and Cinncinati with Nashville. Just my two cents.

That's what- She

Cinci gets AAA level attendance... kinda. They're averaging 4,330 this season. I could see that number falling with a bump to AHL prices. There are 10 teams in the A that are currently averaging less than the Cyclones. One of those (Utica) is averaging 3,707 in a barn that only holds 4,000 while three (Worcester, Adirondack, and Oklahoma City) won't even be in the A next year.

But can the ownership handle it? That's the more important question. Is there ownership out there willing to field a AAA team in Cincinnati? C

The current Cyclones owners could handle it. They go out of their way to promote the team. There was rumors going around Cincy when Winnipeg reclaimed the Jets (that they were interested in trying to move up). U.S. Bank Arena could definitely handle the AHL. Heck, the Gardens did for years with the Mighty Ducks (and that place still looks like it's in the 40's).

Flawed logic. I don't enough about the ownership to say you're wrong but I can tell you just because the ownership "goes out of their way to promote the team," doesn't mean that it would be feasible to go AHL. The SPHL team I used to work for has a great owner who is very involved in the community, understands the value of advertising, and puts a good amount of money into it. That said, there's no way he could afford a move up to the ECHL.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Late night rumblings out of Winnipeg about the possible return of the Moose as the Jets' AHL affiliate.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/ahl/Manitoba-Moose-20-in-the-works-295455711.html?device=mobile

One interesting thing of note...

The extension had been given, in part, to afford the group headed by former N.L premier Danny Williams some extra time to find another NHL affiliation agreement to take the place of the Jets-IceCaps deal.

It appears that has happened. The St. John’s group is believed to have struck an arrangement with the NHL’s Montreal Canadiens, who currently operate their AHL affiliate in Hamilton, Ont.

Am happy to know the AHL will be back in Winnipeg for a while.. we could see the return of the Manitoba Moose!!! And Cosmic, no I think Hamilton is eyeballing an OHL team to move.. not a NHL team... heard the OHL team on the move might be the Erie Otters but cant be sure...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Is it true Laval has a new building eventually for the Jr. Habs? I know the Leafs, esp during cap era, pulled out of St. John's because of travel.

As for Winnipeg, is it really a great idea to have 2 pro hockey teams in that one city?? They should look west to Brandon/Saskatoon/Regina yes? East to Thunder Bay perhaps?

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

If the Moose come back, I'd love to see them use the Jets template, with double green replacing the blues and copper in place of the silver.

Wasn't there a story at the time of the Thrashers move that ownership had NHL Moose jersey prototypes ready to go? I wonder if anyone got to see those outside of the True North inner circle.

If the Moose come back, they should go with what worked best last time: more or less recolor the Blues' template and become the best-looking team in the league.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.