2014 NFL Season Anti-Thread

The_Admiral

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like the idea of turning a 16 year old's tragic death into an agenda point, but at the same time, I think it's better than simply dismissing it as a "freak accident" and moving on.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/tom-cutinella-shoreham-wading-river-hs-football-player-mourned-day-after-sustaining-fatal-injury-1.9457725?firstfree=yes

Football is an extremely dangerous sport. At what point do we stop pretending these deaths are flukes? We get a few of these a year. I understand percentage-wise that's a fluke, but are we really okay with this? And further, it's not just the players dying. Every single player is suffering some form of brain injury, some that will impact them throughout life.

How can institutions OF LEARNING justify pouring so much money into something that damages their students brains?

Hmm... when you say you sent $70,000 to a charity and that charity says they never got any money... seems like the IRS or some other relevant government agency would be interested in that.

I understand this isn't really news. More of a reminder.

In the NFL's case, too, there are some clauses written in fine print. Their website claims that, at retail, 100 percent of the NFL's proceeds from Pink October product sales go to the ACS (American Cancer Society). But that does not mean if you buy a $100 shoe from NFLShop.com, ACS gets $100. If you're buying any pink products from the official shop, the wholesaler, distributor, and retailer give 0 percent of their shares to ACS. The only portion that goes to the society is the NFL's royalty percentage from wholesale sales, which has little to do with whether you buy a $80 hoodie or a $30 cap. Unlike some companies that spell out on the tag exactly what percentage of your purchase goes to charity, you have no way of knowing with NFL branded merchandise.

In fact, the NFL's claim of 100 percent proceeds from auction and 100 percent proceeds from retail has translated to an average of just $1.1 million every year since they partnered with ACS six years ago. That's less than .01 percent of the approximately $10 billion the league made in revenue last year. And almost five times less than what ACS' other partners, such as Walgreens, manage to donate to the same program—a program that, again, gives zero dollars to cancer research.

https://sports.vice.com/article/the-nfls-pink-october-does-not-raise-money-for-cancer-research

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

He was already a moron. Now he's experimenting with something further. Good on him.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I don't like the idea of turning a 16 year old's tragic death into an agenda point, but at the same time, I think it's better than simply dismissing it as a "freak accident" and moving on.

Sports these days, just like general society, use tragedies to boost their agenda. The most recent, blatant use of tragedy for a sports agenda, for example, was the whole, bats#it of Glendale, Arizona people using the Yarnell Fire disaster as an excuse to save the Coyotes from the inevitable relocation to Quebec City Seattle.

Actually I spent my Sunday on the Jim Irsay "Tour of Homes".

On March 2, Kim was found alone dead of a drug overdose at the age of 42, in the condo Jim had bought for her. It had been a year since their romance had dissolved, since Jim had found another woman and had Kim moved out of the home they shared. At her viewing, Kim's friends sat wondering whether Jim would show up, but the blue orchids were the only sign of him.

Nine days after the funeral, on March 16, a police officer pulled Irsay over near the home he'd bought for his new girlfriend and found a laundry bag full of pills in the front seat of his SUV. After he was arrested and charged with four felony drug counts, a mug shot revealed a gaunt prisoner having trouble keeping his eyes open.

In reporting on his arrest, local media tied Irsay to Wundrum in only the most perfunctory way, noting that she lived in residences he'd bought through a trust but portraying her as little more than a friend. He never challenged that narrative, much less described the effect her death had on him.

But an in-depth look at their life together reveals the story that was completely overshadowed by the mug shot that went viral.

• 2 weeks later...

Bill Simmons' return reminded me that for a moment there, it was looking pretty grim for Roger Goddell. All of the NFL broadcasts were questioning his judgment, he had that disastrous press conference, and the general public sentiment was that he needed to go.

Then Bill Simmons called him what he is -- a f'ing liar -- and all of the heat went on him and ESPN, and here we are.

If you read his week 8 picks, Simmons is picking it right back up. That's good, because it doesn't seem like anyone else with a national voice cares anymore.

BS: Nah … people are tired of the Ray Rice story. He punched his fiancée out in an elevator and we were all horrified by the video. Nobody wants to watch him play football, so we don’t really care that the NFL may have violated his rights (and the collective bargaining agreement) by suspending him twice for the same offense. We don’t care that the Ravens knew about the second video — according to multiple reports — and never explained why they handled it the way they did. We don’t care that Roger Goodell re-suspended Rice because of “new evidence” from the second elevator video, even though Rice told Goodell on June 16 exactly what happened in that elevator and had multiple witnesses in the room with them (including an NFLPA attorney taking copious notes). We don’t care that Goodell later claimed that Rice’s June 16 account was “ambiguous” and that the video showed a “starkly different sequence of events,” even though Don Van Natta Jr. and Kevin Van Valkenburg reported on September 19 that “with his wife sitting by his side in a conference room, Rice told Goodell that he hit her and knocked her out, according to four sources.” (FOUR!) We don’t care that the NFL claims it never saw the second video, even though Rice and his team went into that June 16 meeting believing that the NFL had seen it — which is why he told the truth — and even though we know a law enforcement official mailed that video to the NFL’s director of security. We don’t care that the NFL diligently tried to keep Goodell from testifying about this under oath … and failed.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Bill Simmons' return reminded me that for a moment there, it was looking pretty grim for Roger Goddell. All of the NFL broadcasts were questioning his judgment, he had that disastrous press conference, and the general public sentiment was that he needed to go.

Then Bill Simmons called him what he is -- a f'ing liar -- and all of the heat went on him and ESPN, and here we are.

If you read his week 8 picks, Simmons is picking it right back up. That's good, because it doesn't seem like anyone else with a national voice cares anymore.

BS: Nah … people are tired of the Ray Rice story. He punched his fiancée out in an elevator and we were all horrified by the video. Nobody wants to watch him play football, so we don’t really care that the NFL may have violated his rights (and the collective bargaining agreement) by suspending him twice for the same offense. We don’t care that the Ravens knew about the second video — according to multiple reports — and never explained why they handled it the way they did. We don’t care that Roger Goodell re-suspended Rice because of “new evidence” from the second elevator video, even though Rice told Goodell on June 16 exactly what happened in that elevator and had multiple witnesses in the room with them (including an NFLPA attorney taking copious notes). We don’t care that Goodell later claimed that Rice’s June 16 account was “ambiguous” and that the video showed a “starkly different sequence of events,” even though Don Van Natta Jr. and Kevin Van Valkenburg reported on September 19 that “with his wife sitting by his side in a conference room, Rice told Goodell that he hit her and knocked her out, according to four sources.” (FOUR!) We don’t care that the NFL claims it never saw the second video, even though Rice and his team went into that June 16 meeting believing that the NFL had seen it — which is why he told the truth — and even though we know a law enforcement official mailed that video to the NFL’s director of security. We don’t care that the NFL diligently tried to keep Goodell from testifying about this under oath … and failed.

So even Keith Olbermann has gone silent on the Goodell, the NFL, and Rice? I guess he was who I thought he was.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I'm glad Simmons is keeping at it. Everyone else will pick back up again when the NFL actually has to do something with these players that are on the Commissioner's list. They didn't get past their problems... they just swept them under the rug. I have a feeling that everyone will be mad at the NFL again when it turns out that they can't do what they did to Ray Rice.

Archived