Opinions on Miami Marlins unis 2011- to present

Angels

I'm know that I'm definitely in the minority here, but I would love to see MLB institute a rule where alternate jerseys can only be worn a specific number of games per year. Make exceptions for the odd throwbacks that teams sometimes wear. It's so boring to see teams like Milwaukee and Miami, and San Diego before them, wear the same jersey every day regardless of whether they're playing at home or on the road. How many times did we get to see San Diego in their old sand/khaki jerseys? Some teams don't need 3 sets of uniforms when they only wear one. Half of the time it looks like men's league softball out there.

But anyway, to the topic. I hated the Marlins look when they unveiled them, but I admit that I do love the grey road set. Like so many of you have mentioned, they never wear them, and it's a shame. The numbers are...another story.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty easy: third jersey would be limited to 54 games, or one-third of the schedule. A fourth jersey, perish the thought, would limit the third and fourth to 40 games each.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think alternates should be worn a maximum of once per series. Home teams should get to make a decision on when to wear theirs, and the road team should be forced to wear grays if the home team is wearing alternates that game. Even with that, we'd only be guaranteed to get a white vs. gray matchup once per series.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'm sure this is a highly unpopular opinion, but I would be fine with the Marlins not having a gray jersey at all. If they want to be the modern, trendy, established in the 90's, fun, vibrant team they claim to be, why even have a gray jersey? I say buck tradition and go with something that is unique to their identity.

Orange Cap = Great

Everything Else = Crap

Inconsistent scripts. Unbalanced wordmarks. Horrid number fonts. Terrible colour placement/distribution. These belong in AA T-Ball.

^That was my first post after the unveiling in the Marlins thread. Save for the last comment (I think they'd fit in pretty well in AA), I agree with everything I wrote then.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Hating on the number font ? They are different then others, i admit that, but had they been like all other teams: basic 2 or 3 layer and perhaps a drop shadow, it would be boring.

-

I love the classic baseball look, like the old Marlins , but now I think it´s okay for one MLB team to be different.

Hating on the number font ? They are different then others, i admit that, but had they been like all other teams: basic 2 or 3 layer and perhaps a drop shadow, it would be boring.

-

I love the classic baseball look, like the old Marlins , but now I think it´s okay for one MLB team to be different.

That's the thing though - the old (original) Marlins look was different.

I'm sure this is a highly unpopular opinion, but I would be fine with the Marlins not having a gray jersey at all. If they want to be the modern, trendy, established in the 90's, fun, vibrant team they claim to be, why even have a gray jersey? I say buck tradition and go with something that is unique to their identity.

I wouldn't mind Miami doing this either. As long as they have grey pants. If they were smart which we know they're not, they should have even more alternates. Have green, blue, orange, yellow and take out black and you have a winner. And it would fit Miami as trendy, colorful, and not fitting into baseball norms.

TaxSlayer Bowl_sig.png

I dunno Bubba, pinstripes and script across the front seems pretty classic baseball style to me.

It's true that they were nothing revolutionary, but they still stood out in a unique, modern way thanks to the heavy use of teal/aqua. Plus, the current look uses rather standard scripts as well.

I dunno Bubba, pinstripes and script across the front seems pretty classic baseball style to me.

It's true that they were nothing revolutionary, but they still stood out in a unique, modern way thanks to the heavy use of teal/aqua. Plus, the current look uses rather standard scripts as well.

Umm, why do people forget the set from 2003-2011 had almost no teal?

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Umm, why do people forget the set from 2003-2011 had almost no teal?

I don't. As I stated in my original post, I was referring to their inaugural set.

I don't mind having some kind of novel numbers, but the ones they have now don't make any sense in the big picture. They should be in Avant Garde or Futura to match the monogram and scripts. Some weird slab-serif with vertical drop-shadows doesn't fit.

I don't think teal and black would improve this set. It's supposed to be about embracing color.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Agreed on the numbers - a custom font isn't automatically a problem, but that clunky one clashes with the rest of the design.

I do think that replacing orange with light blue would vault this set much higher on the list.

pMLB2-12941856dt.jpg

BwIkU32CUAAnme4.jpg

You can keep the rest of the colors, just make blue dominant.

Archived