Major League Soccer unveils new logo

Gothamite

Given the color schemes and such for each team, I thought Chivas USA was getting rebranded. Why waste the time to show a logo color scheme that could potentially not be there in the next season?

Why not? Better than one blank entry. Until the team is sold, rebranded or folded, they'll need a logo too.

That and it takes like 2-3 minutes to swap colors and make a Chivas variation. It's not exactly a grand undertaking.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Club, community, and country".

"Balderdash, Bull :censored:, and Bollocks"

Somebody made millions of dollars to think this up. This league really does have too much money.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

"Club, community, and country".

"Balderdash, Bull :censored:, and Bollocks"

Somebody made millions of dollars to think this up. This league really does have too much money.

Actually, no. The slogan was coined by Timbers fans/Outlaws at a US match in Portland. It's a little goofy, but doesn't bother me for that reason.

Well...

I don't hate it. The extended slash doesn't bother me as much as it could, because of the shield shape. The open space could end up being like a window, kinda of like the first applications of the block Nationwide Insurance logo. The type isn't too overpowering, and the stars, marketing BS aside, adds a bit of flair. I really like how it looks on the LA jersey, though.

Kinda off topic, but I never realized how many variations of the ball and cleat there was.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

I don't hate it. The extended slash doesn't bother me as much as it could, because of the shield shape. The open space could end up being like a window, kinda of like the first applications of the block Nationwide Insurance logo. The type isn't too overpowering, and the stars, marketing BS aside, adds a bit of flair. I really like how it looks on the LA jersey, though.

I do, too.

Presuming that this Photoshop is accurate, the patch will have a pattern on it.

adidas_LA_Crest_horizontal.jpg

That gives the color block some needed texture; a huge improvement. Much more interesting than the flat versions.

The photoshop mockups of the sleeve patches indicate that they'll have some texture to them, which I like much better than the flat color blocks:

adidas_LA_Crest_horizontal.jpg

I also think that the versions with a white panel are the least interesting ones; it's so much more successful when they can fill both with team colors.

9OO8MYY.jpg

I also would have swapped the red and white on the Red Bulls' version, so that it would never be confused for the league's logo.

Well it's a simple shield as I anticipated, which I like. I would also remove the slash from extending beyond the shield, but beyond that it is quite nice design-wise.

But as a Canadian MLS fan, I can't say I'm overly excited by the MLS version being red, white and blue, the use of stars, or the fact that said stars represent a term coined at a USMNT match. I get that we'll always be playing second fiddle in this league, but this just seems a bit blatant.

A few major problems with this, IMO

-- The trend in MLS logos, as well as soccer crests, is to have a shield like this. It's too close to the USMNT logo, as well as similar to many of the logos in the league, so when re-colored it's almost confusing.

-- Maybe I'm ignorant for now understanding the three stars, but when combined with the corporate red and blue it looks like something specifically made for a team based out of Tennessee

-- The base design has WAY too much negative white space

-- The extension of the line coming out of the logo doesn't make any sense. If it's supposed to be a sword and shield type deal okay, maybe I get it...

-- The gradients in the base logo are TERRIBLE. They are useless and distracting, and as we've seen, many teams with gradient logos have to include a non-gradient version that ends up being used more anyway.

Overall, the league needed a rebrand...actually, pretty badly...so why did they only spend 10 minutes in Illustrator, throwing some shapes together, and call it a day?

But as a Canadian MLS fan, I can't say I'm overly excited by the MLS version being red, white and blue, the use of stars, or the fact that said stars represent a term coined at a USMNT match. I get that we'll always be playing second fiddle in this league, but this just seems a bit blatant.

Well, one way of looking at it... Canada has two of those same three colors. And there's really not as much blue.

Just sayin'.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

I like it quite a bit. It's bold but simple, and looks like it could have been introduced 50 years ago and still look more or less the same today (thought I bet a 1960s designer would have kept the slash inside the shield).

One thing I especially like is how the league logo is red, white, and blue, but colored in a way that looks equally representative of the US and Canadian flags. That's pretty thoughtful design.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived