Major League Soccer unveils new logo

Gothamite

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's different, unexpected, but I can live with it. What bugs me is that some team version logos have outline and some don't. Be consistent. Some teams don't have all colours represented in the new MLS logo. NYC could have orange outline, Union light blue outline. Some outline colours are repeat of one colour from the shield...

Whi Chicago has red outline while Revs and Dallas don't. All have same colour scheme...

It's too flat and simple. I'm all for simplification and minimalism but come on... all the life is drained from it. It's just one element short of being good. I'm not asking for much, but yeah. Nah.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

This probably sounds strange...I love the application of the logo, but I don't care for the logo itself. The team-specific recolorings of the logo look amazing, as do the Reddit versions. But it almost seems as if the logo was designed for that purpose only - not to stand out, but to blend in. That's the problem I have with it, it seems to lack the ability to stand on its own, the worst version of it is the primary version. I wish they could've found a way to do something like the NBA's logo, which has the potential for different applications, but is also a strong logo in its own right.

I wasn't a fan of the previous logo (a product of the 90's that looked better suited for a youth league), but I hesitate to call this one an upgrade. At least with the old logo, I knew exactly what it was when I saw it. With this, I might mistake it for something else when it's not customized to a team.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

i've been waiting for Brand New to post about it (which they did this morning: LINK ) so i could see more and know a little more about the concepts to make any comments. i really dont have much to say. i love the flexibility approach, but not so much how its actually going to be used. there were 2 agencies that worked on this, though im not sure who did what. maybe one did the logo the other the brand extensions. but one of them has a very good salesman.

Prestige Worldwide. . .check! check! . . check!

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Shouldn't the logo (at least the 'main' one) seem a little more American?

Edited below:

35natxz.jpg

Hell no!

How about ditching the red stripes and replacing them with two wide red stripes and a maple leaf?

An American half and a Canadian half!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think all these mockups are proving what MLS intended which is that white area is supposed to be open for a lot of graphics and customization. I think in TV and web we will see a lot of uses for that white space. I think the DC comics logo does something similar. http://io9.com/5877727/behold-the-new-dc-comics-logo

Yep, like this:

mls_logo_on_photos.jpg

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

I rather like it for that reason. Good to see a sports league really take chances with its logo, rather than go with tried and true (read: safe) representations of its game.

It's a ballsy move to leave the main identity open to customization and experimentation. I couldn't imagine the NFL doing something like that with their almighty shield.

I rather like it for that reason. Good to see a sports league really take chances with its logo, rather than go with tried and true (read: safe) representations of its game.

It's a ballsy move to leave the main identity open to customization and experimentation. I couldn't imagine the NFL doing something like that with their almighty shield.

It certainly makes the "in and out of the MLS" statement make a little more sense in it's application.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Hmm. The white space bothers me as well, but when it's another color I rather like the balance of the shield.

NewMLSlogo_team%2Bversions.jpg

This image came to mind when I read that prosoccertalk/reddit post. They sort of set it up this way already if these are intended to be team avatars. The team logos overlap without disrupting anything in the MLS.*

They aren't inside, but used in a similar way.

*provided that "travel in and out of the MLS world" can still be done with a logo obstruction.

I don't quite get why the MLS logo is so varied here. For instance, the Quakes version looks correct to my eye but the Sounders seems like it would be better with the black outline added. Weird and inconsistent.

Hmm. The white space bothers me as well, but when it's another color I rather like the balance of the shield.

NewMLSlogo_team%2Bversions.jpg

This image came to mind when I read that prosoccertalk/reddit post. They sort of set it up this way already if these are intended to be team avatars. The team logos overlap without disrupting anything in the MLS.*

They aren't inside, but used in a similar way.

*provided that "travel in and out of the MLS world" can still be done with a logo obstruction.

I don't quite get why the MLS logo is so varied here. For instance, the Quakes version looks correct to my eye but the Sounders seems like it would be better with the black outline added. Weird and inconsistent.

I think it's simply that some of the outlines are the same color as the background. With a different color background, you'll see a green outline on the Seattle logo.

Archived