Major League Soccer unveils new logo

Gothamite

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted this in the mega thread, but it deserves its own conversation. It might be time to say goodbye to the boot and ball.

d9w2gufhalde8s8pindwwe81g.gif

Next month, MLS will reportedly unveil a new logo for 2015 (just in time for the NYCFC shirts to be unveiled).

https://twitter.com/brianstraus/status/502538093149159424

There's an image floating around the web, don't know if this is legit or not:

image_zpsce32a669.jpg

I won't miss the old one, but I do hope they keep the color scheme in any case. We don't need another RWB logo in this country.

I actually like the current logo, I wouldn't mind a change, but that t-shirt logo sucks.

I've never been a fan of the MLS logo. It's probably not the worst league logo around but seems very dated. Would love to see something a little less "clip art-like". We'll see. Maybe something with a hint of stars and stripes to signify USA? Other leagues logos:

7514.JPG

It would be cool if it incorporated both the US and Canada.

Hopefully the new MLS logo it's not that t-shirt version.

Would be a huge downgrade. It has that weird see-trough ball with the colors in the background and the main focus the MLS Cup trophy instead of soccer/football theme.

Don't really mind the current MLS logo, even if it's overdone with the ball shades and other stuff there.

They improved over the years with the outline and by doing away with Major League Soccer + MLS and just using MLS. Barring a renaming too, they should stick with just MLS.

The admiral's mock up is a nice improvement of the current one.

I'd like if they include a nod to US/Canada somehow (just colors or elements like stars/stripes, maple leaf etc.)

Interestingly MLS since more or less 12/18 months I guess mostly uses monochrome logos.

Probably in relation to the new Logo which was once rumored a year or so ago and not just a design fad.

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/2014-club-logos#overlay-context=content/2014-club-media-guides

I realise that DC United uses the Eagle but i'd love to see something along the EPL lion for the MLS. Maybe a wing or perhaps the talons grabbing the ball?

Yes, but as others were saying it wouldn't represent both the U.S. and Canada, which I think would be important. This would also exclude using red, white, and blue.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

I realise that DC United uses the Eagle but i'd love to see something along the EPL lion for the MLS. Maybe a wing or perhaps the talons grabbing the ball?

Yes, but as others were saying it wouldn't represent both the U.S. and Canada, which I think would be important. This would also exclude using red, white, and blue.

Doesn't stop the Premier League from using a lion which is more English than anything.

Also, if 90% of your league is in one country, using those country's colors are fine.

Edit: I'm not saying it should be red, white, and blue. Overused, for sure. But Canada being in the league is not a reason to exclude those colors.

Doesn't stop the Premier League from using a lion which is more English than anything.

Also, if 90% of your league is in one country, using those country's colors are fine.

Edit: I'm not saying it should be red, white, and blue. Overused, for sure. But Canada being in the league is not a reason to exclude those colors.

Feel it's a little different since it's called the British Premier League which encompasses both England and Wales, as well as Scotland no? Plus with promotion and relegation you can have all English clubs in the BPL in any given season. Which it was until Swansea was promoted. Isn't there only something like 3 Welsh teams in the FA anyway?

EDIT: Sorry forgot about Cardiff City.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Feel it's a little different since it's called the British Premier League which encompasses both England and Wales, as well as Scotland no?

No.

It's the Premier League. Full stop. When you see a "B" included that's somebody contractually obligated to include the sponsor name "Barclays Premier League". But it's the English top league, run by England's Football Association.

Scotland has it's own league. So does Wales, although they have a couple teams which play in the English league as a throwback to days before the Welsh league.

Teams are promoted to the Premier League (and relegated back down again) from the (English) Football League, not the Scottish or Welsh leagues.

But there's nothing British about the Premiership. They're English all the way, and the lion serves them well.

Feel it's a little different since it's called the British Premier League which encompasses both England and Wales, as well as Scotland no?

No.

Well someone should tell Merriam-Webster : http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/britain

Where do you see "British Premier League" in that definition?

Yes, "Great Britain" is the name of the island comprised by England, Scotland and Wales. But the Premier League is not named after the landmass.

Archived