The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

Lord help me, but I actually like this Sabres roster.

Lord help you. This is supposed to be the Sabres suck for McDavid season.

I like this Blue Jackets roster. Three of their top 6 are out, plus their best defenseman, and I don't feel like it's crippled the team. That would've ruined them in years past.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Blue Jackets, by the way, iced a line with Alex Wennberg, Artem Anisimov, and Scott Hartnell whose numbers are 41, 42, 43. I love when stuff like that happens.

*straightens desk, vacuums bedroom obsessively*

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Blue Jackets, by the way, iced a line with Alex Wennberg, Artem Anisimov, and Scott Hartnell whose numbers are 41, 42, 43. I love when stuff like that happens.

Ahh, yes, I forgot you lived here now. Have you scoped out a hockey bar to go to yet?

Watching my first FSN-Whatever broadcast this season and their new scorebug is fine but there is no reason to have the shots on goal attached to it at all times. That's just as ridiculous as having to know what a pitchers pitch count is up to.

Edit: Bah! I didn't mean to make a new post. Dammit.

So it's going to be that sort of season for the Senators... Nothing was particularly good, not too many things were particularly bad.

Anderson was alright, he made some good saves but had some bad positioning as well. Always just flopped over to save a wrap around however, which led to the second Perds goal.

Ceci and Karlsson looked good, Phillips had a nice game, but as a whole, the defense looked a lot like that year, especially with Cowen being so useless with the puck, leading to the third Perds goal.

Zone entries and and exits in the end are what cost the Sens the game, but it's still early and there were some good performances, especially Rinne on the other side saving all those hard shots through heavy traffic. Still no idea how this season will go.

Watching my first FSN-Whatever broadcast this season and their new scorebug is fine but there is no reason to have the shots on goal attached to it at all times. That's just as ridiculous as having to know what a pitchers pitch count is up to.

It's the trend of recent years in sports TV technology to cram yet another piece of factual stats onto scoring bugs. From the number of timeous left for football and basketball, to the pitch count in baseball, and apparently now the SoG count in hockey, it's put in there for our needs.

Apparently.

Clearly, the Minnesota Wild are looking to make a statement in their opener tonight.

Just as clearly, they are succeeding beyond even most Wild fans' wet dreams, mine included.

Tremendous start...let's see whether they can be consistent in the regular season.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Ahh, yes, I forgot you lived here now. Have you scoped out a hockey bar to go to yet?

I haven't looked. I'm living in Queen Anne and I work downtown. Know anywhere good?

Right now I'm doing the subscription to gamecenter and being worthless at work at 4pm thing.

PvO6ZWJ.png

If you didn't see the 3rd period of DAL/CHI, you're missing playoff hockey. Wild, loose, and insane plays by both sides.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Ken Daneyko, who replaced Chico Resch on Devils TV this year, sounds just like Jesse Ventura. I thought I was watching Wrestlemania IV.

Is this Daneyko guy an ex-Navy Seal or something?

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I haven't looked. I'm living in Queen Anne and I work downtown. Know anywhere good?

Right now I'm doing the subscription to gamecenter and being worthless at work at 4pm thing.

Just found out today that Sport Restaurant in the Fisher Plaza is doing Hockey Wednesdays: 4 bottles of Kokanee for $6 and they have Center Ice. Buckley's might also be a good place, they used to have Center Ice. THE place to go would be The Angry Beaver but that's in Greenwood so a little bit of a drive or bus ride. But lots of hockey fans congregate there during the season.

Edit: I just remembered that Seattle finally got its first Buffalo Wild Wings. It's on the west side of the Westlake Center on 4th Ave.

Chris Pronger is going to retire, or not retire, from the Flyers to work in the NHL's Department of Player Safety. This was a decision made within the NHL's Department of Irony. The salary cap ramifications should be interesting. I'm guessing that the Devils set a precedent for Bettman to just call off the rest of the dead cap hit.

Let the boondoggling begin!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Chris Pronger is going to retire, or not retire, from the Flyers to work in the NHL's Department of Player Safety. This was a decision made within the NHL's Department of Irony. The salary cap ramifications should be interesting. I'm guessing that the Devils set a precedent for Bettman to just call off the rest of the dead cap hit.

Let the boondoggling begin!

The Oilers aren't allowed to sign Tkachev but the Flyers are allowed to violate the salary cap to give a job in the player safety department to one of the biggest scumbags of the last few decades. Mario was right, garage league

1zgyd8w.jpg

Sooooooo, that Ducks/Pens game was... interesting. Ducks go down 3-0 with shoddy defensive coverage and play from John Gibson. They then tie the game at 3-3 because of Corey Perry being good and discovering they have a working power play unit this year. They then go down 6-3 because of shoddy defensive coverage and a not so confident John Gibson. Then Corey Perry nets the hat trick on the power play at 6-4 giving some semblance of hope for the last two minutes. Then it's over.

They let up six goals in their opener on the road last year in that blowout to the Avs where there was nothing to take out of it. This was a weird game where they were terrible for stretches and amazing for stretches, so there's good and bad to take out. And it's one game in the home opener of a very good team. It's fine.

I was at the watch party the Ducks had and some of the people there were already in panic mode "PULL GIBSON!" "WHY DID HE START!" "WHERE'S ANDERSEN?" Chill out. It's one of 82. And really, any Ducks fan should be as non concerned as anyone when it comes to regular season wins/losses. They're going to make the playoffs, and they're going to play either the Kings/Sharks/Both in the playoffs. It's all about form and style of play, and they've got six months to figure it out.

---

Speaking of fans that need to relax... Some Oilers fan threw his hoodie (with phone inside) on the ice after Game 1. Now I know it must be frustrating to be an Oilers fan of late, and losing to Calgary, of all teams, in your home opener isn't the way to make you feel any better about the season, but... yeesh.

Bzj6eRyIEAAkPjT.jpg

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

To be fair, the 35+ rule is kind of dumb and should have been amended in the new CBA. I can't stomp my feet and say "but the rules are the rules!" when the NHL has already established that it'll call off the dogs on punishments to appease new investors (the Devils getting a 1st back, waiving revenue-sharing benchmarks for the Coyotes), so it wouldn't be outlandish to cut some longtime investors a break here. Pronger's injury was horrific, they kind of derped their way into the 35+ penalty in the first place, and I don't think this is what anyone had in mind. If the Flyers pay him the rest of his contract (minus what he makes from the NHL) and just erase the rest of the cap hit, I don't think it would be a complete travesty.

What is a complete travesty is doing this whole song and dance under the pretense of giving CHRIS PRONGER a job in PLAYER SAFETY. What's he doing, keeping the seat warm for Torres?

Three stars from Winnipeg's 6-2 win in Phoenix:

Third star: Blake Wheeler, 2 goals, 1 assist, +2

Second star: Bryan Little, 2 goals, +1

First star: Shane Doan, 1 assist, 1 fighting major

I know it's the home opener and they want good feelings (especially after a 6-2 skunking), but this is why people make fun!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived