The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John Tavares made a really heads-up play in tonight's lone game. With the Islanders on the power play and a delayed penalty signalled to Carolina, he immediately passed to the nearest defender to stop the clock and maximize the time spent five-on-three. Boychuk scored on the two-man advantage, then Brock Nelson scored one second after the second penalty elapsed. That one move basically led to two goals. Here's hoping for a full season from the other JT.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

John Tavares made a really heads-up play in tonight's lone game. With the Islanders on the power play and a delayed penalty signalled to Carolina, he immediately passed to the nearest defender to stop the clock and maximize the time spent five-on-three. Boychuk scored on the two-man advantage, then Brock Nelson scored one second after the second penalty elapsed. That one move basically led to two goals. Here's hoping for a full season from the other JT.

I think the Carolina TV guys (John Forslund and your buddy Tripp Tracy) even mentioned that this was a helluva smart play.

Greensboro-sized crowd enjoying the proceedings in Raleigh this evening.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

In fairness, they aren't exactly playing a big road draw.
It's the home opener. That should be a draw by itself, one would think.

And I say this as a guy who likes the Carolinas, Phoenixs, and not-quite-Miami-but-kindas of the world.

In fairness, they aren't exactly playing a big road draw.
In fairness, they're offering 4 tickets with hot dogs, popcorn, and sodas for $99 when the reigning Stanley Cup champions come to town for a weekend game.
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Eric Staal scoring a goal with 94 seconds left trailing 5-2 is like the Eric Staaliest scoring play ever. This guy gets like 75 points a year and none of them mean diddly sh-t.

Incidentally, I flipped over from MSG+ to Fox Sports South during intermission and it was just in time to see Don Waddell's fat stupid face opening and closing about how Ron Francis and "the hockey side" are working closely with his business side to build the roster. Well, that's encouraging. He was also visibly wearing a dingy white t-shirt under his dress shirt, which I liked, because if any president of a multi-million-dollar business is going to look like the assistant manager at a branch bank, it would have to be Don Waddell.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Eric Staal scoring a goal with 94 seconds left trailing 5-2 is like the Eric Staaliest scoring play ever. This guy gets like 75 points a year and none of them mean diddly sh-t.

Incidentally, I flipped over from MSG+ to Fox Sports South during intermission and it was just in time to see Don Waddell's fat stupid face opening and closing about how Ron Francis and "the hockey side" are working closely with his business side to build the roster. Well, that's encouraging. He was also visibly wearing a dingy white t-shirt under his dress shirt, which I liked, because if any president of a multi-million-dollar business is going to look like the assistant manager at a branch bank, it would have to be Don Waddell.

I watched that intermission interview. I kept waiting for Waddell to mention his 5-year plan....

Archived