Sanic

The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

They should have opened last Friday and finished the season a week earlier. I'm getting tired of mid-June hockey.

John Tavares made a really heads-up play in tonight's lone game. With the Islanders on the power play and a delayed penalty signalled to Carolina, he immediately passed to the nearest defender to stop the clock and maximize the time spent five-on-three. Boychuk scored on the two-man advantage, then Brock Nelson scored one second after the second penalty elapsed. That one move basically led to two goals. Here's hoping for a full season from the other JT.

John Tavares made a really heads-up play in tonight's lone game. With the Islanders on the power play and a delayed penalty signalled to Carolina, he immediately passed to the nearest defender to stop the clock and maximize the time spent five-on-three. Boychuk scored on the two-man advantage, then Brock Nelson scored one second after the second penalty elapsed. That one move basically led to two goals. Here's hoping for a full season from the other JT.

I think the Carolina TV guys (John Forslund and your buddy Tripp Tracy) even mentioned that this was a helluva smart play.

Greensboro-sized crowd enjoying the proceedings in Raleigh this evening.

In fairness, they aren't exactly playing a big road draw.
It's the home opener. That should be a draw by itself, one would think.

And I say this as a guy who likes the Carolinas, Phoenixs, and not-quite-Miami-but-kindas of the world.

In fairness, they aren't exactly playing a big road draw.
In fairness, they're offering 4 tickets with hot dogs, popcorn, and sodas for $99 when the reigning Stanley Cup champions come to town for a weekend game.

Only one NHL game tonight.

Guess the NHL didn't want to go up against the ALCS.

On the flipside, there are fifteen games scheduled for tomorrow.

Even the NHL hates the NLCS matchup, and it's not even the same sport.

Eric Staal scoring a goal with 94 seconds left trailing 5-2 is like the Eric Staaliest scoring play ever. This guy gets like 75 points a year and none of them mean diddly sh-t.

Incidentally, I flipped over from MSG+ to Fox Sports South during intermission and it was just in time to see Don Waddell's fat stupid face opening and closing about how Ron Francis and "the hockey side" are working closely with his business side to build the roster. Well, that's encouraging. He was also visibly wearing a dingy white t-shirt under his dress shirt, which I liked, because if any president of a multi-million-dollar business is going to look like the assistant manager at a branch bank, it would have to be Don Waddell.

Los Angeles. The $86 game is ring giveaway night and the $56 game is the Ducks.

imexljezp4x32tjllykt.gif

Nice. From the same team that introduced their mascot by having him kill a firefighter.

It's good to see they're installing that truculence early in the Flames system.

Eric Staal scoring a goal with 94 seconds left trailing 5-2 is like the Eric Staaliest scoring play ever. This guy gets like 75 points a year and none of them mean diddly sh-t.

Incidentally, I flipped over from MSG+ to Fox Sports South during intermission and it was just in time to see Don Waddell's fat stupid face opening and closing about how Ron Francis and "the hockey side" are working closely with his business side to build the roster. Well, that's encouraging. He was also visibly wearing a dingy white t-shirt under his dress shirt, which I liked, because if any president of a multi-million-dollar business is going to look like the assistant manager at a branch bank, it would have to be Don Waddell.

I watched that intermission interview. I kept waiting for Waddell to mention his 5-year plan....

5436ea7301732.preview.jpg

5436dfd81e99e.image.jpg

Pretty lame mascot. <_<

5436ea7301732.preview.jpg

5436dfd81e99e.image.jpg

Pretty lame mascot. <_<

Seriously though, were they all out of dalmatian costumes at Party City that day?