The XFL: A Retrospective

IceCap

Just watched the video of the Las Vegas Outlaws offense introducing themselves. That was painful. Especially white guy from Hilliard, Ohio Mike Furrey who coached my cousin for half a season at Kentucky Christian.

I also remember him from the Lions and Browns. Had no idea he was an XFLer.

Well there's a name I haven't heard in a HOT minute and completely forgot about.

Didn't the Lions and/or Rams play Furrey at safety? Not talking about one of those "stick a WR in as a 9th DB in super-hella-prevent Hail Mary" situations, but as an actual starter?

Also, fun fact, Madden 2005 (or maybe 06) was extremely kind to Furrey. He'd blossom into a Pro Bowl receiver with a 90+ rating in that game.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Just watched the video of the Las Vegas Outlaws offense introducing themselves. That was painful. Especially white guy from Hilliard, Ohio Mike Furrey who coached my cousin for half a season at Kentucky Christian.

Well there's a name I haven't heard in a HOT minute and completely forgot about.

Didn't the Lions and/or Rams play Furrey at safety? Not talking about one of those "stick a WR in as a 9th DB in super-hella-prevent Hail Mary" situations, but as an actual starter?

Also, fun fact, Madden 2005 (or maybe 06) was extremely kind to Furrey. He'd blossom into a Pro Bowl receiver with a 90+ rating in that game.

He played Safety in 2005 because the Rams were kind of decimated at the position and Mike Martz was contractually obligated to do something plausible yet utterly bat :censored: insane in order to maintain his "mad football scientist" credentials. Incidentally this was the final instance of this in his Rams career.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If I'm not mistaken, Furrey was rated an 87 in Madden '07. He was rated higher than or equal to rookie Calvin Johnson. Also, he played in the Arena League as well.

Edit: Turns out the 2007 Lions had TWO Ex-XFLers. Paris Lenon was a Memphis Maniac.

I think Mike Furrey and Kevin Swayne were two guys who played in the XFL in the spring, then in the Arena League in late spring/early summer, then right to the NFL for the fall and winter. Basically, they played the most professional football possible in a single calendar year.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Good logo. Bad name.

The league had some real dud nicknames: Enforcers, Hitmen, Maniax, Rage, Xtreme. But there were some good ones in there as well: Outlaws, Demons, Bolts

Here's how I'd rank the identities: Birmingham Bolts, Las Vegas Outlaws, San Francisco Demons, Chicago Enforcers, New York/New Jersey Hitmen, Los Angeles Xtreme, Orlando Rage, Memphis Maniax

I wish this league would've worked and if they hadn't made so many mistakes in their first year they may have gotten a second year to correct their errors and we might still have the XFL.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Good logo. Bad name.

The league had some real dud nicknames: Enforcers, Hitmen, Maniax, Rage, Xtreme. But there were some good ones in there as well: Outlaws, Demons, Bolts

Here's how I'd rank the identities: Birmingham Bolts, Las Vegas Outlaws, San Francisco Demons, Chicago Enforcers, New York/New Jersey Hitmen, Los Angeles Xtreme, Orlando Rage, Memphis Maniax

I wish this league would've worked and if they hadn't made so many mistakes in their first year they may have gotten a second year to correct their errors and we might still have the XFL.

The names were a direct result of Vince's "no animal nicknames" edict. To be honest, I thought we were gonna get an onslaught of wrestler nicknames as team names, I.e. Texas Rattlesnakes, etc

Welcome to DrunjFlix

good shots of how awesome Birmingham's helmets were.

01.jpgXFLBIR.jpg

I wish more teams would utilize that front space on the helmets.

The Chargers should do something like this, as an alternate helmet, of course.

Can't have alternate helmets.

You can if you just replace/remove the decals on your normal helmets.

I don't think so.

The league wouldn't let Seattle have two helmets because it diluted the branding. That's totally apart from safety/equipment concerns. I don't see how they would let a team have alternate helmets today, even if it was just a decal swap.

good shots of how awesome Birmingham's helmets were.

01.jpgXFLBIR.jpg

I wish more teams would utilize that front space on the helmets.

The Chargers should do something like this, as an alternate helmet, of course.

Can't have alternate helmets.

You can if you just replace/remove the decals on your normal helmets.
I don't think so.

The league wouldn't let Seattle have two helmets because it diluted the branding. That's totally apart from safety/equipment concerns. I don't see how they would let a team have alternate helmets today, even if it was just a decal swap.

Alt uniforms are still allowed for two games per year... the Bills just wore throwbacks in week 2. Standing buffalo helmets.

Alternate helmet designs are allowed only in the case of throwbacks.

Are you certain of that? I thought the Buccaneers had to scrap plans to wear their throwbacks as a result of not being able to wear the helmets with them because of the rule change.

IUe6Hvh.png

Are you certain of that? I thought the Buccaneers had to scrap plans to wear their throwbacks as a result of not being able to wear the helmets with them because of the rule change.

That was the old rule. The new ones are more restrictive. Alternate helmet designs are only allowed for throwbacks that use the same base helmet as the primary set.

Isn't that simply because the Bills peel off the "charging" buffalo and replace it with the "standing" buffalo? Same helmet, different stickers. Tampa's uniform would require 2 different helmets, unless you can repaint a helmet in a day (don't the same helmets have to be used in practice as well?), which I don't think you can.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

That was the old rule. The new ones are more restrictive. Alternate helmet designs are only allowed for throwbacks that use the same base helmet as the primary set.

Isn't that simply because the Bills peel off the "charging" buffalo and replace it with the "standing" buffalo? Same helmet, different stickers. Tampa's uniform would require 2 different helmets, unless you can repaint a helmet in a day (don't the same helmets have to be used in practice as well?), which I don't think you can.

Ohhh, okay, I see how Ice_Cap meant that now. I wasn't thinking about that in the sense of just replacing the decals. The base helmet part makes sense. Out of curiosity, how do face masks play into that rule? Can those be changed?

IUe6Hvh.png

Good logo. Bad name.

If it were up to you, what names would you have given the teams?

Archived