the admiral

Please ban hammer don't hurt 'em

2,419 posts in this topic

z.48-a Hadsk1

wooden-spoon.jpg

完全なスプーンの男

The "what do they bring to the community?" argument only goes so far. McCall and ICS were both talented artists who were jerks when dealing with people. Sooner or later the attitude outruns the conceptual contributions.

I don't disagree with that, attitude is everything. But I was just throwing stuff out there.

z.48-a Hadsk1

wooden-spoon.jpg

完全なスプーンの男

守る正義スプーンの守護者

The "what do they bring to the community?" argument only goes so far. McCall and ICS were both talented artists who were jerks when dealing with people. Sooner or later the attitude outruns the conceptual contributions.

I don't disagree with that, attitude is everything. But I was just throwing stuff out there.

I had forgotten about ICS, great designer but man was he harsh on his 50 states hockey jersey concepts. Talk about a temper.

z.48-a Hadsk1

wooden-spoon.jpg

完全なスプーンの男

守る正義とスプーンの守護者

スプーンハンバーガーの壮大な保護に多くの良い

Dsc04414a-300x229.jpg

.FPeg

I wasn't around during ICS' time so I don't know anything about him, but at least McCall was humorous. Phantomdreamer's banishment on the other hand, was long overdue. And wonderbread's is justified considering his constant attacks on him as well as crownking.

Also, is it just me or would have this thread been quickly deleted had it not been started by admiral? I'm not accusing you mods of favoritism, but I'm assuming it was let go because it was probably not intended to be 100% serious, which is just his schtick.

I think the deal with wonderbread that bothered me most was that he was always so negative. He'd be the very first to tell someone they didn't do a good job, but nothing more. No points of emphasis to work on, nothing. And even when the designer replied, WB would pretty much tell the person they were wrong. It was much worse during the instagram-takeover too.

I get that certain people are the walking definition of Backseat Mod. However, the 'yh' thread talked about the value of that very thing.

Just curious.

スプーンは再び偉大さまで上昇する

何性交、みんな?

I get that certain people are the walking definition of Backseat Mod. However, the 'yh' thread talked about the value of that very thing.

Just curious.

The yh thread actually discouraged "backseat mod" behaviour by asking people to report things they felt were out of bounds to the mods. He didn't ask you or anyone else to take it into your own hands, which is what a backseat mod would do.

Also, is it just me or would have this thread been quickly deleted had it not been started by admiral?

No. There have been plenty of "let's talk about what the mods are doing" threads over the years and they've all been allowed to stay open so long as decorum was maintained. As has been the case here. Regardless of who started it.

スプーンは再び偉大さまで上昇する

何性交、みんな?

私は考えている

What exactly are the rules, anyway? Granted, it wasn't an intensive search, but I don't see any posted or pinned topics outlining the rules. One poster got a suspension because he posted too many pictures.

Perhaps it's time that there be some set guidelines and breakdown of how many warnings a poster gets, how many warnings equal a suspension, various suspension lengths, and banishments. It does give the look of punishments randomly being dished out. And also show what caused member(s) to get warned/suspended/banned.

I don't know if I agree with something a poster did 7 years ago being able to still be used against them when it comes to current postings. I think there should be some sort of statute of limitations.

It was in the MLB thread. Phantomdreamer was going on about how the Mariners need to bring back the star/trident logo and McCall kept sniping at him every chance he could.

He got banned over that? When I saw he'd been banned, I went to his profile and clicked on posts. It took me right to his exchange with PhantomDreamer in the MLB thread. My first thought after reading those posts was "it must have been something other than this."

I thought the same thing, but maybe some posts were deleted that we are not aware of being posted.

Just out of curiosity, did these guys receive warning points first? How many does it take to get suspended? Once you receive a warning post, are you restricted from posting for a set amount of time? I don't plan on getting any warning points, but I do like to know the rules. Thanks

It was in the MLB thread. Phantomdreamer was going on about how the Mariners need to bring back the star/trident logo and McCall kept sniping at him every chance he could.

He got banned over that? When I saw he'd been banned, I went to his profile and clicked on posts. It took me right to his exchange with PhantomDreamer in the MLB thread. My first thought after reading those posts was "it must have been something other than this."

The thing about warning points is that they're rather informal. It's not a simple "3 warning points equals a week suspension" formula or anything like that. They exist as a means to streamline the process of, well, warning people. A pm can be ignored. A warning point cannot. When you receive one you have to acknowledge that you have seen it before you can post again. So we know that if we see someone who posts after we've warned them that they saw the warning. Think of it as an express pm that deals with disciplinary matters.

Now it's obviously better to have as few as possible, and none is ideal. That being said? Say you have two over the course of the year, over relatively minor things. That's probably not going to get you a serious punishment, if it even warrants a punishment at all. Someone else without any warning points, however, could be banned without receiving a single one if they do something that warrants a ban right then and there.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the warning point system has only been around since the summer. It's new. No, McCall did not receive any warning points before he was banned. That's mostly down to warning points not being around for the majority of his offences. As LMU said, he's been disciplined before and has been contacted by the mods before regarding his behaviour. He was given fair and adequate warning in the form of pm's from mods and through suspensions that his behaviour was a problem. No, McCall was not banned just for his altercation with PhantomDreamer. It was only when viewed in the context of his past actions that we decided to vote for a ban.

This really clears a lot up, thank you. I was always wondering how it would exactly work, especially since whenever I get on, my eyes don't flash to messages or notifications right away. It's usually me scrolling to the top and realizing, "Hey, I gots somethin'!" So I'm relieved that you guys make sure that we get the warnings. Not that I plan on ever getting any :D

My two cents on the banishments: I never even heard the name Phantomdreamer til just now. I can definitely see why McCall and wonderbread got suspended, but I wasn't around long enough or viewed all the threads to see the ban-worthy things, but I can't say I disagree. As for the Graveyard, I think it was a good idea when it was around. Don't get me wrong, I completely get what you guys are doing with keeping a positive atmosphere, but I think the Graveyard was useful, and it was also quite humorous- *cough* RayLars *cough* :P

There's current members here that were banned with previous accounts before.

If we can verify an IP match, they'll be taken care of. Problem is that with cell phones that have a single IP for an entire network and things such as VPNs, banning IPs can be problematic since it can block a large amount of users. We do the best we can, but the system isn't perfect.

If we can verify an IP match, they'll be taken care of. Problem is that with cell phones that have a single IP for an entire network and things such as VPNs, banning IPs can be problematic since it can block a large amount of users. We do the best we can, but the system isn't perfect.

Understandable.

I know of one that bragged about a new account and has at least five Fantasy sides.

Perhaps we should Goldmine this thread or pin it for future reference so new members know the consequences of our actions and know exactly what mods do to enforce punishment upon rule-breaking.

Perhaps we should Goldmine this thread or pin it for future reference so new members know the consequences of our actions and know exactly what mods do to enforce punishment upon rule-breaking.

We've almost gone full circle.

*insert sarcastic goldmine statement*

"HEY UR NEW HERE LOLOLOLOLOLO"

Every time.

Well when you're fairly new, and act like you know everything about the CCSLC and how it works, people tend to hate you. This is coming from a person who thinks they're still kinda new to these boards.
It's not even that. It's that most of the time those "Goldmine" comments are made in threads that have, maybe, one or two funny posts. So you see some new guy come in and go "LOL Goldmine" in a normal thread and your first reaction is "this person is trying too hard."

It's an OK suggestion to pin this but I think people are going to break the rules regardless of what warnings they are given. The members banned recently were repeat offenders and knew what they were doing as opposed to just being naive or brand new members who didn't know better.

I don't particularly agree with the whole 'new' and 'old' members thing which keeps coming up. I feel that respect here is earned through quality of posts and not the post count and join date.

By the way, admiral. Could you get started on that rivalry thread soon? That sounds like a Goldmine quality topic. ;)